Author Topic: My Auntie  (Read 2030 times)

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
My Auntie
« on: 04 March, 2009, 09:56:40 am »
I'm fairly sure this is my dad's sister, Auntie Belle. It has 1934 in my dad's writing on the back of the photo.

She lived in Inverness, and I remember her in the 1960's still riding her bike round the town.  8)
I don't recognise the bike, but that could be the Raleigh heron on the headtube.
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

clarion

• Tyke
Re: My Auntie
« Reply #1 on: 04 March, 2009, 10:03:56 am »
I think Butterfly will be after that hat.

Thanks for posting such a lovely picture.  It's easy to forget how normal it was for normal people to do normal things on normal bikes.

Hooray for Auntie Belle!
Getting there...

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: 04 March, 2009, 10:18:07 am »
How fabulous was she?

Brilliant photo, eck  :)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Chris S

« Reply #3 on: 04 March, 2009, 10:24:22 am »
Excellent picture! I love old photos like that. I have one of my Dad somewhere, about to set out on his bike from Leeds to Chesham.

I was chatting to my Mum t'other day, about her Land Army days in the war. Turns out she trained at Hambleden House, near Henley, and stayed there during the week, then cycled home to Chesham. Anyone who rides around there will know it ain't exactly fenland round there, and she rode a sit-up-and-beg-gas-pipe-singlespeeder type thing, basket on the front and box tied to the back.

"Wasn't that hard work?" I asked innocently.
"Only when the doodle-bugs were landing in Wycombe as I rode up Wycombe Hill..." she replied.

And I thought I was rufty tufty...  ::-)

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #4 on: 06 March, 2009, 01:58:18 pm »
Hello? It's a lady… on a bike.

She's obviously just holding it up so the chap can take a photo of his machine.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

fuzzy

« Reply #5 on: 07 March, 2009, 09:27:55 pm »
Excellent picture! I love old photos like that. I have one of my Dad somewhere, about to set out on his bike from Leeds to Chesham.

I was chatting to my Mum t'other day, about her Land Army days in the war. Turns out she trained at Hambleden House, near Henley, and stayed there during the week, then cycled home to Chesham. Anyone who rides around there will know it ain't exactly fenland round there, and she rode a sit-up-and-beg-gas-pipe-singlespeeder type thing, basket on the front and box tied to the back.

"Wasn't that hard work?" I asked innocently.
"Only when the doodle-bugs were landing in Wycombe as I rode up Wycombe Hill..." she replied.

And I thought I was rufty tufty...  ::-)

Not enough doodle bugs IMHO ;)