Author Topic: Southend Football  (Read 81652 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Southend Football
« Reply #650 on: 18 November, 2023, 03:31:07 pm »
Good grief! I have a date with a lady (Liz, to whom I normally give a lift to choir) to attend a Southend match! We are going to the 18th November fixture against Chesterfield at Roots Hall. Her suggestion - it's Southend's next Saturday home match. Southend are actually playing at home this coming Tuesday evening, but that clashes with our choir practice and Liz's trip to Egypt.

Liz's husband, Paul, is very much into his football and he does some sort of football-related blog. It seems that yesterday he was doing something at Charlton Athletic.

Illness for both parties has put a stop to this. We will try another fixture later in the season. Liz tells me the match is being covered live by TNT Sport - something you get with a Sky Box, whatever one of those is.

I've remembered what Paul's job is - he works for Give Racism the Red Card.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #651 on: 18 November, 2023, 04:44:25 pm »
Well... excitement here.

6 minutes of normal time remains.

Chesterfield took the lead after 27 minutes.

Southend equalised with a penalty on 63 minutes.

Chesterfield managed what Liz describes as a "hilarious, slow-motion own goal" to put SUFC 2 - 1 up.

I'm really pissed off that we are not there to watch it. Whatsapp messages are a bit of a substitute, but not much of one.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #652 on: 18 November, 2023, 05:00:12 pm »
Well well well - Southend 2 - 1 Chesterfield! I didn't expect that!

Edit: according to the local rag, "more than 8,000" people watched the game. That would ahve been "more than 8,002" if Liz and I had gone. Her husband was also laid up with a cold, so 8,003.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #653 on: 18 November, 2023, 06:27:32 pm »
Quite a nice compliment from a Chesterfield fan on Xitter:

We weren’t at it today, however the top looks the same as it did before the game.

Naylor below average, and when he’s not at it it says everything really.

Fair play Southend. Best side we’ve played this season, they really gave everything for that. We move on.

« Reply #654 on: 02 December, 2023, 03:16:42 pm »
still no sign of the elusive take over being completed.

Ron Martin's lawyers told court deal to be completed by 1 November...well we are now into December and still no sign of the takeover happening

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #655 on: 09 December, 2023, 02:55:59 pm »
An exciting FA Trophy home game for Southend today, against the mighty Hampton & Richmond Borough team. Fans were heading for the ground as I was getting the shopping out of the car.

« Reply #656 on: 15 December, 2023, 10:47:40 am »
Still no takeover.

Court were told deal to be completed by 1 November.......the delay is concerning

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #657 on: 15 December, 2023, 11:37:25 pm »
My understanding it's down to Ron Martin using the club as a lever to try and force every ounce out of Southend Council in order to get planning permission for the houses he wants to build at Fossetts Farm. He really is a piece of shit.

Edit: as per the very first post in this thread, from 2013.

« Reply #658 on: 16 December, 2023, 11:20:33 am »
My understanding it's down to Ron Martin using the club as a lever to try and force every ounce out of Southend Council in order to get planning permission for the houses he wants to build at Fossetts Farm. He really is a piece of shit.

Edit: as per the very first post in this thread, from 2013.

You are probably right about this, but it makes me question is there actually an agreement for a sale of the club or not.

If nearly 7 weeks after the deal was to have been completed, it is still not done, then how much of an agreement is there

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #659 on: 27 December, 2023, 10:32:10 pm »
Apparently the deal was finally struck yesterday and there was quite  apiss-up. My pal Liz's husband was there, getting well in with the new owners.

I don'r know how much the council promised Ron Martin in terms of planning permission for his massive house-building scheme.

« Reply #660 on: 29 December, 2023, 11:30:40 am »
The cynic in me thinks that all this does is save Southend until the next crisis in a few years time.

It seems that apart from the very big clubs eg top part of Premiership, all football clubs are not far from financial disaster and are relying on rich sugar daddies to bail them out.

Is there any other industry that is run so financially poorly

PS pleased for Southend. Now, the fans need to rally round to keep attendances high

« Reply #661 on: 22 February, 2024, 12:48:42 pm »
It's ironic that since the takeover was announced, Southend's fortunes on pitch seems to have declined.

There is a lot to be said for the spirit in adversity

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #662 on: 24 February, 2024, 05:36:59 pm »
Southend 4 - 1 Aldershot

Aldershot were 1 - 0 up when, in the 49th minute, one of their players was sent off. Within 5 minutes, Southend were 2 - 1 up and added two further late goals.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #663 on: 10 March, 2024, 04:20:02 pm »
Now, here’s a bit of history. Despite spending my first years close enough to Stamford Bridge to hear the crowd if the wind was in the right direction, the first football match I ever went to involved Southend United.

Sat 5th Sept 1964, Peterborough United vs Southend United. Guests in the Directors Box.  ;D

05 Sep 1964   Peterborough United v Southend United   W   4-2   League Division Three

I had no idea what was going on and why the large numbers of people in the stands were shouting a lot…
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #664 on: 10 March, 2024, 08:54:20 pm »
Peterborough had a good year.  If you'd stayed near Stamford Bridge, you'd have been able to watch Chelsea put 5 past them in the 6th round of the cup.  I don't think Posh had been in the "real" leagues long, either.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #665 on: 10 March, 2024, 11:17:18 pm »
Posh had a Spot of Bother not long after I saw them, I understand.

The Posh spent seven seasons in the 3rd Division. They reached the quarter-finals of the 1964–65 FA Cup, beating Arsenal and Swansea Town along the way before going out to Chelsea. They were relegated back to the 4th Division for financial irregularities in the summer of 1968.

As I understood it, the board stood down. Including the Director that took myself* and my brother to the match mentioned above. He was't involved, just collective responsibility, from what I understand.

*this is here for annoyance, but probably won't be seen by people that will be annoyed by it on account of where it is.  ;D

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #666 on: 11 March, 2024, 06:03:06 am »
I saw it, Jaded. Myself was annoyed.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #667 on: 11 March, 2024, 07:21:47 am »
Peterborough had a good year.  If you'd stayed near Stamford Bridge, you'd have been able to watch Chelsea put 5 past them in the 6th round of the cup.  I don't think Posh had been in the "real" leagues long, either.
During my brief teaching career i taught the son of one of the Chelsea players in that match whose final club before retirement and pub ownership was Peterborough.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #668 on: 11 March, 2024, 10:49:02 am »
I saw it, Jaded. Myself was annoyed.
Himself annoyed yourself. Probably time for yourself to make a post about German football in the grammar thread itself.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #669 on: 11 March, 2024, 12:06:46 pm »
 ;D

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #670 on: 17 March, 2024, 10:46:40 am »
A thrilling 0-0 draw away to the Monkeyhangers yesterday.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #671 on: 17 March, 2024, 01:02:19 pm »
A thrilling 0-0 draw away to the Monkeyhangers yesterday.

We'll take that.
This season, 
Hartlepool - 4 pts
Southend - 1 pt.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #672 on: Yesterday at 11:02:54 am »
Solihull Moors 0 - 3 SUFC.

IIRC that's 8 - 0 on aggregate against the team in 5th place...

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #673 on: Yesterday at 11:09:08 am »
Solihull Moors 0 - 3 SUFC.

IIRC that's 8 - 0 on aggregate against the team in 5th place...

Good.

Solihull are the team that swallowed up and put an end to my favourite local non league club, Moor Green.

I bet a lot of people misinterpret Solihull's new name.

I'm not going to mention the Gateshead - Hartlepool score.  :(
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.