Author Topic: Converting .tcx to .gpx?  (Read 17688 times)

Converting .tcx to .gpx?
« on: 24 January, 2013, 11:44:26 am »
Recently started doing a few DIYs by GPS. My question is, when I download the track of my completed ride from my garmin 705 to email to the organiser, it comes out as a .tcx. But I am aware the DIY orgs prefer them to be sent as a .gpx.

How do you convert .tcx to .gpx? Or is there a way to change the settings in the garmin so that tracks download to your computer as a .gpx? Or is there not really any important difference between the two formats, as far as validating rides goes?

Cheers

Re: Converting .tcx to .gpx?
« Reply #1 on: 24 January, 2013, 12:11:01 pm »
Garmin Basecamp (free download) will do this for you. Attach the Edge, select the relevant Track, then "Export selection" - it should export a .gpx file which you can use to send in for validation.

Alternatively, "TCX Converter" has always worked well for me. See here

Free download but welcomes a voluntary contribution towards keeping the product fresh.

I believe there are several other things which will do the job; others will be along in a minute to advise, no doubt.

EDIT - P.S. I can't answer your questions about doing it in the Edge with confidence. I have a 705 but I've never explored beyond using the above mentioned methods.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #2 on: 24 January, 2013, 12:28:27 pm »
Another option is GPSBabel (also a free download): http://www.gpsbabel.org/

Or there's online services, eg GPSies: http://www.gpsies.com/convert.do
Or upload to Garmin Connect, then it has an option to export as GPX.

« Reply #3 on: 24 January, 2013, 12:41:34 pm »
I already put my rides on garmin connect but didn't realise you could "export as .gpx". Just done it, couldn't be any more simple.

Didn't know of garmin basecamp, have downloaded that and it looks quite useful generally.

Gracias!

« Reply #4 on: 25 January, 2013, 07:58:57 am »
Try BikeRouteToaster.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #5 on: 25 January, 2013, 10:16:18 am »
Upload the .tcx to either BikeRouteToaster or BikeHike to show the route, and then download it to your PC as a .gpx file.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #6 on: 25 January, 2013, 10:55:01 am »
Upload the .tcx to either BikeRouteToaster or BikeHike to show the route, and then download it to your PC as a .gpx file.

;D

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #7 on: 25 January, 2013, 12:11:32 pm »
It seems BikeRouteToaster and Bikehike will alter the timestamps on the track, which would make it useless for audax verification.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #8 on: 26 January, 2013, 05:51:29 pm »
True, that.

The last time this issue was raised someone recommended GPS Visualizer another online conversion page.  This one does preserve the timestamps and elevations (both are required, really) from the original, provided you do a 'plain vanilla' conversion and don't activate any of the 'advanced' options.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll