Author Topic: Compare Dacota 20 against the eTrex 20 pls?  (Read 1357 times)

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
Compare Dacota 20 against the eTrex 20 pls?
« on: 21 May, 2013, 03:21:29 pm »
Hi,

I cycle with an eTrex20 at the moment. Its great and I wouldn't swap it for anything else for the same money. A collegue has recently started cycling and wanted a GPS as he doesn't drive and got lost on his last cycle round Edinburgh. First off I suggested a £5 map, which a local campaign group 'Spokes' sell, with cycle ways marked, and things like steps and cobbles (this is Edinburgh) on. He says its his birthday soon and his wife will buy him a GPS if he wants, but he's keener on the Dacota 20. He admits its slightly older design, only takes 4Gb uSD but likes the larger screen and touch screen tech.

So I've looked at them both online but the Dacota looks similar to the eTrex30 not the 20, but came out slightly earlier. Does anyone have any experience I could offer him please?

Kind regards,

Dave C
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

fuaran

• rothair gasta
Re: Compare Dacota 20 against the eTrex 20 pls?
« Reply #1 on: 21 May, 2013, 06:30:21 pm »
The Dakota 20 and Etrex 30 are much the same thing, its just a question of whether you want buttons or a touch screen.
There's not much difference in the screen - the Dakota is slightly larger, but maybe lower contrast. Also the Etrex has a bit better battery life.

The Dakota 20 should work with any size of MicroSDHC card, I don't think its limited to 4GB. There's plenty of reports of people using larger cards.
The Dakota does have less internal memory (850MB), vs 1.7GB on the Etrex 20/30. But this doesn't really matter, as you can put all of your maps on the memory card. 850MB should be enough for road maps of all of the UK anyway.

Just avoid the Dakota 10, because it doesn't take a memory card.

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #2 on: 21 May, 2013, 09:10:30 pm »
Cheers! Thsts good to know. But I see the Dacota appears to have an altmeter and dig compass which are features of the eTrex30 no?
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

« Reply #3 on: 22 May, 2013, 07:14:14 am »
Cheers! Thsts good to know. But I see the Dacota appears to have an altmeter and dig compass which are features of the eTrex30 no?

Spelling Dakota 'Dacota' to an American is like spelling Kent 'Kunt' to a Medway lad.