Author Topic: [HAMR] Another go .. TG??  (Read 175959 times)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: Another go .. TG??
« Reply #475 on: 28 June, 2017, 06:05:12 pm »
Thanks Ivan.  Really appreciate your time.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #476 on: 28 June, 2017, 10:50:29 pm »
I had the pleasure of speaking to Steve on the phone this morning for 10 minutes or so. He seemed in good spirits but is very stressed about his powermeter(s) - they seem to be continually cutting out due to a bad signal and he can't work out why. He's been moving them around his bars and has managed to make the signal better temporarily but with no permanent solution, he also seems to think that they have drifted to be up to 20W out from where they should be.

I was only able to suggest that it might be the battery but he says the batteries are being changed every 10-12 days so it's not that. He is even considering riding with his Garmin in his sock, which seems to kind of defeat the point of having the Garmin in the first place.

He has Stages PMs and the problem is repeated across two of his bikes, which I presume have different PM units on. If anyone has any constructive suggestions then i am sure that he would be all ears... although he is fairly hard to get hold of  ;D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #477 on: 28 June, 2017, 11:00:05 pm »
None of that last post made any sense to me, other than that Steve is having trouble with a particular bit of kit.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #478 on: 29 June, 2017, 12:28:21 am »
Wireless voodoo pixie dust strikes again...

Closest thing I can come to a constructive suggestion is whether there might be another piece of kit putting out enough RF noise to interfere with the connection.  I'm thinking USB battery packs or something else with a switching regulator (presumably not going to be lights at this time of year).

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #479 on: 29 June, 2017, 12:44:08 am »
Steve regularly rides well into the night.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #480 on: 29 June, 2017, 01:47:20 pm »

Sure, but he'll be doing plenty of daytime mileage with the lights off, so if it were a lighting-related problem he'd probably have noticed that the power meter stops working when he turns the lights on.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #481 on: 30 June, 2017, 09:40:54 am »

Sure, but he'll be doing plenty of daytime mileage with the lights off, so if it were a lighting-related problem he'd probably have noticed that the power meter stops working when he turns the lights on.

How does that change riding summer or winter?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #482 on: 30 June, 2017, 11:49:47 am »

Cos there are more daylight hours in summer than winter? And one might run lights constantly in winter to counteract the gloom. In summer one would be more likely to switch one's light on halfway through the that day's ride?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #483 on: 30 June, 2017, 01:40:41 pm »

Cos there are more daylight hours in summer than winter? And one might run lights constantly in winter to counteract the gloom. In summer one would be more likely to switch one's light on halfway through the that day's ride?

That's what I mean, yes.  Anyway, it's just a stab in the, erm, dark.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #484 on: 30 June, 2017, 01:46:48 pm »
Could someone please let Steve know he forgot to reset his computer on Wednesday early hours. His main ride on Wednesday on Strava (Corinium) includes the short ride home after midnight Tuesday. If he's submitted those same files to UMCA he's doubled up on 9.9 km. It would be a shame to see those files excluded.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #485 on: 30 June, 2017, 11:46:16 pm »
regarding his power meter - which version is he using? if v1, then it's possible that one of the three "legs" on the battery cover broke off and the battery is not pressed against the contacts sufficiently and the unit shuts down. in that case i'd stock up on spare covers.

« Reply #486 on: 18 July, 2017, 08:35:49 am »
I've just listened to Steve's latest video, and he seems to be having a tough time at the moment.

If you get the chance, go for a ride with him or cheer him on.

He comes this way often, but it always seems to be when I am picking up Mrs WJ from work, or with the grandsons, or I've just missed him.  >:(
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #487 on: 18 July, 2017, 09:04:41 am »
I've just listened to Steve's latest video, and he seems to be having a tough time at the moment.

If you get the chance, go for a ride with him or cheer him on.

He comes this way often, but it always seems to be when I am picking up Mrs WJ from work, or with the grandsons, or I've just missed him.  >:(
Is he having any involvement with LEL?

(I've given up trying to meet him on the road - last time he came quite close to here several times, but always when I was at work. :\ )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

rob

« Reply #488 on: 18 July, 2017, 09:13:13 am »
Should see him on the 24hr a few times this weekend, hopefully.

« Reply #489 on: 18 July, 2017, 07:25:51 pm »
Well, I just sat down with a cup of coffee this afternoon, looked at Steve's tracker, and saw he was at the end of the road - about 1/4 mile away.  :o

I quickly changed into cycling gear, got the fast bike out, and set off in pursuit.

It took me about 4 miles to catch him on the A10, and we turned off onto a quieter road so we could have a chat.

He's hoping that by going easy for a while, he will recover and be able to develop more power. We U turned at around 95 miles for Steve, and retraced the route. He will aim to take a slightly longer homeward route, but thinks he will end up with a 'short' (210mile) day!

I think it cheered him up lots having someone to ride with.  :thumbsup:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

whosatthewheel

« Reply #490 on: 18 July, 2017, 07:43:51 pm »
I also listened to the youtube thing... he was going on about having left the rubbish for weeks and maggots and possibly having caught something out of poor hygiene...
Does ho not have anybody who looks after things for him? Like laundry, cleaning the house, doing the shopping, possibly cooking... are these attempts that cash strapped?

« Reply #491 on: 18 July, 2017, 08:03:37 pm »
I also listened to the youtube thing... he was going on about having left the rubbish for weeks and maggots and possibly having caught something out of poor hygiene...
Does ho not have anybody who looks after things for him? Like laundry, cleaning the house, doing the shopping, possibly cooking... are these attempts that cash strapped?

I think it's probably more a case of volunteers (or lack of) than money.  For his first attempt there was a team looking after things at base camp - at least some of the time.  As we have gone on to a second and now third attempt perhaps some of that support is unsustainable for the volunteers.  A year of one's life is one thing, but 2 or 3?

The successful challengers have had unlimited family support - something money just couldn't buy.
The sound of one pannier flapping

whosatthewheel

« Reply #492 on: 18 July, 2017, 08:23:44 pm »

The successful challengers have had unlimited family support - something money just couldn't buy.

I see, that makes all the difference... anything on that scale can only be a team effort. As I understand, given the low average sped compared to AC, he spends anything upward of 14 hours a day on the saddle... add 8-9 hours a day in bed, that leaves very little time for anything else.. he needs someone to organise everything for him.

It would be different he was riding around a track at 32 km/h... then he could be done in 10-12 hours a day and have more time

« Reply #493 on: 18 July, 2017, 09:40:00 pm »
Steve's local volunteers have jobs and family, so can't devote an enormous amount of time to him.  His Mum is doing quite a bit, including collating his finances.

This is the toughest of tough challenges.  Remember Kurt calling for a mobile saline drip? Or Alicia going off for heart tests? 

I have just put up a list of donors to the current attempt on the website.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #494 on: 18 July, 2017, 09:51:24 pm »
Does Steve need donations?   Has the. money run out?  Just say.  Happy to help.  In a small way.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #495 on: 18 July, 2017, 10:10:07 pm »
I'll chip in again, (especially after not chipping in again as much as planned first time round  :-[). Alas I haven't the time or transport to help out physically but if a few chipped in we could at least get someone round to tidy up the place and whatnot surely?
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #496 on: 18 July, 2017, 10:24:03 pm »
We don't think he has quite enough to get him through the entire attempt, even though Steve is remarkably parsimonious.  Things that can eat into money happen, such as his phone just recently succumbing to the rain. It's the one he uses mostly to upload the data, so also a time sink.

« Reply #497 on: 18 July, 2017, 10:28:45 pm »
Assuming of course he wants someone in - wouldn't want to sound like I'm making choices for him.

« Reply #498 on: 18 July, 2017, 10:32:58 pm »
Assuming of course he wants someone in - wouldn't want to sound like I'm making choices for him.

It's possibly an option.  But again that would cost a surprising amount.

« Reply #499 on: 18 July, 2017, 10:40:58 pm »
That's true - I imagine even a couple hours a week ain't cheap :(