Author Topic: [HAMR] 29th November - Teethgrinder Day 114/333  (Read 5814 times)

Chris S

Re: 29th November - Teethgrinder Day 114/333
« Reply #25 on: 30 November, 2015, 09:49:36 am »
Does Team Steve really appreciate what a massive undertaking vehicle transfers are potentially going to be?  If Steve does a downwind Godwin, then whoever the kind soul is who ferries him back to MK is looking at a 400-mile round trip drive - 7 or 8 hours of nighttime driving.  Plus it will impact on the quality of Steve's sleep and possibly on his opportunity to eat.  Additional measures will need to be put in place to give him the opportunity to recharge his devices and download to Strava.

I doubt it's meant to be a regular thing - just for the worst days to give Steve some respite.

Charging stuff and data uploads are all possible from a car/van.

I think it's a fair point about degraded sleep, but that's less of an issue if it's just an occasional thing.

Mostly, I think 220 miles of 30mph tailwind would seem to Steve like a day off ;).

« Reply #26 on: 30 November, 2015, 11:57:32 am »
Steve routes, since they don't follow motorways and dual carriageways, tend to meander.

I doubt a return trip by car would be 200miles.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #27 on: 30 November, 2015, 12:19:11 pm »
Steve routes, since they don't follow motorways and dual carriageways, tend to meander.

I doubt a return trip by car would be 200miles.
But neither do motorways and dual carriageways follow the most direct route as the crow flies.  And, with return transport available, Steve would be able to strike out further in a straight line while keeping to a route that keeps the wind at his back... until he reaches the sea.  I suppose it's manageable if the wind's southerly, and he can just get razzed home down the M1, but with a WSW like today, he'd end up in north Norfolk and that's a horrible drive back to MK (and nowhere near 210 miles).

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #28 on: 30 November, 2015, 01:35:04 pm »
to get the "220 miles of tailwind" rest-day effect, he needs to move to Exeter or Llandovery!
(of course that is the flipside of the nice central position of MK)

There are so many variables. I suspect 2 of the biggest are:
- Just how windy is it? (if it's not worthwhile this week, it never will be)
- Is Steve good at sleeping in a nice warm car (not all people are)?

p.s. Nelson! Good luck today/yesterday Steve.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #29 on: 30 November, 2015, 09:25:56 pm »
Something will need to change soon or this attempt will be over. On Jo's most recent chart, it looks like Steve will dip below Kurt's line in 4-5 days with the current daily distances. Ignoring days from the moped accident to the restart, on how many days has Steve ridden further than Kurt? My perception from Strava is that it is <20% and maybe <10%. If so, then recovering from that position will be very tough.

Just to follow-up on this post, checking the data by date from 10th Jan to 28th March and from 27th August to 29th November:
Steve > Kurt by more than 5km, 50 days
Steve ~ Kurt to +/- 5km, 25 days
Steve < Kurt by more than 5km, 100 days

So my perception was wrong  :D and it is much higher at about 33% (In terms of total distance over those dates, Kurt is about 1125km up on Steve).