Author Topic: Grimpeurs du Sud  (Read 254096 times)

Martin

Grimpeurs du Sud
« on: 14 April, 2008, 09:07:43 am »
There's still time to get the 5 rides required for the Brevet even if you've not done any yet; the next ride is the IOW 100km (just keep your certificate to claim)
and after that The Sceptre

Martin

(temporary GdS info further down this thread)

Re: Grimpeurs du Sud
« Reply #1 on: 14 April, 2008, 07:28:21 pm »
Even if you miss those two you could still qualify by riding 5 out of the 6 August/September/October rides.

frere yacker

« Reply #2 on: 15 April, 2008, 06:30:22 pm »
The list in Martin's list suggests there are less than 6 qualifying events towards the end of the season?  Which ones are missing (these can be added at the wiki that martin uses rather than posted here, hint hint)

frere yacker

« Reply #3 on: 15 April, 2008, 08:12:59 pm »
The list in Martin's list suggests there are less than 6 qualifying events towards the end of the season? 

I count 6 August - October

Doh, so do I.  For some reason I blanked out August.

« Reply #4 on: 11 September, 2008, 07:26:58 am »
(if it hasn't been spam-bombed again  :-\)

It has.

« Reply #5 on: 11 September, 2008, 10:17:43 am »
I've fixed it. (To do this, click on the history tab above the page and find the most recent version not full of spam links and click on the date link for that entry. Then edit that page, then click the "Save Page" button.)

Might be worth changing it so that only registered users can edit it as those spam bots will just keep on editing it and adding dodgy links.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

frere yacker

« Reply #6 on: 12 September, 2008, 12:32:35 pm »
Has anyone heard whether Tim Wainwright is running the Battle and Back rides in 2009?  Nice grimpeur event that is left a hole in the range of events in the SE.

« Reply #7 on: 12 September, 2008, 07:35:55 pm »
Has anyone heard whether Tim Wainwright is running the Battle and Back rides in 2009?  Nice grimpeur event that is left a hole in the range of events in the SE.

It would be a pity if it didn't return.   

frere yacker

« Reply #8 on: 16 September, 2008, 08:44:11 am »
Hoping to get my hands on that medal in 2009...

frere yacker

« Reply #9 on: 16 November, 2008, 06:09:02 pm »
The Battle and Back is likely to run.  Confirmation to follow after the AGM...

« Reply #10 on: 17 November, 2008, 07:28:25 pm »

Hip Hip Hooray, Hip Hip Hooray.

Martin

« Reply #11 on: 17 November, 2008, 08:16:58 pm »

Thinks; the 200 would be a good July RRTY but do I really want to do the Grimpeur? especially a week before the Ide Hill one?  :'(

frere yacker

« Reply #12 on: 17 November, 2008, 08:22:52 pm »

Thinks; the 200 would be a good July RRTY but do I really want to do the Grimpeur? especially a week before the Ide Hill one?  :'(

You know you want to  ;)

frere yacker

« Reply #13 on: 24 November, 2008, 02:14:25 pm »
Just a quick confirmation that Battle and Back 200 (Grimpeur) will run in early July 2009.  Date to be confirmed but weekend on 11/12 is pencilled in.

Further details will follow, my pretties.

frere yacker

« Reply #14 on: 24 November, 2008, 04:30:51 pm »
BR are rides of 200km or more (with usual bits about speeds etc)

170km<200km so has to be a BP.  Or am I misunderstanding the ???

frere yacker

« Reply #15 on: 07 December, 2008, 09:08:37 am »
Alas, having received details of Battle and Back from the previous organiser, it is clear that it will be a significant amount of work to make the grimpeur route compliant with the stricter AUK distance requirements.  As a result this event will not run in 2009.

I am, however, planning another 200km ride (with a 100km and 50km ride running parallel, and possibly an off road route as well).  The road rides may or may not qualify for AAA points, but they won't be flat...

frere yacker

« Reply #16 on: 07 December, 2008, 05:35:57 pm »
is the 150k B and B running? (that was worth a smidgen of an AAA IIRC without any obvious shortcuts possible)

Not on my watch.  In anycase, probably a bit too close to Pat's event in both distance and date to put on in isolation.

« Reply #17 on: 07 December, 2008, 06:10:02 pm »
Alas, having received details of Battle and Back from the previous organiser, it is clear that it will be a significant amount of work to make the grimpeur route compliant with the stricter AUK distance requirements.  As a result this event will not run in 2009.

That's a real shame.

I rode 5 B&B 200 Grimpeurs between 2003 & 2007 (it was my first 200 grimpeur) and it was always an event I'd look forward to. Being cooked in the hot July sun, spotting Mad Jacks obelisk high up ahead at Brightling and those final climbs of Bayleys and Star Hill.  A classic ride.       

« Reply #18 on: 07 December, 2008, 09:37:18 pm »
is the 150k B and B running? (that was worth a smidgen of an AAA IIRC without any obvious shortcuts possible)

Not on my watch.  In anycase, probably a bit too close to Pat's event in both distance and date to put on in isolation.

sorry; crossed porpoises; I thought it was just the 200 Grimpeur that was scrubbed and the 150/200 Sporting would still run;

So did the 200 Grimpeur go up Bayleys Hill instead of Ide Hill? (only ever ridden the old 160; 200 Sporting and 150)

Yes, but it climbed Ide Hill on the way south.   

frere yacker

« Reply #19 on: 07 December, 2008, 09:50:28 pm »

sorry; crossed porpoises; I thought it was just the 200 Grimpeur that was scrubbed and the 150/200 Sporting would still run;

So did the 200 Grimpeur go up Bayleys Hill instead of Ide Hill? (only ever ridden the old 160; 200 Sporting and 150)

Yes, but it climbed Ide Hill on the way south.   

My alternative 200 is likely to take riders over that way.  Current thinking is out from Merstham, up onto the ridge, along to Biggins Hill, down to Ashdown Forest, back north via Turners Hill, over to Cranleigh, through the Surrey Hills up to Ranmore Common, over Box Hill and then back to Merstham.  A very nice route...

« Reply #20 on: 19 August, 2009, 10:09:47 am »
Nearest AAA perms to London? There's a perm version of the Cotswold Corker which must be the nearest. Apart from than that it's South Wales, the Peak District or West Country, with the Blackdown Grimpeur from Ilminster probably the nearest. 

« Reply #21 on: 28 October, 2009, 07:34:43 pm »
No doubt Tour of the Hills will be back again next year.

I may run a modified (and moderated) version of The Sceptre in July if all goes well.

Pity about the Faccombe rides as they were always popular and good scenic traffic free routes.

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #22 on: 28 October, 2009, 08:19:09 pm »
I am planning a 200km ride in September that might have AAA points.  Memory map is suggesting climbing of just over 3200m, which would give it 3.25AAA.

Although I suspect the actual climbing will be less - won't know until I do the contour count and get it signed off by the AAA Man.

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #23 on: 28 October, 2009, 10:09:02 pm »
 Next year the Invicta Grimpeur needs a new organiser, I have told the DA I am only organising the 400 and 600 next year so hopefully someone will step forward at the General meeting next month.
"Don't stop pedalling"

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #24 on: 03 December, 2009, 11:07:51 pm »
My 200km calendar event on 19 September will have AAA points.  Based on the route submitted, the AAA man has said it will be worth 3.25 AAA points.  Route is Redhill - Burwash Common - Battle - Wittersham - Goudhurst - Yalding - Eynsford - Redhill.  Manotea can attest that it is "challenging".

Martin - presumably it isn't too late to add this ride to the G.du.S?