Author Topic: Southend Football  (Read 83612 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Southend Football
« Reply #625 on: 19 August, 2023, 04:22:08 pm »
2 - 2. 30ish minutes left.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #626 on: 19 August, 2023, 05:11:03 pm »
Hardlypoo win 3 - 2.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #627 on: 19 August, 2023, 06:59:48 pm »
Well done Hardlypoo Untied.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #628 on: 24 August, 2023, 02:33:14 pm »
Another court case, Southend deducted 10 points. Still in the merde. Will be wound up in 42 days by the looks of it. October 4th.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #629 on: 25 August, 2023, 09:59:13 pm »
"The condemned man enjoyed a hearty meal..."

Southend 2 - 0 Eastleigh.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #630 on: 02 September, 2023, 06:19:10 pm »
Home win for Saarfend today, v Kidderminster. Despite having won more than half their games, Southend are bottom. 5402 attended.

Two trips to Yorkshire in the next couple of weeks.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #631 on: 09 September, 2023, 05:52:44 pm »
1 - 1 away to Halifax today.

I have heard rumours, and I have no idea of the veracity, that Southend Council are attempting to sort out an escape plan for the football team. A sum of £5m has been mentioned.

It seems a great shame that the council always allowed themselves to be manipulated by that conniving little crook, but from may years of experience of battling against the council, it seems to me that they are always desperate to latch themselves onto some sort of vanity project, and during the past 25 years or so there have been three major ones: the "dualling" of Priory Crescent; a new football stadium; and the sodding airport. The first one, which occupied many hours of my time during the first 10 years of this century, and culminated in me appearing at the Royal Courts of Justice, seems not to have been laid to rest. The other two have consumed a great deal of council time and money, and they have been complete and utter failures.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #632 on: 16 September, 2023, 07:06:01 pm »
Still there. Still losing.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #633 on: 22 September, 2023, 09:44:09 pm »
In the very first post in this thread, almost 10 years ago, I mentioned Ron "dodgy geezer" Martin and his plan to build an out-of-town stadium on some pristine farm/wild land.

It seems that, given the dire situation of Southend United, he is now planning to build a load of houses there and forget about the stadium - the houses/leisure complex were added on as justification for the stadium.

I've lifted a quote from our Green councillor:

A shocking development at Fossets - The planning approval and the whole proposal was for a football stadium, any ancillary development, like apartments and retail, were purely to bolster the financial business case of building the stadium.

I read with some concern today that the continued distressing saga that is Southend United FC’s position under current owner Ron Martin has taken an even more unpleasant turn.

Negotiations between the consortium led by Justin Rees and the current owner are continuing, albeit painfully slowly. It has been revealed today that Ron Martin now wants to develop the Fossetts Farm scheme *without* the new football stadium.

It seems that Justin Rees is leading the bid to buy SUFC from Ron "dodgy geezer" Martin.

More details: https://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/23801596.potential-buyer-provides-update-bid-buy-southend-united/

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #634 on: 23 September, 2023, 07:28:13 pm »
Well, they lost 2 - 1 at home to Fylde. Two more away games, and one at home, until Doomsday on 4th October.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #635 on: 26 September, 2023, 01:02:06 pm »
Whilst I was in the queueue for covid and flu jabs this morning, I overheard a conversation between a couple of chaps, also old enough to be jabbed, who were clearly acquaintances rather than close friends, but who had one thing in common: they supported football and particularly Southend United. The older chap seemed very well-informed, although he persistently referred to the crook at the helm of SUFC as "Ron".

One thing he said that was of interest: quite apart from the club's debt to HMRC, apparently they also owe EON £600,000 in unpaid electricity bills. The same chap said that for their last match, the league's restrictions on the club meant that they only had 12 players available. There was talk of them having another 10 points deducted for some reason which I didn't pick up on.

Southend are playing tonight, away to Aldershot, on Saturday, away to Rochdale, and next Tuesday, at home to Oxford City - provided they've got a shilling to put into the meter to keep the floodlights on. Then, on Wednesday, they get wound up.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #636 on: 26 September, 2023, 11:46:33 pm »
Gary Lineker on Southend.
https://traffic.megaphone.fm/GLT7455771012.mp3?updated=1695597835
From 26.40

ETA. Oh, seems to be from about 25.00 on that link.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #637 on: 03 October, 2023, 06:01:24 pm »
Within the past hour, Sky News has broadcast that a takeover deal for SUFC has been agreed. Details are scant, but I think it is safe to assume that Southend will now not be wound up tomorrow and that the HMRC debt will be paid off as part of the deal. Southend have a home match tonight.

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/local_news/southend/23831452.southend-united-sale-confirmed-agreement-place/ confirms this.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #638 on: 03 October, 2023, 06:58:08 pm »
Oh good oh. I had been concerned that Hardlypoo Untied would loose the three points they gained.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #639 on: 03 October, 2023, 07:14:50 pm »
Oh good oh. I had been concerned that Hardlypoo Untied would loose the three points they gained.
;D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #640 on: 03 October, 2023, 10:19:30 pm »
Southend won 2 - 0 this evening. It looked like quite a big crowd - I saw them heading for the ground as I was going to my choir practice, and heading out again on the way home. SUFC are almost, but not quite, out of the bottom 4, and because they have had 10 points deducted after a reasonable start to the season their goal difference is only bettered by the top 4 teams in the division.

Edit: 6,075 people watched SUFC this evening, the biggest home crowd of the season.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #641 on: 07 October, 2023, 05:49:25 pm »
Another win or Southend. Outside the bottom 4 now.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #642 on: 07 October, 2023, 11:20:08 pm »

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #643 on: 21 October, 2023, 10:37:12 pm »
Having had 10 points deducted, and the club having survived after an 11th hour reprieve earlier this month, Southend thumped Solihull Moors 5 - 0 today. I don't know whether the rules have allowed them to introduce more players into their squad, but it looked like another very good crowd, judging by the number of fans walking past our house during the hour before kick-off.

Ah - my question seems to have ben answered: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67109267

Daniel Kanu, on loan from Charlton, scored 4 goals on home debut. That's pretty impressive. 6,356 in attendance.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #644 on: 22 October, 2023, 12:19:40 pm »
Good grief! I have a date with a lady (Liz, to whom I normally give a lift to choir) to attend a Southend match! We are going to the 18th November fixture against Chesterfield at Roots Hall. Her suggestion - it's Southend's next Saturday home match. Southend are actually playing at home this coming Tuesday evening, but that clashes with our choir practice and Liz's trip to Egypt.

Liz's husband, Paul, is very much into his football and he does some sort of football-related blog. It seems that yesterday he was doing something at Charlton Athletic.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #645 on: 24 October, 2023, 11:26:53 pm »
Another 3 - 0 win for Southend today.  6,339 in the crowd.

A quick look at the table makes 18th November a toothsome prospect! Southend have won their last 4 and Chesterfield are top.

« Reply #646 on: 25 October, 2023, 12:36:50 am »
Yes, "your" league position is distorted by the points deduction.  Southend have a terrific goal difference.  Enjoy your "date"!

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #647 on: 25 October, 2023, 06:25:26 am »
Having had 10 points deducted, and the club having survived after an 11th hour reprieve earlier this month, Southend thumped Solihull Moors 5 - 0 today. I don't know whether the rules have allowed them to introduce more players into their squad, but it looked like another very good crowd, judging by the number of fans walking past our house during the hour before kick-off.
Interestingly I drove down your road before kickoff on Saturday and knocked on the door to say hi but no-one was in.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #648 on: 25 October, 2023, 07:19:48 pm »
Interestingly I drove down your road before kickoff on Saturday and knocked on the door to say hi but no-one was in.

Oh bugger! We were in - I heard you knock but was in the Smallest Room at the time. Jan had her headphones on.

« Reply #649 on: 12 November, 2023, 09:43:14 am »
When is the sale of club going to be completed?

Was said to be by 1 November,  then said slight delay & since then I've not heard any more re the sale. Have I missed it?