Author Topic: The Cheap but Not Horrible Wine Recomendation Thread.  (Read 13038 times)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: The Cheap but Not Horrible Wine Recomendation Thread.
« Reply #25 on: 12 January, 2013, 04:26:48 pm »
The £3.99 Joven Rioja from Leedl is quite superb. If somebody told me it cost a tenner I'd believe them.

Agreed, the bottles I purchased before Christmas didn't last very long at all once opened.  Very drinkable, I would say slightly less body than a Campo Viejo Reserva, but then CV is nearly twice the price!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #26 on: 12 January, 2013, 06:09:55 pm »
Saw a red wine in Tesco today and the recommendation was ... 'Goes well with Pizza', classy .....

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #27 on: 12 January, 2013, 10:34:06 pm »
I only buy wine that's discounted now (austerity), but really discounted, not stuff that Tesco sells normally for £4.99 but ups it to £9.99 for a couple of weeks so they can then say it's reduced. It's £5 wine, not a bargain £10 wine. The classic example is Ogio Primitivo.

Anyway, here's a decent one for £5, a real mouthful of cherry fruit with just a hint of agreeable bitterness: La Piazza Nero d'Avola Sangiovese

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #28 on: 14 January, 2013, 07:10:46 pm »
I have found that cheap wine usually benefits from the addition of vodka - gives it a bit more body, and gets to the point a bit quicker.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #29 on: 23 January, 2014, 10:46:13 pm »
OK, here's a secret I've been keeping to myself for a couple of months.  If you've got a Co-op by you, the Washington Hills 2011 Merlot is most acceptable.  At the current price of £5, it's extremely acceptable. 

Leave some for me.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #30 on: 23 January, 2014, 11:38:29 pm »
I find it's hard to go wrong with a bottle from Casillero del Diablo. I do believe I've not come across a single undrinkable bottle from them. Hard to beat in the £6 region I reckon.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #31 on: 24 January, 2014, 07:45:49 pm »
OK, here's a secret I've been keeping to myself for a couple of months.  If you've got a Co-op by you, the Washington Hills 2011 Merlot is most acceptable.  At the current price of £5, it's extremely acceptable. 

Leave some for me.
Good show! Not sure I've tried that one, but I've pillaged our Co-op's £4.xy reds section with some satisfaction recently, almost all have been good value. Own brand Cotes-Du-Rhone was a pleasant surprise, but I mainly go for the manly stuff like Merlots.

Waitrose amazed me this week with a £4.50 red - el guia tinto. Never had one before, in fact I generally avoid spanish wine.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #32 on: 24 January, 2014, 08:10:29 pm »
Even though it's Dry January, I think I'll buy a couple of bottles of the CoOp Merlot; it's one of my favourites as well.
If you're prepared to pay £1.50 more, the Chateau Capitoul (also CoOp) is another that I'm fond of.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #33 on: 25 January, 2014, 06:58:53 pm »
If you're prepared to pay £1.50 more ...
That, sir, is a slippery slope, that finances compel me to avoid for the near future. Please desist!
(and note the topic title ... :P )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #34 on: 26 January, 2014, 10:30:30 pm »
If you're prepared to pay £1.50 more ...
That, sir, is a slippery slope, that finances compel me to avoid for the near future. Please desist!
(and note the topic title ... :P )

Objection noted matt.
However:-

I suggest that price must be well below £10 - preferably nearer the £5 - £6 bottom shelf mark.  I bet there are some reasonable bottles out there.

It's only £0.59 more than Basil's suggested price level  :)

Another wine that I like is McGuigan Cabernet Savignon.
It's sometimes on special offer at about £5.50 in Tesco.
Only buy it on offer, it's not worth the recommended price, not by a long way.

« Reply #35 on: 01 February, 2014, 03:42:19 pm »
Bad news Basil; the CoOp have dropped the Washington Hills Merlot.
We were told that they couldn't get enough of it so they're running down their stocks and they won't be replacing them.

Good news though, they are now selling the McGuigans Cab. Sav. I mentioned above.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #36 on: 01 February, 2014, 04:33:33 pm »
Oh bugger.  That's what they did with my previous favourite.  (believe it or not, a Romanian cab sauv)

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #37 on: 27 February, 2014, 07:39:17 pm »
This week's find.  A rather nice Malbec in Lidl for about a fiver.
I don't remember the exact price.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #38 on: 01 March, 2014, 12:10:47 pm »
Waitrose does their own 'value' line of wines.  Very nice and priced at a fiver...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #39 on: 01 March, 2014, 06:22:10 pm »
Does the £3.99 lidl rioja still exist? It was very good but recently my local lidl only seems to stock the £5.99 rioja. This is also excellent value but sometimes I crave the bargain price one that is very nearly as good.

« Reply #40 on: 01 March, 2014, 06:33:29 pm »
A lot of people now buy the Toro Loco at Aldi.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #41 on: 01 March, 2014, 07:05:42 pm »
Hmm.  Re the Lidl Malbec I mentioned above.  I've just had a glass of one that I bought in Brum today.  (it was £5.99, btw)   It's ok, but not up to the standard of "Great Find" that I classed the one that I bought in Carmarthen earlier this week.  Oh well, maybe it's a different Malbec.  This Brum one is Argentinian - I don't know what the Carmarthen one was. 
There's nothing wrong with it, it's as good as you'd expect for the price.  Which is not what this thread is about.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #42 on: 01 March, 2014, 07:43:00 pm »
The "Carmarthen Malbec" - 21st century wine is a whole New World!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #43 on: 01 March, 2014, 07:49:22 pm »
 ;D

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #44 on: 05 March, 2014, 02:20:26 pm »
My favourite sub £10 wine is Sangre De Toro. It can be £6 or £8 (Morrisons). If you see it for £6, buy it all.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #45 on: 05 March, 2014, 05:40:21 pm »
Co-op Fairtrade Cinsault-Shiraz - £4.99

Not as good as their other cheapies (e.g. Chilean Merlot - sold out last night - or own brand Cotes-du-Rhone). :(
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #46 on: 18 March, 2014, 05:07:58 pm »
I usually take a browse down the wine aisle in Tescos to see if the Telegraph Station Pinot Noir is on offer.  It is usually £10.99 a bottle but every so often they knock it down to £5.49 and I buy several bottles for stock.

« Reply #47 on: 05 April, 2014, 11:13:27 pm »
My local Co-op is selling d"Arenburg Broken Fishplate Sauvignon Blanc for £7:00 per bottle (discontinued).  It's usually £10+ and I've enjoyed it at that price.
Quite tempted to go back & clean the rack out.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #48 on: 19 April, 2014, 09:11:38 pm »
A lot of people now buy the Toro Loco at Aldi.

A big double plus for this. My first experience of this a few years ago was a bit ropey, but I had a bottle this week which was - for the money - brilliant. This wine is great for anything less than a special occasion, and even then it's a good enough third bottle.

Price?

£3.79
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #49 on: 19 April, 2014, 09:18:51 pm »
Luis Felipe Gran Reserva Merlot (Majestic)