Author Topic: iCloud not sharing with Numbers  (Read 1422 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
iCloud not sharing with Numbers
« on: 19 October, 2023, 12:00:37 pm »
I keep a Numbers spreadsheet of domestic finance and for quite some years have been sharing it on iCloud so that Jan can also see what is going on and edit it if necessary (she rarely does). But since 2nd October I've been unable to share this file to iCloud after I edit in numbers and the message contains references about needing a newer Mac. The Mac, dating from late 2014, has been happily updating this and other spreadsheets, and sharing them.

Have Apple Done Something Evil which now excludes my 9-year-old Mac Mini from doing what it has always done? Is anyone else getting a similar problem?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Re: iCloud not sharing with Numbers
« Reply #1 on: 19 October, 2023, 12:02:41 pm »
Maybe convert it to Deuteronomy? or, just Exodus

I like to help.

« Reply #2 on: 19 October, 2023, 01:18:35 pm »
I do something very similar - personal finance Numbers file syncs with 2012 MacBook Air (Catalina 10.15.7) syncs fine with iCloud and my 2015 iMac and 2023 iPhone. More likely you have a loose connection into iCloud - lord knows, it's stuttered often enough over the years/decades the faithful have put up with it.

« Reply #3 on: 19 October, 2023, 01:32:35 pm »
I wonder if whatever Jan is using to view/edit the file is a newer version of numbers than the one on your mac mini? I suppose if she opened and saved it (there may have been a warning?) then it might have been 'upgraded' to the latest version.

A workaround might be to sign in to icloud.com in the browser on your mac mini - I think you should be able to view/edit the file there.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4 on: 19 October, 2023, 01:39:51 pm »
iCloud's been pissing about and/or updating itself a lot recently.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #5 on: 19 October, 2023, 04:25:52 pm »
The thing that matters is what version of Numbers you’re using, although I can’t immediately see a minimum supported version on iCloud.

But anything that depends on cloud services is liable to stop working even if the computer is fine. Buy more stuff.

« Reply #6 on: 20 October, 2023, 01:29:43 pm »
I subscribe to TidBITS.com and coincidentally this week it features veteran Mac guru Glenn Fleishman's five months of efforts to 'unstick' his iCloud syncing issues. Plenty of others with similar issues chiming in.
https://tidbits.com/2023/10/12/cloudy-with-a-chance-of-insanity-unsticking-icloud-drive/

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #7 on: 20 October, 2023, 04:09:56 pm »
I was using something else utterly baffling (trying to export .jpg files from Google Photos whilst preserving their EXIF data) and something told me I wasn't logged into Google. I don't recall ever knowingly logging into or out of Google, but I logged in and then had a thought. "Could it be this lack of logged-in-ness that is causing the Numbers issue?"

And it appears that it is.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #8 on: 20 October, 2023, 09:07:04 pm »
Maybe convert it to Deuteronomy? or, just Exodus
I've got a Genesis, will that do?

Actually it's a Genesis Day One, which iirc is something about dividing the waters above from the waters below. Good for riding through floods, anyway.

Um. I'll get my firmament.
Not especially helpful or mature