Author Topic: Bought any camping gear today?  (Read 331930 times)

jogler

• mojo operandi
Re: Bought any camping gear today?
« Reply #675 on: 20 July, 2012, 04:37:17 am »
I recently spent 3 nights in my new-to-me Akto & used a 6mm foam mat instead of a Prolite: much warmer & not much less comfortable than the Prolite.

« Reply #676 on: 20 July, 2012, 09:35:05 am »
I recently spent 3 nights in my new-to-me Akto & used a 6mm foam mat instead of a Prolite: much warmer & not much less comfortable than the Prolite.

You must be a hardy soul Jogler!  :)

I don't think I could manage on a 6mm cc mat anymore. Thermarest Neoair for warmer nights and Exped Downmat 7 for cooler nights is my bed  :)
Never knowingly under caffeinated

« Reply #677 on: 20 July, 2012, 09:47:13 am »
Just arrived in this morning's post: an Evernew 400 ml Ti mug from Bob at backpacking light.co.uk that will be my new 'cooking' pot.

Wider and squatter than my current one so it should be more stable on my DIY hexy burner. It's also 4 grammes lighter and has got insulated handles!
Plenty of space inside for stove, can opener and folding spoon but still not room for my soup whisk.  :(
Never knowingly under caffeinated

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #678 on: 20 July, 2012, 02:10:53 pm »
An MSR Hubba HP tent, and an Exped Schnozzle pump bag for inflating our Downmats.

Bought from the wonderfully helpful Adam at Elite Mountain Supplies.

Can't wait to try the Hubba.
a great mind thinks alike

« Reply #679 on: 20 July, 2012, 02:19:23 pm »
An MSR Hubba HP tent, and an Exped Schnozzle pump bag for inflating our Downmats.

Bought from the wonderfully helpful Adam at Elite Mountain Supplies.

Can't wait to try the Hubba.

Good little tent, see my review in the reviews section http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=48829.0.   You will need some extra guyline & a couple of runners though, it only comes with 1 length.

I ordered a Synmat UL and a Schnozzle from Adam, he said they had no Schnozzles in stock.  The synmat turned up yesterday, hopefuly the Schnozzles in the post
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #680 on: 20 July, 2012, 02:24:24 pm »

I don't think I could manage on a 6mm cc mat anymore. Thermarest Neoair for warmer nights and Exped Downmat 7 for cooler nights is my bed  :)

I haven't slept on a foam mat since I was a scrawny wee whippersnapper with no hips (not a coincidence).  They always did a pretty reasonable job warmth-wise, but are completely unforgiving of lumpy ground and lumpy bodies.   :hand:

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #681 on: 20 July, 2012, 02:26:23 pm »
Good little tent, see my review in the reviews section http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=48829.0.   You will need some extra guyline & a couple of runners though, it only comes with 1 length.

I ordered a Synmat UL and a Schnozzle from Adam, he said they had no Schnozzles in stock.  The synmat turned up yesterday, hopefuly the Schnozzles in the post

The Schnozzle is out of stock (for me too) but in "at the end of the month" - I can wait.

After getting my Downmat a bit wet when my Quechua groundsheet leaked I'm tempted to switch to Synmats but can't afford it at the moment.

Your review of the Hubba was one of the reasons I bought one.  :thumbsup:

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #682 on: 20 July, 2012, 02:31:36 pm »

I haven't slept on a foam mat since I was a scrawny wee whippersnapper with no hips (not a coincidence).  They always did a pretty reasonable job warmth-wise, but are completely unforgiving of lumpy ground and lumpy bodies.   :hand:

I've never really had a problem with them on any ground and foam mats were incredibly light. The main problems with them was pack size, ripping big lumps out of them on tree branches while walking and the fact they always wanted to roll up again.

Then again I slept on a camp blanket over a concrete floor at the Winter camping weekend so I think I can probably sleep on just about anything.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #683 on: 25 July, 2012, 04:08:44 pm »
Our new Hypercamp Palamos 6 arrived this afternoon  :thumbsup:

Can't wait to get home from Istanbul to get it up in the garden.

Also ordered a G3 Rocket stove  ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #684 on: 25 July, 2012, 07:17:10 pm »
A YKK slider to attempt to mend our Hilleberg. Updated review of the zip issue here http://www.woollypigs.com/2012/07/review-hilleberg-kaitum-3gt-zip-frustration/

Coffee maker
« Reply #685 on: 25 July, 2012, 07:24:35 pm »
An Esbit coffee maker, I will use it on a mini stove. Esbit tabs take too long to brew up when you're thirsty! It should fit into my mini rack bag nicely  :thumbsup:

http://www.esbit.net/product-detail/items/20102400-stainless-steel-coffee-maker.html
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #686 on: 25 July, 2012, 09:36:24 pm »
Some mantles for my little Coleman F1 lantern.  They don't last long when it's rattling around on the back of a bike.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #687 on: 25 July, 2012, 09:51:45 pm »
Explain advantage of mantle over LEDs please. Ta.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #688 on: 25 July, 2012, 10:00:35 pm »
Explain advantage of mantle over LEDs please. Ta.

Warms your arse on a cold ride? ;D
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #689 on: 25 July, 2012, 10:01:20 pm »
Ah that makes sense thinks.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #690 on: 25 July, 2012, 10:22:36 pm »
5 litres of meths from our local hardware store.   Works out at £1.55 per half litre whereas the price on the high street for a half litre bottle is £3.50 or higher in Rugby.   :thumbsup:

Still way over the odds compared to spiritos in Holland for about £1.00 per litre   :-\

Swiss tool
« Reply #691 on: 26 July, 2012, 08:26:36 am »
Victorinox Swiss tool. My leatherman wave is past it's sell by date and a bit worn and slack  :-[

On the plus side, the Victorinox is a little beauty  :thumbsup:
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #692 on: 26 July, 2012, 08:36:04 am »
I was horrified to learn on Sunday, when Jane an I needed a small infusion of red wine, that the beautiful Swiss Army Knife that Dez bought me a year or so ago and had engraved with my name is devoid of a corkscrew!

It does have a chisel, though, and I levered most of the cork out with that and pushed the rest into the wine.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Swiss army knife
« Reply #693 on: 26 July, 2012, 08:39:31 am »
If you're desperate a cork can be removed with the pliers, as Ive discovered  :thumbsup:

If you're really desperate your teeth will probably do  ;D

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #694 on: 26 July, 2012, 08:45:40 am »
The solution is to take another Swiss army knife. The pliers on my newest SAK are potentially very useful, as is the saw. There's very little overhead in including another, which has just 6 tools: two blades, a tin opener, a bottle opener, a corkscrew and the thing for getting stones out of horses' hooves, which also doubles up as a thing for getting shards of flint out of bicycles' tyres.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #695 on: 26 July, 2012, 11:09:17 pm »
Some of the Leatherman "Juice" tools have a corkscrew that functions like a waiter's wine tool. Screw in the corkscrew, place the half-open bottle opener against the bottle next to the cork, and lever the cork out. Much more dignified than trying to haul the cork out by brute force with a SAK.

« Reply #696 on: 27 July, 2012, 10:46:04 pm »
new mantle for campinggaz lamp
she was quite innocent, 'till she got that bicycle - sykurmolanir

« Reply #697 on: 27 July, 2012, 11:14:56 pm »
Hillberg Nallo 3GT :)

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #698 on: 28 July, 2012, 07:44:32 pm »
GSI Pinnacle Soloist cookset.  And an extra-large spork.

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #699 on: 30 July, 2012, 02:11:38 pm »
Got one of those tiny little Fenix lanterns but got it from Maplins.

I'll leave it in the tent so it doesn't get forgotten. When I get my new tent, that is.