Author Topic: Bought any camping gear today?  (Read 335249 times)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: Bought any camping gear today?
« Reply #1150 on: 11 May, 2015, 12:58:40 pm »
Does it count if you know it won't be used for camping purposes?

Last week I bought a folding fork and ditto spoon.  Both from Decathlon.  Only £3 each, so pretty good VFM.

These are for when I am being Billy No Mates and not wanting to spend $silly_money in hotel restaurants, so go for a take away (I HATE sitting alone in restaurants).

They may get re-purposed if I do get my ass into gear and organise another Catalonia trip!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #1151 on: 13 May, 2015, 12:40:51 pm »
Not bought, but given. A rather nice titanum spork (and a drawing of me on a bike), from my niece for my birthday. She knows what's up!

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #1152 on: 13 May, 2015, 01:30:19 pm »
Synmat UL9W for Dawn.
Big Agnes insulated air core mat for me.
Tatonka pole for me when solo camping with just a tarp  ;D

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #1153 on: 13 May, 2015, 01:31:27 pm »
Not bought, but given. A rather nice titanum spork (and a drawing of me on a bike), from my niece for my birthday. She knows what's up!

Sweet :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #1154 on: 08 June, 2015, 12:42:34 pm »
Bought a new tent at the weekend. The older family tent was up all week, awaiting me packing it away, but its been wet recently and then the wind didn't do much good for the old sun scorched nylon. Both sides ripped about 2 foot at the 'sleeping end', so it was either repair (professionally or myself with Spinniker tape) or buy a new one. Well finding a good one of the bunch we were looking at we ordered an Outwell Whitecove 6 online.

I'm looking forward to trying it out when it arrived before the next weekend.

I also bought a few bits from Maplin, a camping light and a mini BBQ I saw on a video about the Aldi "20 tent currently for sale. Asda sell 'Grab Bags' of charcoal which fit in it perfectly and you only have to light the paper for it to start. It works very well, and packs away very small. I recomend it for not perhaps cycle camping but certainly a small BBQ to take away with you in the car where you can source these small BBQ coals from local supermarkets.

(I found this even cheaper online when looking for a link)

http://www.outdoorcampingdirect.uk/mini-pack-away-bbq.html?gclid=CO6d0teGgMYCFTPMtAodNi0AeQ

Dave C
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

« Reply #1155 on: 15 June, 2015, 03:00:34 pm »
Three weeks ago, just before going to Scotland:
An Alite Mayfly chair, as a substitute for a Helinox chair.

The Helinox is too tall to use inside a tent, and may make holes in the groundsheet if the tent is a big one (my mate also managed to kick over the BBQ, so there were more & bigger holes than mine to worry about), and the legs sink into softish ground.

The Alite chair is usefully lighter and smaller-packing than the Helinox, sits me low enough to use inside (bum about 2" off the floor), and doesn't have sharp feet (I used an empty Ortlieb underneath, on the grounds of better safe than sorry).

« Reply #1156 on: 15 June, 2015, 10:16:51 pm »
Three weeks ago, just before going to Scotland:
An Alite Mayfly chair, as a substitute for a Helinox chair.

The Helinox is too tall to use inside a tent, and may make holes in the groundsheet if the tent is a big one (my mate also managed to kick over the BBQ, so there were more & bigger holes than mine to worry about), and the legs sink into softish ground.

The Alite chair is usefully lighter and smaller-packing than the Helinox, sits me low enough to use inside (bum about 2" off the floor), and doesn't have sharp feet (I used an empty Ortlieb underneath, on the grounds of better safe than sorry).

I've just used mine for a night away and it's not only stable but very comfortable AND you can reach the stove easily as well!
Reine de la Fauche

« Reply #1157 on: 19 June, 2015, 02:59:38 pm »
Just taken delivery of a Big Agnes Air Core sleeping mat and a set of stainless steel folding cutlery. My overnight audax set up is now complete.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #1158 on: 14 July, 2015, 10:33:13 am »
I may be partaking in the purchasing of some last minute camping gear today (new head torch / stove fuel and camping food), as I've just this minute booked an overnight pitch at Comrie Croft campsite for tomorrow night (Wed 15th July).  Will be a good test of my new Wild Country Trisar 2 tent, prior to me meeting up with a college chum at the weekend for a camping trip to Killin!   ;D

« Reply #1159 on: 14 July, 2015, 02:40:12 pm »
Hilleberg Nallo GT2 - yes I know it was expensive but is lovely!
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #1160 on: 14 July, 2015, 06:15:51 pm »
A mesh inner tent for my Hilleberg Soulo. No significant weight savings according to my kitchen scale, but I'm looking forward to a little more ventilation on my planned trip to the Wind River range next month. Now if my employer would just respond appropriately to my request for a week off...

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #1161 on: 19 July, 2015, 09:54:39 pm »
A got a Synmat 7 yesterday, which does seem far comfier than my self inflating mat I used last tour :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1162 on: 21 July, 2015, 12:53:06 pm »
Good choice! :thumbsup:
Getting there...

« Reply #1163 on: 21 July, 2015, 02:12:31 pm »
Good choice! :thumbsup:

A got a Synmat 7 yesterday, which does seem far comfier than my self inflating mat I used last tour :)

Equally good choice  :thumbsup:
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Andrew

« Reply #1164 on: 22 July, 2015, 12:14:11 pm »
Alpkit Numo sleeping mat.

My old Thermarest is still going strong. Sadly, I am not. Despite having more padding on me, I needed more padding on the mat too. It will be trialed later this month when I head down to the Semaine Federale.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #1165 on: 22 July, 2015, 12:27:02 pm »
Alpkit brewkit with birthday money from my eldest 2  :thumbsup:

« Reply #1166 on: 29 August, 2015, 09:02:08 pm »
An enormous tent - at least by my standards. Plenty of room for us and the dog!

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/arpenaz-4-family-tent-4-man-id_8322425.html

Tried it out last night and tested it for waterproofness today - absolutely fine. Hoping to use it to do some more distant rides next year. T'other half will go geocaching with the dog while I struggle round an audax!
Reine de la Fauche

« Reply #1167 on: 19 September, 2015, 07:20:42 pm »
I've bought a new winter sleeping bag, a RAB accent 900.  :thumbsup:
Don't ask.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1168 on: 23 September, 2015, 10:32:05 pm »
I was watching a Nallo 2 on Ebay tonight. Only used 3 times, £450 starting bid. In the end I didn't bid, despite being sorely tempted. No-one else did either. I'm sort of regretting it, but I have too many tents.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1169 on: 24 September, 2015, 07:27:02 am »
I bought a DD 3x3m tarp.  It's what we really needed all along.
Getting there...

« Reply #1170 on: 06 October, 2015, 04:54:00 pm »
Finally ordered the Octane 3 from Blacks with a futher 15% discount!  :thumbsup: (its yellow but will live with that.)
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #1171 on: 07 October, 2015, 07:52:04 pm »
Honey Stove, meths, and a folding plate/bowl/sup/spoon set from backpackinglight (well, not the meths). Arrived in time for the weekend too  :thumbsup:

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #1172 on: 01 November, 2015, 01:19:50 am »
No, but toying with the idea of adding a tarp onto a tunnel tent.  Except the tarp I was looking for on sale weighs 1.8kg (including pole) which is nearly as much as a tent. 

Still, it looks like a not-bad idea, 'specially if you take your backpacking tent car camping as well 'cause it's your only tent.  Like me.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #1173 on: 12 November, 2015, 08:38:56 pm »
Oh, just some drybags and stuff...

(click to show/hide)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1174 on: 12 November, 2015, 08:43:57 pm »
 :o

Any CrinklyCubs in need of a bivvi bag?