Author Topic: insurance for audaxing abroad  (Read 5677 times)

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
insurance for audaxing abroad
« on: 05 September, 2018, 01:22:28 am »
does AUK insurance cover us?
what about british cycling ride insurance?
if neither what do people do? is it worth checking my regular travel insurance?

Eddington  127miles, 170km

Re: insurance for audaxing abroad
« Reply #1 on: 05 September, 2018, 01:34:00 am »

No. It's only valid during AUK events in the UK - and in any case it's insurance of last resort, so will only come into play if you have no other insurance that covers you.

Not sure about BC, but you may be covered for 3rd party liability under your home contents insurance or under any travel insurance policy you have. Cover while cycling tends to be pretty well hedged with caveats though: when I've looked at the detail of previous travel policies, they've excluded cover where cycling was the main purpose of the trip.

(I've been shilling for Pedalcover in Peter's thread on home insurance, so I might as well continue that here: they're explicit on the website about providing £2m of liability cover with home and travel insurance, and including cover during events. We've got our home insurance with them, and I'll be tempted to go with them next time we renew our travel insurance, as long as the quote is sensible.)

« Reply #2 on: 05 September, 2018, 06:36:50 am »
I have just renewed my travel insurance, and I made sure that I was covered for cycling. The answer seems to be that I am ( with the possible exception of “ races”). Riding with others non- competitively seems fine.

Don’t forget that after March it likely that the only use for a EHIC card is to scrape frost off a windscreen. Travel insurance will no doubt have to reflect this in the cost.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: 05 September, 2018, 06:53:10 am »
Be careful. Some insurance companies see randonnees as races, despite all the evidence otherwise. Others only cover cycling during your trip if the trip isn't primarily for the cycling. It isn't fun to be surprised in this regard.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #4 on: 05 September, 2018, 07:18:37 am »
Another option might be applying for membership of a local cycling body which usually offers 3rd party liability insurance.

« Reply #5 on: 05 September, 2018, 07:41:47 am »
Dave and I both bought ETA cycle trip insurance for BOB  £17 for a week including cycle repatriation and insurance plus no he***et clause.

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
« Reply #6 on: 05 September, 2018, 08:49:27 am »
Dave and I both bought ETA cycle trip insurance for BOB  £17 for a week including cycle repatriation and insurance plus no he***et clause.
Thanks. On train to London on way  to BOB and realised I'd forgotten. Free WiFi on South West Trains. ETA website here I come.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #7 on: 05 September, 2018, 09:14:56 am »
CyclingUK membership includes 3rd party cover on the continent (if that's all you want!):

https://www.cyclinguk.org/sites/default/files/document/2017/11/2017_11_10_third_party_faqs_.pdf

11. I plan to ride a sportive event on the Continent next year. Does Cycling UK insurance
cover me? Although it’s not a race, you are timed around the course and some people treat
it like a race.
Answer: Yes, provided you are normally resident in Great Britain, the Channel Islands, Northern
Ireland or the Isle of Man and it is not a racing event.

12. Am I covered by Cycling UK insurance when I attend the Semaine Fédérale?
Answer: Yes, provided you are normally resident in Great Britain, the Channel Islands, Northern
Ireland or the Isle of Man and it is not a racing event.

14. Am I covered if I participate in time trials?
Answer: Yes – both full Cycling UK members and affiliated members
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #8 on: 05 September, 2018, 10:19:28 am »
I just took out a 12 month policy for around £50 to include travel to the US.  On reading the small print, it get's excited about incidental and non-incidental cycling (whether you go there planning to do it), so I've paid an extra £25 to cover non-incidental.  There is a h**t clause, but as RUSA mandate them anyway I figure no great loss.

Also covers for £5k luggage value.
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #9 on: 05 September, 2018, 10:24:47 am »
There is a h**t clause, but as RUSA mandate them anyway I figure no great loss.

He***t content:
(click to show/hide)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #10 on: 05 September, 2018, 10:29:05 am »
So you have paid over the odds for 12 months of mandatory helmet wearing wherever you ride your bike on holiday. To Pub/shops/promenade. As I said ETA ticks all the boxes.

« Reply #11 on: 05 September, 2018, 02:31:51 pm »
Just to throw another name into the mix, I've used "Yellow Jersey" cycle insurance when doing a triathlon overseas. Can't comment on h*lm*t clauses as you have to wear one for triathlon anyway.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #12 on: 05 September, 2018, 02:43:37 pm »
My last travel insurance lot were Alpha travel insurance, covering my tour of the Netherlands and Germany - I went through the brevet I planned to do in the Netherlands on the phone with them to make sure it was covered under "cycle tourism."

This gave me 9 days of cover for £6.13 under their Alpha 175 package (https://www.alphatravelinsurance.co.uk/cover-table/) including my ferry trips which I thought was a pretty cracking deal to be fair. I scarcely tour abroad for the time being but I'd consider a longer term policy if/when I come into more funds.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #13 on: 05 September, 2018, 04:18:33 pm »
My last foray to europe via eurostar, I bought their single trip insurance. Not a lot to pay - about £5 - and seemed to cover most things though bike insurance would be a bit light for some.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #14 on: 05 September, 2018, 04:41:10 pm »

No. It's only valid during AUK events in the UK - and in any case it's insurance of last resort, so will only come into play if you have no other insurance that covers you.

What about a AUK DIY in Netherlands?
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #15 on: 05 September, 2018, 06:13:30 pm »
Not in the UK

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #16 on: 05 September, 2018, 06:20:16 pm »

What about a AUK DIY in Netherlands?

Forget it, you're best getting your own cover. I speak from experience...........

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #17 on: 05 September, 2018, 08:37:50 pm »
Yeah I just checked the auk website and its only Uk. So CTC it is then.
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #18 on: 06 September, 2018, 09:46:47 am »
So you have paid over the odds for 12 months of mandatory helmet wearing wherever you ride your bike on holiday. To Pub/shops/promenade. As I said ETA ticks all the boxes.

No, not sure I have.  The helmet requirement is for non-incidental cycling i.e. planned events and touring.  Incidental use is also covered and at that point it's just a recommendation.  As for over the odds, given that this is insuring the luggage and any medical needs too I didn't think the price was that far off the mark...
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #19 on: 09 November, 2018, 12:33:45 pm »
Been considering some of the Irish (who insist on liability insurance) and Dutch Brevets (don't see a mention of it)

Had a read of the ETA insurance pages and then e-mailed them because I couldn't see any reference to covering personal liability outwith the UK.
Response I got was that unfortunately they can't cover personal liability while cycling abroad in either their travel insurance or cycle travel insurance   :(

Although that's the only thing I see in their cover (both bike insurance and travel), so that plus CTC membership might add up better than the other options I've seen to get that.

hm...

« Reply #20 on: 09 November, 2018, 01:51:49 pm »
Ive seen no mention on this thread, but what about Pedalcover? 

https://pedalcover.co.uk/get-insurance-cover/cycling-holiday-travel-insurance/
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #21 on: 09 November, 2018, 02:43:39 pm »
Ive seen no mention on this thread, but what about Pedalcover? 

https://pedalcover.co.uk/get-insurance-cover/cycling-holiday-travel-insurance/

Had a quick play and read, comes out at 64 quid for me with up to level 2 sports.
Personal liability appears to be covered for cycling, but is Audax/Randoneuring a tour, an event or a race?!

think the ETA Cycle Touring said around 30 quid, and then put CTC membership on top of that to get the personal liability plus what ever else you'd get out of membership.

hm...
I don't need new travel insurance until April though and by then any policy that relies on the EHIC for basic cover (many demand a significant excess if you don't have an EHIC or haven't got it) may be a tad more expensive...

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #22 on: 09 November, 2018, 03:44:59 pm »
Remember auk members can get CTC affiliate membership which includes 3rd party insurance for not a lot. Need to check t&cs but possibly cheapest option.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #23 on: 09 November, 2018, 03:57:20 pm »
Remember auk members can get CT affiliate membership which includes 3rd party insurance for not a lot. Need to check t&cs but possibly cheapest option.

£25 quid, aye.

« Reply #24 on: 09 November, 2018, 04:05:53 pm »
Been considering some of the Irish (who insist on liability insurance) and Dutch Brevets (don't see a mention of it)

When you enter a Dutch brevet you must tick a box that you have a liabiilty insurance. Since a lot of Dutch household liability insurances cover recreational cycling this is just a formality for most Dutch citizens (except those of extreme religious denomination, I've never seen one of them at an event though).