Author Topic: Bought any camping gear today?  (Read 331910 times)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Re: Bought any camping gear today?
« Reply #200 on: 09 May, 2011, 11:41:45 am »
Can anyone recommend a nice light camping mug which makes sipping tea a pleasure rather than a mouthful of plasticky-yuckiness?  ??? Preferably, we'd like two which can stack, one inside the other.

I have the MSR Ti mug.  Admittedly it was something of an extravagance, but it weighs virtually nothing and doesn't make tea taste of anything other than tea.

Unless you've dropped it in something vile first, of course...
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #201 on: 09 May, 2011, 11:42:44 am »
My Nallo 3GT has arrived but I've got to go for a blood test and then do some work* so I won't be able to pay with it or a while.

*play games with children

Surely the kids would love to put a tent up with you? ;)
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #202 on: 09 May, 2011, 11:44:30 am »
Can anyone recommend a nice light camping mug which makes sipping tea a pleasure rather than a mouthful of plasticky-yuckiness?  ??? Preferably, we'd like two which can stack, one inside the other.

I have the MSR Ti mug.  Admittedly it was something of an extravagance, but it weighs virtually nothing and doesn't make tea taste of anything other than tea.

I don't know what brand Butterfly's Ti mug is, but it does taste.  Not bad, exactly, but it gives a slightly metallic flavour to tea :(
Getting there...

« Reply #203 on: 09 May, 2011, 11:49:06 am »

I don't know what brand Butterfly's Ti mug is, but it does taste.  Not bad, exactly, but it gives a slightly metallic flavour to tea :(

It is entirely possible that some peoples taste buds are more sensitive to the metal alloys mixed in the Ti than others. It sounds like peli may be pretty sensitive to things taste wise.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #204 on: 09 May, 2011, 11:49:18 am »
My Laser Photon 1 tent has arrived *happy dance*
It came in an infeasibly small packet that the delivery driver nearly managed to put through my letter box  ;D

I trust you've put it up already?  I know I wouldn't have resisted ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #205 on: 09 May, 2011, 01:09:33 pm »
It came in an infeasibly small packet that the delivery driver nearly managed to put through my letter box  ;D

I know I was amazed at how small the package was, and I still am.  The stuff sac feels positively cavernous, so it's always easy to get the tent back in!
Actually, it is rocket science.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #206 on: 09 May, 2011, 02:28:13 pm »
I'm now the proud owner of a Downmat.  I hadn't realised quite how much smaller it packed compared to Regular Airic, given the relatively small weight difference.  That's a definite win.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #207 on: 09 May, 2011, 02:42:54 pm »
Sleep well and have beautiful dreams. :)
Getting there...

« Reply #208 on: 09 May, 2011, 03:53:06 pm »
It came in an infeasibly small packet that the delivery driver nearly managed to put through my letter box  ;D

I trust you've put it up already?  I know I wouldn't have resisted ;D

I actually haven't yet, mostly because I have a completely dysfunctional right hand at the moment (half of it is numb with pins and needles, I can't even hold a knife or fork in it!) after Saturday's audax riding with only a front brake down Ian H's local mountain (Ok it was more of a hill but it felt like a mountain at the time). As soon as I have enough use of it back to grip anything I will try out my camping gear in the garden :)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #209 on: 09 May, 2011, 03:59:50 pm »
Mr R has decided he quite likes car camping... but that we need a new tent.  One that you can stand up in and which has a covered seating area.   :thumbsup:

Now I just have to stop him buying any old tat off the interweb because it's cheap and he thinks it looks nice...  :-\
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #210 on: 09 May, 2011, 04:05:18 pm »
A spot of fettling of Priscilla's hitch should suffice ;)

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #211 on: 09 May, 2011, 04:23:20 pm »
Mr R has decided he quite likes car camping... but that we need a new tent.  One that you can stand up in and which has a covered seating area.   :thumbsup:

Now I just have to stop him buying any old tat off the interweb because it's cheap and he thinks it looks nice...  :-\

I can recommend the Outwell Arizona L for such purposes. Nice big bedroom, decent living space with an awning option.

a great mind thinks alike

« Reply #212 on: 09 May, 2011, 06:25:52 pm »

Plenty of Cabanon Aruba's on Ebay - should get a decent one for about £150.  Cotton tent, so warm and waterproof in winter and cool in summer. 

Checkout the UKCampsite forum for advice :thumbsup:

« Reply #213 on: 09 May, 2011, 06:41:13 pm »
Yay, my Exped inflatable pillow has also arrived  :thumbsup:

It's little sac is tiny and it's incredibly light.
I very nearly have a complete camping set up!

« Reply #214 on: 09 May, 2011, 06:51:39 pm »
Exped pillow is very good. I prefer it to the Ajungilak which I've used in the past.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #215 on: 09 May, 2011, 06:55:15 pm »
Ah, that's a point, the Ajungilak arrived while I was away, and gets the barakta cuddle of approval.

Rumours of it being a complete bastard to get back into the stuff sack weren't exaggerated, though, were they?

« Reply #216 on: 09 May, 2011, 07:08:19 pm »
Nope, it's a pain!  Fold in 3 and then roll tightly.   The fluffy cover is nice, but I found the plug on mine to be a bit unreliable. The 2 x one way valves on the Exped (inflate/deflate) are a better design.

Both beat realising that you've been using the chamois of your rancid cycling shorts as a pillow though.... :sick:

« Reply #217 on: 09 May, 2011, 07:16:01 pm »
My dog is now seriously in the dog house. She managed to get hold of my lovely new Exped pillow in its little package and thought it was a dog toy. She has chomped the edge of one of the valves and slobbered on it  >:(
I've just rinsed off the slobber and will have to check if the valve is still operational when it's dry. If not then my collie owes me £20, what a bitch!

« Reply #218 on: 09 May, 2011, 08:29:16 pm »

« Reply #219 on: 09 May, 2011, 08:58:05 pm »
They don't nest, but don't taste at all, can be used to make tea from loose leaves, or coffee from filter coffee, are light, insulated and cheap. Also spotted in Avatar!
Culinaire One Cup Cafetiere : Coffee : Drinks : Kitchenware
I paid about £5 for mine, shop around.

« Reply #220 on: 16 May, 2011, 08:20:52 am »
Purchased an Easy Camp canopy/shelter so we don't have to struggle with a gazebo for additional space when we pitch our Khyam Winnipeg.
Also got a Cadac Safari Deluxe which should compliment our double burner/grill nicely for some BBQ/Wokking action.......

Saw the new Vango airbeam tents in the flesh too. Very impressed to say the least. Thought that it would be a bit of a gimmick and the beams would have the strength of a paddling pool but they seem very strong and easy to pitch. It took 6 pumps to fully inflate 1 of the 3 beams and it can be pitched "in one" without separating the inner which means a 4/6 person tent can easily be up within 5-10 minutes. The air beam feels very similar to the material used on a bouncy castle.
I'm going to watch very closely over the next 12 months with how they do in the field and am seriously considering replacing our 2 bigger tents with the Infinity 400 and extension (especially when the prices drop!)
Check out my blog: Aspiring Rouleur
Twitter: DKNWHY

« Reply #221 on: 16 May, 2011, 06:38:56 pm »
My dog is now seriously in the dog house. She managed to get hold of my lovely new Exped pillow in its little package and thought it was a dog toy. She has chomped the edge of one of the valves and slobbered on it  >:(
I've just rinsed off the slobber and will have to check if the valve is still operational when it's dry. If not then my collie owes me £20, what a bitch!

I now have another Exped pillow, and also an elastic camping washing line and a really nice Sea-to-Summit silk sleeping bag liner. I even bought some insect repellent.
I think I am now ready for my very first cycle-camping expedition!

First though I will pick the dog crap up off the lawn, mow it and practice putting up my new tent in the garden  :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #222 on: 16 May, 2011, 06:49:56 pm »
I now have another Exped pillow, and also an elastic camping washing line and a really nice Sea-to-Summit silk sleeping bag liner. I even bought some insect repellent.

Dog repellent would seem to be more useful...

« Reply #223 on: 16 May, 2011, 07:05:35 pm »

Dog repellent would seem to be more useful...

Yeah, the dogs will not be invited on my camping trip, I expect as well as chewing up my stuff they would walk straight through the flimsy walls of my 700g tent!

« Reply #224 on: 16 May, 2011, 08:47:03 pm »
Sort of a camping purchase - membership to the c&c club ready for a family trip to pevensey for half term. Can't wait!
Check out my blog: Aspiring Rouleur
Twitter: DKNWHY