Author Topic: [HAMR] 29th December - Teethgrinder Day 144/363  (Read 5978 times)

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
[HAMR] 29th December - Teethgrinder Day 144/363
« on: 29 December, 2015, 08:44:52 am »
Calling Teethgrinder or the crew, where are you we're all worried.
No tracker, no Strava, no messages for yesterday  ???

what else am I going to do at work all day

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
Re: 29th December - Teethgrinder Day 144/363
« Reply #1 on: 29 December, 2015, 10:34:09 am »
The curious incident of the missing cyclist 

Allez Steve

« Reply #2 on: 29 December, 2015, 11:26:05 am »
He is off. Tracker just fired up.

« Reply #3 on: 29 December, 2015, 12:04:20 pm »
Steve rode 41km at 19.4kph. Probably nothing wrong with the tracker, reason most likely  for it not being visible was rider not riding.

I'd say such a short day is very worrying indeed.

« Reply #4 on: 29 December, 2015, 12:37:44 pm »
Exhaustion.

Complete the year safely and without adding to the exhaustion (suspect this is possibly what he is doing).

Step away from the bike.

Then a plan - to recover health and financial independence.

The recent Guardian article, which communicates so much by leaving things unsaid, is concerning.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5 on: 29 December, 2015, 01:00:32 pm »
Wrong side of Bicester.  Bah :(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6 on: 29 December, 2015, 01:52:18 pm »
Isn't "Bah!" what a Marsh Mouton says?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #7 on: 29 December, 2015, 06:26:31 pm »
These last few days as we approach what would've been the end of the original attempt on the record must be so difficult for Steve; though how anyone can construe 60 odd thousand miles on a bike in a year as a failure is hard to grasp but against his original target and Tommy's record come midnight on Thursday he will have failed. This should've been the metaphorical sprint for the line as he successfully added kms to TG record. In truth this was never going to be from the moment of the encounter with the moped; although the belated encounter with the 'nutritionist' has also, in my view, impacted mileage too.

Hindsight is of course always 20-20 but I feel that Steve's greatest asset - his sheer bloodymindedness and ability to keep going has also been his blind spot. Properly advised I feel he should've foregone all the one-legged nonsense (heroic and a marvel as it was) and less than 100 mile days in favour of stop, proper recovery and re-evaluation from all his learning from the first 3 months of the challenge - re:equipment, getting pacers, improving sleep and recovery and nutrition if needed but in total a real learning of all the marginal gains possible so the new re-boot would be with fresh legs and higher average speed.

Seems to me the boy is knackered and needs a rest - but in my eyes Steve you're a bloody hero whatever the total mileage is on Thursday night.
Old fat and slow

« Reply #8 on: 29 December, 2015, 06:35:28 pm »
These last few days as we approach what would've been the end of the original attempt on the record must be so difficult for Steve; though how anyone can construe 60 odd thousand miles on a bike in a year as a failure is hard to grasp but against his original target and Tommy's record come midnight on Thursday he will have failed. This should've been the metaphorical sprint for the line as he successfully added kms to TG record. In truth this was never going to be from the moment of the encounter with the moped; although the belated encounter with the 'nutritionist' has also, in my view, impacted mileage too.

Hindsight is of course always 20-20 but I feel that Steve's greatest asset - his sheer bloodymindedness and ability to keep going has also been his blind spot. Properly advised I feel he should've foregone all the one-legged nonsense (heroic and a marvel as it was) and less than 100 mile days in favour of stop, proper recovery and re-evaluation from all his learning from the first 3 months of the challenge - re:equipment, getting pacers, improving sleep and recovery and nutrition if needed but in total a real learning of all the marginal gains possible so the new re-boot would be with fresh legs and higher average speed.

Seems to me the boy is knackered and needs a rest - but in my eyes Steve you're a bloody hero whatever the total mileage is on Thursday night.

Well said

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #9 on: 29 December, 2015, 06:42:34 pm »
Yes, Steve is an absolute bloody hero. I doubt very much if any other cyclist going for this record would have continued after a broken ankle, let alone with the gastric trouble as well. Yet despite those massive obstacles he still managed to defeat all previous record holders except Kurt, and the two 1939 Main Men, Bennett and Godwin. I sincerely hopes he takes a break, has a rethink and, if he want another crack after a sufficient rest, then I will once again offer what support I can. In terms of nobility of effort, in my view he stands above the three of them.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #10 on: 29 December, 2015, 06:49:13 pm »
If he'd taken a few months off, he would not now be the 4th greatest 1yr rider in history.

All the rest is speculation. Bird in the hand, etc etc !
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #11 on: 29 December, 2015, 06:49:48 pm »
Yes, Steve is an absolute bloody hero. I doubt very much if any other cyclist going for this record would have continued after a broken ankle, let alone with the gastric trouble as well. Yet despite those massive obstacles he still managed to defeat all previous record holders except Kurt, and the two 1939 Main Men, Bennett and Godwin. I sincerely hopes he takes a break, has a rethink and, if he want another crack after a sufficient rest, then I will once again offer what support I can. In terms of nobility of effort, in my view he stands above the three of them.

+1

« Reply #12 on: 29 December, 2015, 07:01:28 pm »

+1

+2

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 29 December, 2015, 07:24:32 pm »
The problem with Teethgrinder is that when he takes time off from something, he goes for a bike ride.

« Reply #14 on: 29 December, 2015, 07:25:14 pm »

+1

+2

+3

« Reply #15 on: 29 December, 2015, 07:29:27 pm »

+1

+2

+3

+1 = 4
Tandem Riders Do It Together
188 miles NNE of Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #16 on: 29 December, 2015, 08:49:18 pm »
Tracker appears to indicate a visit to Sandstorm Films? Perhaps signing up for a Hollywood blockbuster.

« Reply #17 on: 29 December, 2015, 09:02:32 pm »
He seems to have been tacking into the wind all day, with a fairly low average speed.  Doesn't seem that all is well at all :(

« Reply #18 on: 29 December, 2015, 09:09:13 pm »
He's heading my way.... I suspect he'll either stop in Newbury, or carry on to Theale, turn North up the Tidmarsh Rd and get a nice strong tailwind back up to MK tonight.  I'm sure he appreciates everyone's concern and will be giving this some thought over the next couple of days.  He's achieved a huge amount this year & he certainly hasn't failed in gaining huge admiration for his efforts  :thumbsup:
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #19 on: 29 December, 2015, 09:29:07 pm »
It would not surprise me if Steve is aiming to pull off a long ride tonight, possibly riding straight through the night. Brave but quixotic. I strongly suspect that Steve does not think that he is so far down on the record that he cannot recover the deficit.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #20 on: 29 December, 2015, 09:43:45 pm »

It would not surprise me if Steve is aiming to pull off a long ride tonight, possibly riding straight through the night. Brave but quixotic. I strongly suspect that Steve does not think that he is so far down on the record that he cannot recover the deficit.
I think this is the same bloody-mindedness referred to upthread. It's what we (well me) both admire in Steve, and worry about.
That he can contemplate a long ride straight throughout the night at this stage is evidence of his mindset. But, it's also maybe evidence of a denial of the mathematical improbability* of breaking the record in the second phase.
*I don't doubt that it is possible to ride sufficient miles -as I understand the sums - but recent form suggests to me it's unlikely.

I want, desperately want, Steve to succeed, but like so many others feel that he is now Bennett to Godwin, and needs to regroup, refresh, and reflect. And that won't diminish my utmost respect and admiration one iota.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #21 on: 29 December, 2015, 09:57:37 pm »
Looks like he's stopped for sustenance at the Berkshire Arms in Thatcham.  25 minutes so far.

« Reply #22 on: 29 December, 2015, 10:04:18 pm »
Looks like he's stopped for sustenance at the Berkshire Arms in Thatcham.  25 minutes so far.
....which probably means he's going back to MK with a good tailwind once he's fuelled up.
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #23 on: 29 December, 2015, 10:11:37 pm »
So it has taken him about 11 hours to do about 120-130 miles and it is 22:00. Even if Steve uses the backwind to go past Milton Keynes until he runs out of England, much of that will count towards tomorrow's total and it'll be a short total distance today. Rain is likely tonight around midnight or so.

Sleep deprivation or a late start will limit his distance tomorrow.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #24 on: 29 December, 2015, 10:39:34 pm »
Moving again but it looks like 70-80 km home ???