Author Topic: [HAMR] The Tommy Godwin record thread for things too unimportant ....  (Read 48002 times)

Re: The Tommy Godwin record thread for things too unimportant ....
« Reply #275 on: 19 March, 2015, 12:15:12 pm »
Why does HAM'R have an apostrophe?
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

« Reply #276 on: 19 March, 2015, 12:22:04 pm »
Because HAMR is a Heat Adaptive Modular Rifle, and if that abbrev was used, the CIA, FBI and MI5 would be picking up the site every day, and get sick and tired of it, to the point of covertly closing the site.

TBH, its the perfect tool for popping gibbons out of trees.  :demon:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #277 on: 19 March, 2015, 12:30:37 pm »
Work it out.
For Horizontal distance its 60 kCals/km and for Vertical distance its mass in kg x g x metre gained, in Joules.
4.2 kJ per kCal.
It can't be 60kcal/km, can it? That would make 12,000kcals for a "mere" 200km audax, before you add in any climbing, and that can't be right. Besides, surely it depends how fast you ride, what the wind's doing, and other factors?

He's WALKING.
Who's walking? I thought it was about how much energy Steve uses.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #278 on: 19 March, 2015, 12:34:07 pm »
Goodness gracious and other mild exclamations.  I hope I haven't brought YACF to the attention of the mighty forces of gibbon protection.  I lead a sheltered life.
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

« Reply #279 on: 19 March, 2015, 12:42:07 pm »
Work it out.
For Horizontal distance its 60 kCals/km and for Vertical distance its mass in kg x g x metre gained, in Joules.
4.2 kJ per kCal.
It can't be 60kcal/km, can it? That would make 12,000kcals for a "mere" 200km audax, before you add in any climbing, and that can't be right. Besides, surely it depends how fast you ride, what the wind's doing, and other factors?

He's WALKING.
Who's walking? I thought it was about how much energy Steve uses.

It was.

The topic expanded to compare Steve’s efforts with other activities. Like “How many times must I climb Ben Nevis to equal Steve’s daily calorie burn?”

Then it went to forty walks up the Eiffel Tower because walking upstairs is about the same kCals/min as cycling at 16 mph on the flat.

All I can say for definite is if one follows Steve on one’s bicycle about fifty yards behind, one will experience approximately the same energy expenditure as him, and get a good idea of just how good he is.

TMK, no-one has done that yet.

Man of the Mountains

• Just a ridin' on my chrome horse
« Reply #280 on: 19 March, 2015, 04:12:30 pm »
Muscle fibre trauma is not necessarily based on the absolute physics of the task, but based on the work done relative to the athlete’s capabilities.

Ahh, that explains why I'm always ravishing ravenous for days after a half Abraham!
Question everything, believe nothing.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #281 on: 19 March, 2015, 04:41:55 pm »

For the same reason that RAAM is short for Race Across AMerica, or that Noddy has a bell on his hat?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #282 on: 19 March, 2015, 05:17:53 pm »
I thought Noddy had mirrors on his hat. ???

https://youtu.be/RPTk5poAa1c
Getting there...

macnark

• Cake and Tea solves all.
« Reply #283 on: 19 March, 2015, 06:04:26 pm »

I think the noun they are eluding to is HAMMER so the apostrophe
acts to signify that there are letters missing in that part of the word.

« Reply #284 on: 20 March, 2015, 07:51:55 am »
I thought Noddy had mirrors on his hat. ???

https://youtu.be/RPTk5poAa1c

Mama weer all gibbons now.

« Reply #285 on: 23 March, 2015, 11:32:44 am »
When I lived in Peckham, in the last century this was my local offie.

I first read that as 'office'.

« Reply #286 on: 24 March, 2015, 03:10:38 pm »
Another big question that's going to have me on tenterhooks is whether Steve will reach 1,000,000 kudoses on Strava by year's end.  He'd currently on 150,000.  Will he?  Won't he?

« Reply #287 on: 24 March, 2015, 07:20:30 pm »
A quote from down under

Gabrielle260 on Aussie Cycle Forum

These Poms are strange!
Due to injury I have a bit of time on my hands so I have spent a couple of hours this sunny, beautiful morning reading some of the threads on the YACF forum about Steve Abraham's attempt.
Well, someone worked out that Abraham frequently goes through a village called Marsh Gibbon and started to track how often he did it. That lead to 3 pages of posts.
Then someone proposed ringing the church bells at Marsh Gibbon regularly to commemorate his ride. Apparently if you ring the bells in certain sequences and complexities, it gets recorded in a register for posterity. They have already approached the church and got permission. Two pages of posts.
Finally, someone has produced commemorative tea towels showing how many Marsh Gibbon visits Abraham has done and is running an auction for the limited first run of them. After 2 pages of threads, the bidding is up to 200 pounds sterling with all proceeds going to Abraham's ride.
AMAZING! They truly are a weird lot over there.
As someone said on their forum, I just can't imagine the yanks doing anything like this for Searvogel!
More seriously, I think it is an insight into Abraham's character and reputation amongst the UK Audax fraternity.
Just a thought; can Australia's cyclists get behind Miles Smith to this extent?

A tongue in cheek comment about poms being weird, but spot on about Steves character and reputation.

Thought people would like to know that their efforts have gained worldwide attention.

« Reply #288 on: 24 March, 2015, 08:02:13 pm »
A quote from down under

These Poms are strange!
Due to injury I have a bit of time on my hands so I have spent a couple of hours this sunny, beautiful morning reading some of the threads on the YACF forum about Steve Abraham's attempt.
Well, someone worked out that Abraham frequently goes through a village called Marsh Gibbon and started to track how often he did it. That lead to 3 pages of posts.
Then someone proposed ringing the church bells at Marsh Gibbon regularly to commemorate his ride. Apparently if you ring the bells in certain sequences and complexities, it gets recorded in a register for posterity. They have already approached the church and got permission. Two pages of posts.
Finally, someone has produced commemorative tea towels showing how many Marsh Gibbon visits Abraham has done and is running an auction for the limited first run of them. After 2 pages of threads, the bidding is up to 200 pounds sterling with all proceeds going to Abraham's ride.
As someone said on their forum, I just can't imagine the yanks doing anything like this for Searvogel!
More seriously, I think it is an insight into Abraham's character and reputation amongst the UK Audax fraternity.

A tongue in cheek comment about poms being weird, but spot on about Steves character and reputation.

Thought people would like to know that their efforts have gained worldwide attention.

That is a great post form Gabrielle260.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #289 on: 24 March, 2015, 08:03:26 pm »
Of course, not everybody here is a Pom...
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #290 on: 24 March, 2015, 08:12:04 pm »
Of course, not everybody here is a Pom...
No but, as an outsider living amongst you, I'd say she's got it spot on!   :thumbsup:
Rebecca

2013 custom Enigma Etape
2010 Surly Cross Check
1978 Puch Princess mixte
2012 bespoke Brompton S8L

velovoice.blogspot.co.uk/
@velovoice

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #291 on: 24 March, 2015, 08:19:20 pm »
I'm an Aussie.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #292 on: 24 March, 2015, 08:34:46 pm »

Therefore, 4 mthG is once round the Earth's equator.

Isn't a mthG almost exactly 10,000km?

« Reply #293 on: 25 March, 2015, 08:20:01 am »

Therefore, 4 mthG is once round the Earth's equator.

Isn't a mthG almost exactly 10,000km?
Is that measured on a great circle route passing through Marsh Gibbon?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #294 on: 25 March, 2015, 08:28:27 am »
I'm an Aussie.

It's OK. We won't tell anyone.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #295 on: 25 March, 2015, 08:33:34 am »
There is a good interview with Steve on the Old School MTB site.  :thumbsup:

OSMTB: What inspires you each morning to get back in the saddle?

SA: It is just daily routine; it is not about being inspired, it is just what I am doing.

Typical Teethgrinder.  ;D
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #296 on: 25 March, 2015, 10:02:47 am »
A quote from down under

These Poms are strange!

I'm waiting for when they find the Didcot thread ;D
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #297 on: 25 March, 2015, 10:35:27 am »
A quote from down under

These Poms are strange!

I'm waiting for when they find the Didcot thread ;D
Thanks everyone....
I'll make sure to search out the Didcot thread!

« Reply #298 on: 31 March, 2015, 05:07:42 pm »
Just saw graph for an opinion poll on the news regarding the election, and for a split second I thought it was a process chart for Ham'r.

« Reply #299 on: 31 March, 2015, 05:10:31 pm »
There's an election?