Author Topic: Fenland Friends/Yorkshire via Essex [Flatlands Reversed] 600 8th September 2018  (Read 43974 times)

There will be at least 2 velomobiles taking part, myself starting from Sleaford and John starting from Essex (maybe 1 more there).  I'm aiming for a sub 24hr ride, so may be rushing about a bit at controls.

Ian

Where do those of you doing Yorkshire via Essex plan to sleep (if at all)? I aim to do around 400 on Saturday before grabbing a few hours sleep in a cheap hotel. Don't have bivvy kit and don't fancy sleeping in a hedge/bus stop. Lincoln is around the 400km mark - any suggestions?

cyclinggeezer

• Cyclinggeezer
Spalding travelodge is an option at about 330km, Lincoln has a Holiday Inn Express en route and a Premier Inn not far off route. Boston has nothing btw. The Lincoln Travelodge is way south of the City off the bypass and about 20 mins off route.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There's a Premier Inn in Boston.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Where do those of you doing Yorkshire via Essex plan to sleep (if at all)? I aim to do around 400 on Saturday before grabbing a few hours sleep in a cheap hotel. Don't have bivvy kit and don't fancy sleeping in a hedge/bus stop. Lincoln is around the 400km mark - any suggestions?

The villages along the Ridge, north of Lincoln, have a collection of the finest 5 Star Bus Shelters on the planet. There should be blue plaques on them for the number of randonneurs who have ticked the Bus Shelter experience off their Must-Do List...just bring an extra layer and a woolly hat and you'll be comfy. A wooden bench is like eiderdown after 400km  :thumbsup:.

hmmm....a quick check on Google street view and the bus stops North of Lincoln do indeed look rather swish (as bus stops go). Best option so far is looking like Travelodge in Boston but will check with my pal who's riding with me (although he's just done Transcontinental so will no doubt be happy with a hedge or ditch).

I've just done Transcon and I'm definitely going for a hotel (or brothel).

The villages along the Ridge, north of Lincoln, have a collection of the finest 5 Star Bus Shelters on the planet. There should be blue plaques on them for the number of randonneurs who have ticked the Bus Shelter experience off their Must-Do List...just bring an extra layer and a woolly hat and you'll be comfy. A wooden bench is like eiderdown after 400km  :thumbsup:.

Thanks Tomsk.
I am just heading into my 4th 400 since May but 600 is unknown for me so although I have booked the Travelodge fro Friday and Sunday nights I was unsure and wanted to be flexible for Saturday.....this suggestion might just fit the bill. 

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
I'm now "in".

I'm tempted to ride the route check — in order to check the GPX/TCX files.  The long weekend provides a day to recover without clients noticing.

However, the 100+ expected starters from Essex, plus not stamping cards at Red Lodge this year (thank you Dod for taking on Chatteris ;) ), and crossing over with the Sleaford starters, mean I'm also tempted to ride with the crowd and enjoy some company.

Either way, it'll be a hedge-stop in a bivvy bag.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

cyclinggeezer

• Cyclinggeezer
Organiser top tip of the day.

When entering either Yorkshire via Essex  or Tom's Fenland Friends make sure you understand where the starts are. Hint- they are in different places

I've signed up for the start from Sleaford. Anyone want to go halves on a Premier Inn in Boston?

Phil W

Good luck to those on the helpers ride this weekend.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
Yet another Helpers' Ride where it'll be a case of: "we get wet, so you don't have to!" I've arranged some cracking weather for my events using this formula!

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
So, a good Helper's Ride and route check with Kate-the-Plumber. Met cycling geezer en-route checking Y via E. No mechanicals or other incidents, other than the odd ignorant motorist.

Lots of corrections and additions needed for the route sheet and information, so expect a mailing later this week.

Food Score: 2 Wetherspoons, 2 McD's, 2 cafes, 2 garages and a Costa. 200km of NW headwind, still, clear, but cold overnight, 200km of strengthening SW headwind, rain increasing through Cambridgeshire southwards. Tough ride, but quick-ish, mainly due to Kate's relentless pace-setting, I think. I'll do a ride report to send out too, if I've time.

Sounds like you had fun?

I'm looking forward to this ride :thumbsup:

So, a good Helper's Ride and route check with Kate-the-Plumber. Met cycling geezer en-route checking Y via E. No mechanicals or other incidents, other than the odd ignorant motorist.

Lots of corrections and additions needed for the route sheet and information, so expect a mailing later this week.

Food Score: 2 Wetherspoons, 2 McD's, 2 cafes, 2 garages and a Costa. 200km of NW headwind, still, clear, but cold overnight, 200km of strengthening SW headwind, rain increasing through Cambridgeshire southwards. Tough ride, but quick-ish, mainly due to Kate's relentless pace-setting, I think. I'll do a ride report to send out too, if I've time.
No sleep stop?
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

I rode the northern end last week, you'll be pleased to know the A161 between Crowle and Goole has got a nice new tarmac surface. Some broken glass on the cycleways around the Goole control to be aware of though.

:'( Unfortunately I will no longer be able to do this ride.
 O:-) However, it does mean that somebody(ies) else can have my room at the Stansted Great Dunmow Travelodge on the night of Friday 7th.  I paid £35 for it in April, in a fit of over-optimism, but not fussed about being paid anything for it.  First come first served - send me a message.
Steve

The room has now gone - someone replied within seconds.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
Ah well. Having sworn on the penultimate day of LEL that I would never ride across those bloody fens again.... entry sent  ::-)

Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
No sleep stop?

The favourite bus shelter on the ridge as usual for a nap  :thumbsup: I had my down jacket with me, but Kate was travelling commendably light, so we couldn't stop for long. One day there will be a blue plaque on it, but I can't reveal which/where, as it's been booked by ACME for the duration... ;D

Not entirely sure this is sensible, but have entered.

Being unprepared heightens  nerves - James Galway.
Turn, turn, turn again
Turn, turn to the rain
And the wind

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
Sadly, the weather forecast is looking rather benign so looks like I'll have to do this.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Yet another Helpers' Ride where it'll be a case of: "we get wet, so you don't have to!" I've arranged some cracking weather for my events using this formula!

Those bus shelters have passed their glory days of the mid 1990's when they had hanging baskets but are still good for a sleep.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
I can't reveal which/where, as it's been booked by ACME for the duration... ;D

If it's the one I think it is (discussed/pictured in previous Flatlands threads), I have it marked as a waypoint on my Garmin, but it's going to be full by the time I get there, isn't it?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Full = warmer :)