Author Topic: AUK Finances and Website Project was: AUK Chairman Statement  (Read 119402 times)

Re: AUK FINANCES AND WEBSITE PROJECT was: AUK CHAIRMAN STATEMENT
« Reply #500 on: 19 October, 2018, 10:49:45 pm »
...Stick a DBA and a programmer in a room and they would have a...

...fight.

:D
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #501 on: 19 October, 2018, 10:58:57 pm »
There are some very good points made above by Alex, Chris, Manotea, BB and others. Audax by it’s nature is awash with IT professionals. We can see how the project could be run better. But we voted for the board to make these decisions and this is what they have decided.

'Could be run better' doesn't begin to describe the situation; nobody envisaged the Board would consider spending £500k on a website, and certainly not on 'half a website'.

Given AUK is a member run org, is there not a mechanism to overthrow the board to stop these decisions being made?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #502 on: 19 October, 2018, 11:04:20 pm »
There are some very good points made above by Alex, Chris, Manotea, BB and others. Audax by it’s nature is awash with IT professionals. We can see how the project could be run better. But we voted for the board to make these decisions and this is what they have decided.

'Could be run better' doesn't begin to describe the situation; nobody envisaged the Board would consider spending £500k on a website, and certainly not on 'half a website'.

Given AUK is a member run org, is there not a mechanism to overthrow the board to stop these decisions being made?

J

Provisons exist for a vote of no confidence but thats extreme; what does seem appropriate - as the sums involved are getting ever larger - are to introduce some spending constraints on the board, to ensure such major decision are properly reviewed and approved by the membership.

As it happens Ive already submitted a resolution for the next AGM which includes such measures. You'll need to sign on to the AUK forum to see it though.  Clicky

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #503 on: 19 October, 2018, 11:05:29 pm »
Provisons exist for a vote of no confidence but thats extreme; what does seem appropriate - as teh sums involved are getting ever  larger - are to introduce some spending constraints on teh board, to ensire such major decision are properly reviewed and approved by the membership.

As it happens Ive already submitted a resolution for teh next AGM which includes such measures. You'll need to sign on to the AUK forum to see it though.

That works.

I can't make the AGM, is there a mechanism for proxy voting?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Manotea

« Reply #504 on: 19 October, 2018, 11:06:54 pm »
Provisons exist for a vote of no confidence but thats extreme; what does seem appropriate - as teh sums involved are getting ever  larger - are to introduce some spending constraints on teh board, to ensire such major decision are properly reviewed and approved by the membership.

As it happens Ive already submitted a resolution for the next AGM which includes such measures. You'll need to sign on to the AUK forum to see it though.

That works.

I can't make the AGM, is there a mechanism for proxy voting?

J
  There is.

j_a_m_e_s_

• Prisoner 17091
    • AUK results
« Reply #505 on: 20 October, 2018, 07:41:59 am »

J

Provisons exist for a vote of no confidence but thats extreme; what does seem appropriate - as the sums involved are getting ever larger - are to introduce some spending constraints on the board, to ensure such major decision are properly reviewed and approved by the membership.

As it happens Ive already submitted a resolution for the next AGM which includes such measures. You'll need to sign on to the AUK forum to see it though.  Clicky

Your link take me to a very enthralling conversation between a points chasing behemoth and a mountain of a AAA man.

Try this

I think in principle the resolution is a grand idea, and I'll be backing it, inspite of the threat of people "needing to think carefully....with that type of restriction in place".
If it goes through though, I can't help but think that it will interpreted it as something along the lines of "well we don't need to ask for permission for any of the IT project as the membership has already said yes in the past."

Rule 77

Manotea

« Reply #506 on: 20 October, 2018, 08:55:16 am »
The problem stems from an arrogant "we know best" attitude and that the Board is (now) empowered to do much as they please without reference to the members customers

(ref : Whitedown Mans post upthread about the Board acquiring the right to increase membership fees  without seeking membership approval when the company Articles were revised at the last AGM, whilst advising members 'nothing had changed').

A Board focused on and directly answerable to the membership would have had pause for thought and worked to explain their proposals better rather than simply rush into this.

Mea Culpa: I pushed for changes which would encourage the Board to take a long term view and tackle larger projects like IT renewal. However I also pushed for changes to promote transparency, communication and dialogue between Board and members. The two go together.

What we've seen is a short-term approach and little in the way of communication and transparency (notices of impending doom don't count).

So we need to remind the Board, 'they work for us' and build/restore safeguards into the company Articles.

« Reply #507 on: 20 October, 2018, 11:30:23 am »
You also need to remind yourselves that you're discussing this in front of an audience of potential members and so are not helping promote the organisation. Remember the first rule of fight club. Maybe the first IT priority should be to improve the AUK forums.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #508 on: 20 October, 2018, 11:43:23 am »
Divide and rule.

The best place to have a conversation is the place that the conversation is most likely to happen.
It is simpler than it looks.

j_a_m_e_s_

• Prisoner 17091
    • AUK results
« Reply #509 on: 20 October, 2018, 12:34:56 pm »
You also need to remind yourselves that you're discussing this in front of an audience of potential members and so are not helping promote the organisation. Remember the first rule of fight club. Maybe the first IT priority should be to improve the AUK forums.

A lot of people break the first two rules.....
Rule 77

Phil W

« Reply #510 on: 20 October, 2018, 02:33:32 pm »
We don't talk about fight club...

« Reply #511 on: 20 October, 2018, 02:34:53 pm »
I missed the first few minutes of fight club. It's awesome, I'm going to tell everyone about it.

Anyway, back to Project Boondoggle.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

BeMoreMike

• Tries often, fails frequently.
New audax.uk site
« Reply #512 on: 19 November, 2018, 07:44:37 pm »
I stumbled across it earlier, have just spent the last hour browsing and like what I've seen so far.

I especially like the Perm section and the detailed explanations of how to DIY. It all looks like a good base to keep improving from.

When was the new site launched ? I missed all the fanfair and didn't see any mention on the old aukweb site which i've kept blundering around on.

Re: New audax.uk site
« Reply #513 on: 19 November, 2018, 07:59:56 pm »
All explained and very well presented at the Stirling presentation weekend.  Our thanks to all involved  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #514 on: 19 November, 2018, 08:14:46 pm »
I like it. The url is more logical. The layout is clearer, at least in impact. And I see the code letters for facilities and so on have been replaced by pictograms with explanation. All looks open and inviting (well, it's still audax, so inviting within the realms of geekiness at least!).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hillbilly

« Reply #515 on: 19 November, 2018, 08:18:12 pm »
Hmmm. I just had a look.  I was brought up not to be rude in public.  So, given my view of what's there and how much time and money has gone into this, I'll have to keep quiet.

« Reply #516 on: 19 November, 2018, 08:27:11 pm »
Hmmm. I just had a look.  I was brought up not to be rude in public.  So, given my view of what's there and how much time and money has gone into this, I'll have to keep quiet.

Good or bad, it isn't functioning yet.  It's £90k's worth of respray and they haven't yet touched the engine or the chassis.

j_a_m_e_s_

• Prisoner 17091
    • AUK results
« Reply #517 on: 19 November, 2018, 09:01:50 pm »

But you were taught to tell the truth, no?

The layout is clearer, at least in impact.

Until you realise that instead all the perms being on one page, you have to guess which one of the 36 pages the perm your looking for is on.
Or which of the 21 calendar pages you might like to sample instead of having them all in a nice neat list in one place.
In both instances it is a bit better on a laptop with only 13 and 21 pages to randomly shoot at.

I like the pictograms. I'm happy AUK realise hieroglyphics went out of common usage circa the 4th century, and to be inclusive to the younger generations, we have a handy description for them.

I especially like the Perm section and the detailed explanations of how to DIY. It all looks like a good base to keep improving from.

It's a spruced up version of what we already had. Nothing new.

Good or bad, it isn't functioning yet.  It's £90k's worth of respray and they haven't yet touched the engine or the chassis.

And therein lies the problem.

I wasn't privy to the grand unveiling, and I'm not doubting a hell of a lot of hard work has gone into this, but can somebody please tell me what I've missed?

To say that all of what has happened has been nought more than spraying perfume on a rose seems a bit unfair. But it's some expensive perfume as far as I can see.
Rule 77

« Reply #518 on: 19 November, 2018, 09:09:05 pm »
I can't find a new one, when I search I just get this; http://www.aukweb.net/, can someone post the new URL?

Ian

Edit found it: http://www.audax.uk/

2nd Edit: I'm even on the front page  :o

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #519 on: 19 November, 2018, 09:14:37 pm »
I never look at perms, but having read that and looked, I see 22 pages. I don't know it's 22 for me and 36 for someone else. Screen size?
Calendar events are listed chronologically over several pages on both audax.uk and aukweb.net. You get fewer on a page with the new site partly, it seems, because each entry is listed with a little more information (actual distance, AAA points and whether you can enter by Paypal) in the listings and partly because the font is significantly larger.  Arguably the "view event" button at the end of each line is a waste of space as opposed to just clicking the event. The map view should be more useful than the old "sort by region" simply because the regions were so large as to be meaningless (and some of the placenames rather obscure) but it might have been nice to carry the colour coding for distance over to the map pins too.
Overall though the thing looks much more "open" than the old site.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

j_a_m_e_s_

• Prisoner 17091
    • AUK results
« Reply #520 on: 19 November, 2018, 09:21:16 pm »
I never look at perms, but having read that and looked, I see 22 pages. I don't know it's 22 for me and 36 for someone else. Screen size?
Calendar events are listed chronologically over several pages on both audax.uk and aukweb.net. You get fewer on a page with the new site partly, it seems, because each entry is listed with a little more information (actual distance, AAA points and whether you can enter by Paypal) in the listings and partly because the font is significantly larger.  Arguably the "view event" button at the end of each line is a waste of space as opposed to just clicking the event. The map view should be more useful than the old "sort by region" simply because the regions were so large as to be meaningless (and some of the placenames rather obscure) but it might have been nice to carry the colour coding for distance over to the map pins too.
Overall though the thing looks much more "open" than the old site.

It's the higher figure on my iPad. I agree with your figures on the laptop.
Distance, AAA and PayPal are all visible on the old site.
Place names haven't changed as far as I'm aware. Great Bromley is still near Colchester, Kings Worthy is still near Winchester.
On the old page, you can choose to have up to 2years of events. Much more convenient. I assume this feature would have pushed us over budget though.

Oh wait......

As you can tell, I'm a fan.
Rule 77

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #521 on: 19 November, 2018, 09:21:39 pm »
2nd Edit: I'm even on the front page  :o

And a nice link to Cambridge Audax, too — thank you!
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #522 on: 19 November, 2018, 09:23:43 pm »
Until you realise that instead all the perms being on one page, you have to guess which one of the 36 pages the perm your looking for is on.

And since I'm a "W" then my Cambridge perms are aaaaaallll the f!cking way down at the end!! FFS — this new site is going to absolutely crucify the number of "ooh that looks nice" speculative entries I get, because users have got to work so damn' hard to find them!

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #523 on: 19 November, 2018, 09:25:57 pm »
And I went looking for my own results — it wasn't all that obvious where they'd got to, and the sorting order leaves a LOT to be desired with ECEs separated from events on busy days — did nobody on the team think to ask Francis what the sort order should be and WHY?!! — EDIT — it turns out the sort order's not perfect on the old site either and it was my mistake to suggest it was, sorry  ::-)  The use of "accordions" to hide the results on entry to "my" page is still a UX annoyance, though.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #524 on: 19 November, 2018, 09:27:06 pm »
And what about HTTPS?  Does nobody on "the web team" understand what that is and what it means with respect to Google searches?! 

And what it means with respect to the rather punitive GDPR?!