Author Topic: A Pair of Kirtons  (Read 40154 times)

A Pair of Kirtons
« on: 19 March, 2015, 11:38:26 am »
Good new, bad news

The Good News is that there will be a mid-ride ZZZ control on the Pair of Kirtons 600.  Thanks to having interest from more riders than originally anticipated, I've been able to book Corby Glen Village Hall which replaces Colsterworth 24 hour petrol station (which is a dismal place at 2 in the morning).  Corby Glen is at 350km so with a 6am start should be ideally placed for a midnight-ish arrival and a departure before 6am in order to reach the next control within the time limits.  I should be able to deploy food, drink, airbeds and blankets

The Bad News is that I re-counted the parking spaces at our start/finish control yesterday and I will be strictly applying a limit of 100 entries for this PBP qualifier.  Entries are likely to be closing soon, so you should take action immediately.  The Pair of Kirtons 600 is still an X-rated ride, with no facilities at the start/finish, and commercial controls throughout (except at Corby Glen).

Chris S

Re: A Pair of Kirtons
« Reply #1 on: 19 March, 2015, 11:41:39 am »
That Good News is Good News indeed, because the Travelodge at Colsterworth (we stayed there when this was the To Holl and Back) is no more.

« Reply #2 on: 19 March, 2015, 11:56:13 am »
That Good News is Good News indeed, because the Travelodge at Colsterworth (we stayed there when this was the To Holl and Back) is no more.

That's a surprise because when I passed there some months ago - it must have been in September while travelling to the Fenlands 600 - they were refitting the rooms.  And on checking, they are still taking bookings.  I'll have to check this out, as the plan for my own ride the week before is to use Colsterworth, and I suggest it for Perm riders.

« Reply #3 on: 19 March, 2015, 11:57:05 am »
Having booked the Village Hall at Corby Glen it now occurs to be that I would appreciate some help running this control.  I've got the hall booked from 6pm Saturday 6th June until 9am the following morning, and expecting cyclists to come through between 9pm until 5am.

There will be food to prepare, the kettle to keep topped up, air beds to inflate, cyclist to tuck up in bed and to wake up.  Anyone wanting to lend a hand and to see what long distance cycling is all about will be most welcome. 

I might even let you have a lie down yourself when we've tidied up, and then pop over to Colsterworth services for a Little Chef breakfast.  (Hmm, I must check whether this is still open).

Chris S

« Reply #4 on: 19 March, 2015, 11:59:53 am »

That's a surprise because when I passed there some months ago - it must have been in September while travelling to the Fenlands 600 - they were refitting the rooms.  And on checking, they are still taking bookings.  I'll have to check this out, as the plan for my own ride the week before is to use Colsterworth, and I suggest it for Perm riders.

Ah well, in fairness it was our assumption based on the fact that it was boarded up when we went past - so maybe that was due to the refit.

« Reply #5 on: 19 March, 2015, 12:10:28 pm »
I'll check the calendar on this one and see if I can help. Its a nice 100k from my house to Corby Glen and ISTR that I owe you a favour from a poorly planned Llanfair 400. I could also use a little experience in running controls with my aims to bump up from running X-rated events.

« Reply #6 on: 19 March, 2015, 12:59:49 pm »
Although I *very* *much* appreciated the horsebox control, what's now proposed sounds like looxury  ;D

The chances of me getting there with enough time to be able to take advantage of the sleeping facilities are, of course, slim.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #7 on: 19 March, 2015, 03:53:46 pm »
I have been given a pass to come and help and Mrs TSK is threatening to come down and pitch in as well.

« Reply #8 on: 20 March, 2015, 03:46:54 pm »
Am pleased with this good news indeed, no need to take my bivvi now!
I dunno why anybody's doing this!

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #9 on: 20 March, 2015, 04:14:12 pm »

I've booked a room and it still appears online.  I'll check again nearer the time.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #10 on: 23 March, 2015, 08:38:14 pm »
Am pleased with this good news indeed, no need to take my bivvi now!

Just pause a moment while you consider the relative merits of napping in a village hall full of snoring Audaxers, as opposed to sleeping outside in a bivvi.

« Reply #11 on: 23 March, 2015, 08:43:30 pm »
This cannot be over-emphasised.

« Reply #12 on: 23 March, 2015, 08:59:35 pm »
I have been given a pass to come and help and Mrs TSK is threatening to come down and pitch in as well.

I've sent you a PM with the details as I know them as of now, but that would be a great help.  That would make 3 of us, but if anyone else wants to join the party then we'll certainly keep you entertained and occupied at Corby Glen on the night of Saturday 6th June

« Reply #13 on: 29 March, 2015, 03:35:28 pm »

I've sent you a PM with the details as I know them as of now, but that would be a great help.  That would make 3 of us, but if anyone else wants to join the party then we'll certainly keep you entertained and occupied at Corby Glen on the night of Saturday 6th June

Mike, I'll ring you anyway, but in all probablility I should be able to come.  Any chance we could travel down together?  Not essential, though.  I'll ring when you've dried out, maybe tomorrow!

Peter

« Reply #14 on: 30 March, 2015, 05:16:40 pm »

Mike, I'll ring you anyway, but in all probablility I should be able to come.  Any chance we could travel down together?  Not essential, though.  I'll ring when you've dried out, maybe tomorrow!

Peter

That sounds good to me.

« Reply #15 on: 16 April, 2015, 02:10:31 pm »
The Pair of Kirtons 600 gets better all the time, for an X-rated BRM at least.

As well as a sleep stop at 355km (Corby Glen Village Hall), I've now secured a church hall for the start.  This will be available from the Friday evening so you should be able to be ready for the 6am start on Saturday 6th June.  Accommodation (at both Poynton and Corby Glen) will be on the LEL airbeds and blankets, so we're talking real Audax luxury here.

I've reopened the Kirtons 600 for a few more entries, but I can only take about another 20.

« Reply #16 on: 16 April, 2015, 02:14:30 pm »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

hillbilly

« Reply #17 on: 16 April, 2015, 04:27:05 pm »
Out of interest.

Is the title of this ride a pun?

As in the answer to "What do artists draw before they go to bed"

If it is, it's a good pun (but not, I'm afraid, as good as my "Around Weald Expedition").

« Reply #18 on: 17 April, 2015, 12:39:19 am »
The Pair of Kirtons 600 gets better all the time, for an X-rated BRM at least.

As well as a sleep stop at 355km (Corby Glen Village Hall), I've now secured a church hall for the start.  This will be available from the Friday evening so you should be able to be ready for the 6am start on Saturday 6th June.  Accommodation (at both Poynton and Corby Glen) will be on the LEL airbeds and blankets, so we're talking real Audax luxury here.

I've reopened the Kirtons 600 for a few more entries, but I can only take about another 20.

Hurrah. Entered.

Cheap(ish) rail tickets from That London secured as well - I just need to make sure I'm quick enough to get to Stockport for 9pm on the Sunday. Pity whoever is booked into the seat next to a snoring, farting, dribbling, unshowered audaxer. In lycra.

« Reply #19 on: 17 April, 2015, 01:00:45 am »
Out of interest.

As in the answer to "What do artists draw before they go to bed"

If it is, it's a good pun (but not, I'm afraid, as good as my "Around Weald Expedition").

I'm taking it to be reference to the presence of two Kirtons in Lincolnshire, one of which was a control on LEL. The other being Kirton in Lindsey.

Lincolnshire's a funny place, it's got three Parts, Lindsey, Holland and Kesteven. Lindsey is divided into three Ridings, as is Yorkshire.

« Reply #20 on: 17 April, 2015, 07:38:12 am »

Yes we visit Kirton in Lindsey and Kirton near Boston.

As I reached the last but one control on LEL for the second time, I was reminded of those wise words of Paul Anka, as made famous by Frank Sinatra: "and now the end is near and so I face the final Kirton"

« Reply #21 on: 17 April, 2015, 02:18:24 pm »
"and now the end is near and so I face the final Kirton"

;D

« Reply #22 on: 18 April, 2015, 05:44:39 pm »

Hurrah. Entered.

Cheap(ish) rail tickets from That London secured as well - I just need to make sure I'm quick enough to get to Stockport for 9pm on the Sunday. Pity whoever is booked into the seat next to a snoring, farting, dribbling, unshowered audaxer. In lycra.
There is a 7:55 from Stockport to Poynton  you can take your bike on without booking. (Northern Rail)

« Reply #23 on: 18 April, 2015, 10:19:06 pm »
I'll be driving to the start Friday afternoon/evening from Worcester. Will have room for an extra bike if anyone along the M5/M6 corridor wants a lift.

« Reply #24 on: 15 May, 2015, 05:44:49 pm »
I've now updated the route sheet and this can be downloaded from www.DelphCyclist.info/Kirtons.html.  I've added some notes about the Friday night arrangements, and for the mid-ride break at Corby Glen.  (How long does it take to inflate 100 air beds?).  There are also instructions of how to find the finish controller, who will be in the Costa Coffee from midday on Sunday.

The plan is that I'll ride next weekend just to check there are no problems but I'm not expecting major changes.