Author Topic: I wuz bored...  (Read 3137 times)

iddu

• Are we there yet?
I wuz bored...
« on: 29 July, 2018, 11:43:37 pm »

...and it'll never get approved, but feel free (let me know if you want the .gpx) ;D
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

Re: I wuz bored...
« Reply #1 on: 30 July, 2018, 08:00:01 am »
What are you asking us?

Does anyone want to ride a 600 which consists of 6 loops based on Oakham?  (No! too easy to abandon) 

Can I ride an Audax route which uses the same bits of road repeatedly?  (No, just no)

Is there any interest in running a series of short rides from Oakham?  (Possibly, but I suspect you need a greater variation in the routes.  We're just about to start the Marple series, a long-standing series of well attended events in the Peak District every Wednesday in August).

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #2 on: 30 July, 2018, 08:28:20 am »
Asking?  Nothing...

It’s a piece of silliness - can you fit a ‘600’ entirely within the border of Rutland? Yes...3 loops, ridden both directions.

Next week - a 1200 within the City of London limits ;D

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3 on: 30 July, 2018, 10:39:53 am »
You could make that an international series: City of London, Vatican City, Monaco... City state international SR?  :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #4 on: 30 July, 2018, 11:30:39 am »
The problem, as you say, is validation. For a 600 you can't rely on GPX (at least that is my understanding... anything above 200 needs a brevet card and proof of passage) and therefore you need a disproportionate number of controls to maintain the integrity of the route

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 30 July, 2018, 11:34:31 am »
Asking?  Nothing...

It’s a piece of silliness - can you fit a ‘600’ entirely within the border of Rutland? Yes...3 loops, ridden both directions.

Next week - a 1200 within the City of London limits ;D

Multum in Parvo, doesn't its motto go?

« Reply #6 on: 30 July, 2018, 01:09:14 pm »
The problem, as you say, is validation. For a 600 you can't rely on GPX (at least that is my understanding... anything above 200 needs a brevet card and proof of passage) and therefore you need a disproportionate number of controls to maintain the integrity of the route

An info fest - in fact it could turn into an education about the history and folklore of Rutland.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #7 on: 30 July, 2018, 03:49:07 pm »
Does give some possibilities.  Looks like a circuit of Hampshire, for example, would be pretty close on 300km although there might need to be some creativity around the sticky in bits like Farnham that is resolutely Surrey.  No doubt Yorkshire could quite happily accommodate a 600km.  And there is always the Tour de Kernow....
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #8 on: 30 July, 2018, 06:07:08 pm »
Round Hampshire is  a place to place  TT organised by Hampshire Road Club, Postie would know more having ridden it

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #9 on: 30 July, 2018, 06:10:45 pm »
I don't think that's right. I definitely have a DIY by GPX 300 that was validated.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

whosatthewheel

« Reply #10 on: 30 July, 2018, 06:21:41 pm »
I don't think that's right. I definitely have a DIY by GPX 300 that was validated.

It is the case for permanents and therefore I assumed DIY would follow the same rule... if not, then easier to run a perm as DIY GPS than having to bother with cards and receipts

« Reply #11 on: 30 July, 2018, 06:34:45 pm »
  No doubt Yorkshire could quite happily accommodate a 600km.
Extreme Points of Yorkshire. For those that know.

Ben T

« Reply #12 on: 30 July, 2018, 07:41:11 pm »
Now try to create an audax that goes through the most number of counties possible (whilst remaining <5% overdistance).  ;D Competition?

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
« Reply #13 on: 30 July, 2018, 07:53:42 pm »
Does give some possibilities.  Looks like a circuit of Hampshire, for example, would be pretty close on 300km although there might need to be some creativity around the sticky in bits like Farnham that is resolutely Surrey.  No doubt Yorkshire could quite happily accommodate a 600km.  And there is always the Tour de Kernow....

You can get a 600k entirely within Fermanagh without  visiting any point twice, but its a little bit intricate.
Jennifer - Walker of hills

« Reply #14 on: 30 July, 2018, 07:58:47 pm »
My friend once did 100 miles in London zones 1-2 with no repeats. He was working on a zone 1 only version but I don't think he ever finished it.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #15 on: 30 July, 2018, 08:09:18 pm »
Now try to create an audax that goes through the most number of counties possible (whilst remaining <5% overdistance).  ;D Competition?

Oakham would make a good start point for that too - you could probably bag five or six counties from there inside 200km without too much trouble.

ETA: here you go - https://goo.gl/maps/bbXKpPS9wxn
I make it seven counties - Rutland, Lincolnshire, Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire, Leicestershire, Northamptonshire, Cambridgeshire
No idea what it would be like to ride though!

ETA2: second attempt - because I realised that Kegworth isn't in Derbyshire... https://goo.gl/maps/14Sa6mQxc882
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Ben T

« Reply #16 on: 30 July, 2018, 08:36:11 pm »
My friend once did 100 miles in London zones 1-2 with no repeats. He was working on a zone 1 only version but I don't think he ever finished it.
Designed it, or actually did it?! ;D

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #17 on: 31 July, 2018, 12:08:15 am »

Oakham would make a good start point for that too - you could probably bag five or six counties from there inside 200km without too much trouble.

ETA: here you go - https://goo.gl/maps/bbXKpPS9wxn
I make it seven counties - Rutland, Lincolnshire, Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire, Leicestershire, Northamptonshire, Cambridgeshire
No idea what it would be like to ride though!

ETA2: second attempt - because I realised that Kegworth isn't in Derbyshire... https://goo.gl/maps/14Sa6mQxc882

Constrained to 200Km event?

Something akin to https://goo.gl/maps/8oDK9SSddss

10 AFAICS - Leicestershire, Lincolnshire, Rutland, Northamptonshire, Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire, Middlesex, Essex...

I could probably better it for a pure Scotland event...

« Reply #18 on: 31 July, 2018, 12:26:31 am »
Designed it, or actually did it?! ;D

Actually did it, over a year after making it:
https://www.strava.com/activities/581398804