Author Topic: Cambridge 300 from Hauxton on Sat. 26/4/2014  (Read 4089 times)

Re: Cambridge 300 from Hauxton on Sat. 26/4/2014
« Reply #25 on: 26 April, 2014, 08:22:38 pm »
For those that don't know it,  service at Thurleigh farm centre can be a tad slow. Popular with parents and youngsters. Having said that is also a popular cyclists' haunt. So just a heads up really.

It's fine on the 300: Thurleigh is at about 75 km so most riders get there around 10:00, well before the families turn up.

Sorry not to be there myself but I'm helping my sister move house. Good luck to everyone still out in the Cambridgeshire fens! I look forward to seeing your ride reports.

« Reply #26 on: 27 April, 2014, 08:51:30 am »
What a great route! The weather forecast wasn't promising at all and it started raining as we left. But by the first cafe stop it had brightened up and turned out to be a really nice day. I rode with Pedal Castro as we seemed pretty similarly matched pace wise. I was glad to have company into the headwind as I was really struggling at that point so a wheel to hold on to was great. We were back at the hall just before eleven and the food was appreciated. In fact the ten mile ride back to my bed didn't feel that bad.

« Reply #27 on: 27 April, 2014, 06:21:04 pm »
I was in thinking mode, so preferred riding much of it on my own, although I was thankful when the two guys I saw at Market Deeping caught me in the headwinds. I ECE'd the ride without breakfast, trying to burn fat by riding steady, so the beans on toast at Thurleigh (usually have cake there on club runs) was my breakfast. As usual, I hadn't studied the route, so didn't realise I'd be on our club run territory (I saw Team MK friends on a puncture stop after Harrold. I was glad we were only doing the climbs to Wymondham one way (Teethgrinder took me on a DIY 200 there last year, aargh!). I hated the headwinds after there (I used to be better, with clubmates sheltering behind me), but what doesn't kill you....! Got to the point, as usual on long rides (although I had no problem eating on LEL), where I couldn't face solid food, surviving from Market Deeping on an energy drink, chocolate milk and water. The soup and coffee at the end was gratefully received (wish I'd had the stomach for the cakes and biccies). I think I'm going wrong when I mix energy products, fizzy drinks (which I've had on the last few audaxes) and real food. I couldn't even eat my oatsosimple porridge bars, which isn't normally the case. I had a bus shelter sleep on the way home (I kept closing my eyes on the bike) of 40 minutes or so, and was home just after 3:30 (avg mph was 1.5 slower than the outward leg).

Anyway, a good, but tough, route, I thought.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

JJ

« Reply #28 on: 27 April, 2014, 11:18:07 pm »
My, that was a tough one.  My longest ride since last PBP.
In spite of the breeze, I never quite dried out completely from the morning rain.  Too many layers, I guess.

I was extremely glad of the company of Steve and Kate, intermittently in the run up to the Windmill Cafe, and then in more of a TTT - echelon-style as we turned gradually into the wind afterwards.

I swear you can see the curvature of the earth on some of those gun-barrel straight fen roads - Ye Gods they are boring!  Then on the more serpentine roads leading in towards Chatteris, we had a nice echelon-left/echelon-right thing going, but still, it felt like awfully hard work for 23kph!

After Chatteris I blew up rather, and was grateful to be nursed along for a 9.30 finish.  The last two miles from Hauxton home seemed endless.

Good route.  Knackered rider.  A bitTM worried about the BCM on the basis of that.

« Reply #29 on: 28 April, 2014, 09:54:51 am »

This was my first audax, and also my first DNF… which was almost a DNS as my ride partner overslept badly and we didn’t leave till 715ish so not a great start. We made good time, in spite of the rain. After about 30miles I realised I really should have forced down the breakfast I couldn’t face at 5am… We made it to the control in time and on to thurleigh in time to see some other late starters enjoying food. The section to Mkt H’boro started to get a bit lumpy for us fenlanders but it did make a nice change – at this point we noticed my rear wheel was not true – quick consult in the bike shop (that was handy!) told me that the rim had split at the eyelet… spokes fettled to keep me moving but some funny feelings coming through said wheel made me nervous descending and now I can’t use bottom gear, 10miles later I cant use bottom two gears, well timed just as the bigger and more frequent hills arrived. Made it through the hills to Windmill café and great almond cake! Off to Deeping going well, arrived there almost exactly 12hours after starting off so not terrible speed given the hills. Funny thing happened here, we were due to be meeting a friend to ride the last 60 with, but after some conversation we decided we were going to be far too late home so rode to P’boro and got train home! Not quite sure how this happened as I was feeling much better than expected (aside from a bit of cramp.) Have spend lots of time since being annoyed with myself for packing when I could easily have finished in time.

Pluses – speed was good, moving average of 14mph, navigation which caused me stress in the run-up to the ride was trouble free, I wasn’t particularly tired at any point, I can definitely ride the distance, my saddle was as ever supremely comfy (brooks cambium), I managed to avoid gels and the like till after 90miles which was the plan and having lost 20+lbs since xmas I felt strong on the hills. Finally I completed 151miles which is longest ride to date and felt good at the end…

Minuses – DNF was unnecessary and I didn’t really get home that much earlier than I woudl have done if had carried on riding anyway, wheel issues were annoying (second time this has happened), stops were badly planned – should be better organised as we nearly ride past the Thureligh stop and generally took too much time messing around, I think I carried too many gels etc that I didn’t need (but may have done I guess. and as it all fitted in the saddle bag i guess its not an issue. Finally, not as social a ride as i was hoping for as I saw very few others due to our impressively late start

Just like at school, Must try Harder!

« Reply #30 on: 28 April, 2014, 01:52:46 pm »
Well done under the circumstances, Vs4b.  Next time don't listen to whoever suggested packing - this should be the nuclear option used for disasters only!  ;D

I enjoyed it despite a series of minor technicals and the 30 miles after Market Deeping, which was mentally and physically sapping.  Glad the rain had stopped by then or I might have joined you on the train!
The sound of one pannier flapping

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #31 on: 28 April, 2014, 03:05:26 pm »
Vs4b, I think you did quite well after all said and done. I would not have managed 151 miles and congratulations on the weight loss, I cannot seem to shift anything

« Reply #32 on: 28 April, 2014, 05:03:57 pm »
Vs4b - have you thought of starting with a 200?!?!?!! That seems like a good balance between doability and getting all those little details sorted. 300 is a big ride first up, so well done for getting so far in. One thing I have found about loooong rides is that thinking suffers greatly and logic goes out the window, so don't beat yourself up about it!

« Reply #33 on: 28 April, 2014, 06:00:07 pm »
Well I suppose I could have done a 100 or 200 first, but i've ridden that far before, so it didn't seem enough of a challenge!

In the cold light of day, I think the only thing that really did for me was being offered the chance to stop. It hadn't entered my mind not to finish until it was mentioned! Ironically if id been alone at Deeping i'd have happily carried on. I was still enjoying myself. The distance and hills were genuinely (and quite surprisingly) no problem at all. granted I hadn't met the wind properly at that point, but my twice weekly commute is 50miles round trip over the fens, so the headwind is nothing out of the ordinary. I think that riding a little slower than normal and eating mainly proper food was the key. Now trying to find another accessible 300 or planning to just go out and get it done in early June solo. Even thought about a 400 and looked at a 600!, but I seriously think I better tick off a 300 before getting carried away! :-)