Author Topic: Meralgia Paraesthetica (skinny pants syndrome!)  (Read 934 times)

Meralgia Paraesthetica (skinny pants syndrome!)
« on: 06 March, 2014, 10:36:43 am »
Well I have this - though not, I hasten to add, for the colloquial reason in the title, I'm sure my lycra isn't to blame. Nor from a too tight belt. I had it before  a few tears ago, and it just went of it's own accord. But now it's back. And annoyingly it's something that can, apparently be made worse by cycling, or sitting for long periods. So at work or play I'm making it worse  :-\

Luckily for me it's just a small patch of general numbness and pins-and-needles, and not usually painful.

I'm pretty sure the nerve irritation has been caused by cycling as it's onset has coincided with me increasing my modest mileage from 30-40 miles a weekend to 80-90. I wonder if my position on the bike could be to blame - it's pretty sat up - bars level with saddle, not too stretched out, but saddle possible a bit high (a basic bike fit recently suggested a pedal axle to saddle top of 88-90cm whereas I habitually ride with that dimension at 92cm.) Or maybe it's just a penalty of age  :(.

Diagnosis is easy (you've got it) but pinpointing cause is almost impossible it seems. Ah well, keep taking the ibuprofen.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Meralgia Paraesthetica (skinny pants syndrome!)
« Reply #1 on: 06 March, 2014, 01:10:11 pm »
I always thought this was a girly problem! (I've always been too fat and seldom wore tight jeans.)
The lateral cutaneous nerve of the thigh runs close to the anterior superior iliac spine (the hip knobble at the top of the pelvis) where it can get trapped by tight jeans.

There's a fair length of nerve to bother before the hip stud and trouble behind this can also give symptoms.

Hope yours settles soon!