Poll

What type of rider are you on Audax rides when on the same ride as others that you dont know?

The strong and silent type who is annoyed if there is even a whiff of someone wishing to join you
2 (2%)
One word answers just to say 'hello' but keep moving in order to separate yourself from them
7 (6.9%)
Dont mind the odd chin wag if it is kept to no more than a couple of minutes
48 (47.5%)
Discussions lasting a good half an hour but limiting conversations on hills
33 (32.7%)
Full on conversation which lasts the full distance between control points
11 (10.9%)

Total Members Voted: 97

Author Topic: Chatting during rides  (Read 7830 times)

Chatting during rides
« on: 16 November, 2018, 11:38:40 am »
Not saying one way or the other is appropriate but it would be interesting to hear from others on just how much chat does go on during, say a 200 for example.  I know a friend of mine who doesn't stop talking on rides and yes it can be annoying but sometimes it just nice to let her chat away to me if it's only for the company - and she's happy for me just to give my pennysworth once in a while. 

Does anyone find long conversations a distraction on their rides as surely the miles will fly by when youre not thinking about it?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: Chatting during rides
« Reply #1 on: 16 November, 2018, 12:06:33 pm »

I find people think I'm crazy for talking during bike rides, but that's because I'm cycling alone, and it is commonly assumed that if you are talking to yourself, you're crazy...

I have a friend who has unlimited free calls on their mobile, so I will often cycle along chatting to them on the phone handsfree. But that's about as much talking as I get on a ride...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #2 on: 16 November, 2018, 12:07:23 pm »
It depends what sort of a ride you’re on. Social and touring rides are all about the chatting. I find it nice to have company for some stages of an audax, but am also happy to ride on my own sometimes. If I’m in a group and we’re putting the hammer down then nobody should be able to chat!

The worst type of chatter is the ‘social climber’ who rides alongside you asking you questions on a climb where you are trying hard not to cough up your own liver  ;D

« Reply #3 on: 16 November, 2018, 12:16:32 pm »
The worst type of chatter is the ‘social climber’ who rides alongside you asking you questions on a climb where you are trying hard not to cough up your own liver  ;D

Guilty.

It might comfort you to know that this is usually preceded by some hyperventilating to flood the blood with oxygen so that I can cruise past looking cool as a cucumber while i deliver my salutation.  Keeping up appearances.  :smug:

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #4 on: 16 November, 2018, 12:18:58 pm »
I generally sign up for AUK events and expect to ride mostly solo, although sometimes find people I know at the start. I'm happy to chat to other riders on the road or at controls, but I won't force it if someone seems like the "strong and silent" type.

One of the things I like about AUK rides is that you can be going along the route enjoying your own company and the scenery and that's great. Then you go round a corner and you spot someone's rear light or blue jersey half a mile up the road and that's great. Then you roll up at a Co-op and you see a steel tourer parked up, and you both talk about how the ride's going, and that's great too :)
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #5 on: 16 November, 2018, 06:37:59 pm »
I generally sign up for AUK events and expect to ride mostly solo, although sometimes find people I know at the start. I'm happy to chat to other riders on the road or at controls, but I won't force it if someone seems like the "strong and silent" type.

One of the things I like about AUK rides is that you can be going along the route enjoying your own company and the scenery and that's great. Then you go round a corner and you spot someone's rear light or blue jersey half a mile up the road and that's great. Then you roll up at a Co-op and you see a steel tourer parked up, and you both talk about how the ride's going, and that's great too :)

Same for me - it does help the miles go easier, although I'm relatively slow so my chats are often quite brief.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

« Reply #6 on: 16 November, 2018, 07:06:25 pm »
‘social climber’

Teehee!

A formerly famous auk was known for his non-stop conversation.  Someone asked him what happened when he got out of breath on a hill.  He replied that he then just talked out of his arse.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #7 on: 16 November, 2018, 08:21:59 pm »
My best rides have all been those where I had some good chatty company for a while, but with quite long sections alone with my thoughts and the scenery.

It's quite a trick to arrange this deliberately!

You can't have an interesting chat in 2 minutes. It's human nature to need a bit of a warm-up, and I think we all talk more easily with someone after we've gotten to know them a little.  :-*
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #8 on: 17 November, 2018, 12:45:29 pm »
Some people are better at converstaion than others. I generally wouldn't start a chat with someone I don't know - other than saying hello. It's the people who try too hard that piss me off. I remember being asked on PBP if I did many Audaxes. I simply replied with "Yes", but I wanted to say "Of course I fucking do! How do you think I qualified and got the legs to do this?!" Having said that, it's great when someone just rides next to you and starts randomly talking about something you're actually interested in...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #9 on: 17 November, 2018, 05:07:52 pm »
Cycling back from a long 65 miler (still about 12 to go) and me feeling knackered.
Rider appears behind me from nowhere:
Rider: Where are you going?

Me: Home.
Rider: Where's that then?
Me: Over there (pointing in the general direction ahead).
Rider: Where have you been?
Me: Nowhere; I haven't stopped anywhere.
Rider: How many miles have you done?
Me: xx
Rider: I've done xx+.
Me: Don't let me hold you up.
Rider: Where do you live?
Me: (Tells him the town).
(Silence for a few seconds).
Me: Ok,,, where do you live and where have you been?
Rider: (Continues to tell me).
(Silence for a few seconds).
Me: Don't let me slow you down.
Rider: See you then.
(Rider disappears down the lanes)......

Further on two riders pass me. Hello from them and me. One of them has a mechanical that
is soon sorted. A steep descent followed by a very short sharp hairpin climb. One rider passes
me, the second rider comes alongside, huffing and puffing:

Rider: Where have you been?
Me: Not far.
Rider: How many miles have you done.
Me: About xx.
Rider: I've done xx++
Me: Don't let me slow you down.

Both conversations went on far too long, as I was only interested in getting home.
Sometimes I think some riders assume they're more interesting than they actually are*. :demon: 

*Yes, I know they're trying to be friendly.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #10 on: 17 November, 2018, 06:07:30 pm »
Both conversations went on far too long, as I was only interested in getting home.
Sometimes I think some riders assume they're more interesting than they actually are*. :demon: 

*Yes, I know they're trying to be friendly.
The latter seems to be a BIG tactical mistake if you meet some of the posters on this thread!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #11 on: 17 November, 2018, 07:12:23 pm »
Amyone who has had the misfortune to ride with me knows I can talk endlessly. However, I doff my hat to boab, whose excellent storytelling has sustained me for a whole 600 without a break -  a joy. Audaxing accompanied by boab's stories is one of my favourite things!

« Reply #12 on: 17 November, 2018, 07:32:47 pm »
I’ve has some fascinating chats on rides, but other times have dropped off to get rid of people. That’s the beauty of audax.

Redfalo wrote a good blog about it: “Why long distance cycling is like Tinder without the sex....” https://cycling-intelligence.com/2018/05/25/ten-things-ive-learned-in-55-audaxes-and-16785-long-distance-km-since-2014/

« Reply #13 on: 17 November, 2018, 07:58:32 pm »
I have ridden with The Straggler for hundreds of hours, sometimes we talk, later on in the rides we have to focus and talk less, plenty of time to chat at the cafe controls then back to business.

« Reply #14 on: 17 November, 2018, 11:00:26 pm »
I'm happy to chat but don't get the hump I'd people don't.
Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.

« Reply #15 on: 17 November, 2018, 11:19:40 pm »
When I cycle to an event, I look forward to riding alongside and chatting to people (and chatting at the controls too). Doesn’t always happen though. When I ride home, I sing to myself (sometimes to stay awake if tired).
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #16 on: 18 November, 2018, 07:50:30 am »
I always ride solo, not by choice but because of speed differentials and physically not being close which I need to be as I'm very deaf and need fairly hefty hearing aids normally. Inability to hear is also hindered by sitting in a loud vibrating box, and despite being very deaf I wear ear plugs to stop any further hearing loss due to the wind noise and cacophony of bangs and clangs.

This ^^^ makes for every ride being a lonely ride, which I have always then turned into a "time trial" I guess I'm used to the mental solitude now!

PS I didn't vote as there wasn't a box for "forced solitude".

« Reply #17 on: 18 November, 2018, 01:58:32 pm »
When you encounter someone weaving from side to side, and not making a lot of sense, at 2am in the middle of nowhere, then making conversation to judge their state comes under the heading of 'duty of care'.

Some encounters are interesting for both parties, and you end up making a new friend. Others result in the person you've spent time reviving riding off into the night, just as you hit a slump yourself.

During daylight hours it's likeliest that you'll end up conversing with someone who matches your pace. In my case that tended to be tandems. The usual scenario being that I'd been dropped from a group on a hill, started to drift as I tired into a headwind, and tagged onto the wheel of a passing rider, or tandem.

Solos quite reasonably expect you to take a turn on the front once you've recovered, tandems often don't. Parasitic wheel-sucking is a bit embarrassing socially, so pulling alongside for a bit of a chat is normal.

Audax is unusual, as participants come from a wide range of backgrounds, and from around the country. It's normal around here to chat at supermarket tills and bus-stops. Visitors from other parts of the country sometimes ask where you know the stranger you've been talking to from. They're a bit perplexed when you say that you've never met them before.

« Reply #18 on: 18 November, 2018, 04:19:58 pm »
I'm very much looking forward to having a few chats on the Moonrakers and Sunseekers overnight 300 next Friday. Might be quite (mentally) tough to get round without the camaraderie of shared madness on a chilly ride starting in the dark.

« Reply #19 on: 18 November, 2018, 05:27:28 pm »
I'm very much looking forward to having a few chats on the Moonrakers and Sunseekers overnight 300 next Friday. Might be quite (mentally) tough to get round without the camaraderie of shared madness on a chilly ride starting in the dark.
Don’t be surprised if you find yourself chatting away for hours, then wondering who on earth you were talking to when you arrive at the control and can actually see people!!

j_a_m_e_s_

• Prisoner 17091
    • AUK results
« Reply #20 on: 18 November, 2018, 05:34:00 pm »
Don’t be surprised if you find yourself chatting away for hours, then wondering who on earth you were talking to when you arrive at the control and can actually see people!!

It's a full moon next week. Clear skies and you'll see the spots on the end of people's hairs.
Rule 77

« Reply #21 on: 18 November, 2018, 05:35:41 pm »

True. Done that many times *.

* Or they've decided "quick, move before he realises we're gone".

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #22 on: 18 November, 2018, 10:06:17 pm »
Could be any but the first one, all depends on the mood I'm in, if I've time to be sociable and the sort of bike talker the other person is.

In the right mood and riding with the right sort of bike talker I'll fly along and not notice the effort.

One of the guys in my MTB club decided to ask me about my holiday plans while we were climbing the Fungle Road out of Tarfside, he'd spotted I was close to hopping off for a walk and decided to distract me from it, got to the top pretty easily when distracted.

« Reply #23 on: 19 November, 2018, 09:12:14 am »
I've missed many a turn due to chatting.

« Reply #24 on: 19 November, 2018, 09:49:59 am »
Apart from a handful, most of the riders that I've came across on events are some of the most unsociable people I've met.
Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.