Author Topic: Liggett and Sherwinisms TdF 2011  (Read 22755 times)

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
Re: Liggett and Sherwinisms TdF 2011
« Reply #25 on: 04 July, 2011, 12:34:58 pm »

I like the American woman they sometimes have on Eurosport too. Can't remember her name.

d.

That would be Kristy Anderson, Phil's ex.  Sean Kelly also calls them Leo-Pard Trek apparently that is the correct pronunciation.  I love Big Lig & Sherwy calling liquigas "Leaky Gas"  ;D
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #26 on: 04 July, 2011, 03:05:32 pm »
Me and Mrs V play Sean Kelly bingo

First typical Kelly phrase that is correctly predicted wins.  Try it!  Here's some phrases to get started

"Cup of Tea"
"On the Rivet"
"Difficult one"
"Oh La La"
"Cadence"
"In cycling terms.."

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #27 on: 04 July, 2011, 03:28:48 pm »
I didn't catch it properly, but this afternoon they said something related to "pushing the envelope", before saying "and these guys are the stamp".

(Or something like that).
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #28 on: 04 July, 2011, 04:01:21 pm »
Leopard, sorry - Lay o pard means Lazy Horse in Dutch. The name for a Cheetah (can't remember what it is) literally translates to Hunting Lazy Horse....

That is all....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #29 on: 05 July, 2011, 08:05:23 am »
I occasionally watch the Tour highlights programme on ITV 4, I think it is rubbish.   I am sure that it must be pushing the absolute limits of the time allowed (if there is such a limit) on adverts in an hour long programme.
It seems that at least half the time is devoted to adverts.   IMO the commentators are not as good as Eurosport and this is edited highlights so presumably the live edition will be worse.   

LEE

« Reply #30 on: 05 July, 2011, 09:17:50 am »
I occasionally watch the Tour highlights programme on ITV 4, I think it is rubbish.   

Don't watch it then.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #31 on: 05 July, 2011, 10:22:18 am »
According to yesterday's colemantary, Leo-pard are sponsored by some rich git with no corporate axe to grind and are thus named after the German tank.  I can't help wondering whether there is a certain lack of sensitivity in having a team named after a German tank trying to win the Tour de France.  Doubly so when the team contains Jens Voigt, who wouldn't need any tanks, artillery or infantry regiments to conquer France.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #32 on: 05 July, 2011, 12:45:17 pm »
Phil is not universally reviled, and some accord him 'legend' status:

Lockerz.com .:. Ned Boulting's Photos - Spot the odd one out.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #33 on: 05 July, 2011, 12:50:55 pm »
According to yesterday's colemantary, Leo-pard are sponsored by some rich git with no corporate axe to grind and are thus named after the German tank.  I can't help wondering whether there is a certain lack of sensitivity in having a team named after a German tank trying to win the Tour de France.  Doubly so when the team contains Jens Voigt, who wouldn't need any tanks, artillery or infantry regiments to conquer France.

Love it  ;D
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #34 on: 05 July, 2011, 12:58:27 pm »
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #35 on: 05 July, 2011, 12:58:58 pm »
Especially as Jens has his own army. JVA | Jens Voigt's Army
Jens, as a son of the DDR would be more at home in a T72 T-72 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

« Reply #36 on: 05 July, 2011, 01:04:14 pm »
I occasionally watch the Tour highlights programme on ITV 4, I think it is rubbish.   

Don't watch it then.

I think its crap as well, but you dont have any choice if you want to see the race and you dont have eurosport.

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
« Reply #37 on: 05 July, 2011, 01:29:19 pm »
I like the ITV4 show.  Liggett, Sherwin, Boardman and all.

It's a sport where extremely little happens for hours on end so it must be a nightmare to commentate on.
They have no control of the footage either which requires constant ad-libbing as the camera suddenly changes to some East European domestique rider.

I like the aerial shots of castles and villages (because the alternative is usually watching the peloton pedalling).

As for Boardman..he held the World 1 hour record and is therefore a legend.  
If it was Piers Morgan making comments about cycling strategy/technique then I'd have a problem.

Eagerly awaiting more stages.
+1.
If you dont like the commentary then hit the mute button.

« Reply #38 on: 05 July, 2011, 01:32:56 pm »

+1 to that, having grown up listening to Phil & Paul back in the good old Channel 4 days.

I must say one of my favourite moments in all that was the Beloki crash and Armstrong's subsequent off-roading.  I don't think Paul Sherwin's calmed down yet, even now.
Let your mind unravel ... down that road you're travellin' ...

« Reply #39 on: 05 July, 2011, 01:34:22 pm »
I like the theme tune :)
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

fuzzy

« Reply #40 on: 05 July, 2011, 01:42:05 pm »
I like the theme tune :)

Tis my ring tone :thumbsup:

citoyen

« Reply #41 on: 05 July, 2011, 01:50:27 pm »
I liked the old theme tune best. For the benefit of anyone who can't remember it, or what Phil Liggett looked like with hair...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/CEQ3NwgbHsI&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/CEQ3NwgbHsI&rel=1</a>

d.

« Reply #42 on: 05 July, 2011, 01:59:47 pm »
I liked the old theme tune best. For the benefit of anyone who can't remember it, or what Phil Liggett looked like with hair...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/CEQ3NwgbHsI&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/CEQ3NwgbHsI&rel=1</a>

d.

Pete Shelley, reworked this <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/-2QeJglH6ig&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/-2QeJglH6ig&rel=1</a>
for the original theme. So Kraftwerk were late to the game in mixing the Tour and Electronica.

citoyen

« Reply #43 on: 05 July, 2011, 02:11:02 pm »
Pete Shelley, reworked this <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/-2QeJglH6ig&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/-2QeJglH6ig&rel=1</a>
for the original theme. So Kraftwerk were late to the game in mixing the Tour and Electronica.

Blimey. I like that. I mean really, really love it. Wow. Thanks!

d.

« Reply #44 on: 05 July, 2011, 02:11:18 pm »
Classic lines in this round up of 1986. back then the show was fronted by Nick Owen of Crimewatch fame.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/K5iYe8z0WIk&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/K5iYe8z0WIk&rel=1</a>

« Reply #45 on: 05 July, 2011, 02:19:44 pm »
Don't know  if it was the subtitles, but one of them seems to have said. "Cote is French for hill".

« Reply #46 on: 05 July, 2011, 02:27:13 pm »
The Boardman adverts are really, really starting to wind us up now. Hope they don't have the same ones running throughout.

It must be difficult to commentate on the live bit, but I really didn't need to be told every couple of minutes that that bridge was built in 1974, or that the Queen Mary 2 had been built on that river. Or that some French boat was made there in the 1930s. Once is interesting. by the third or fourth time it is getting a bit dull.

But we still watch  - and I'm lucky that MrsH has got really into it over the last couple of years, so no fighting for the remote  :thumbsup:

« Reply #47 on: 05 July, 2011, 02:36:50 pm »
Don't know  if it was the subtitles, but one of them seems to have said. "Cote is French for hill".

It is, generally used where we'd use bank, as in Côtes du Rhône (English: Slopes or Hills of the Rhône)
Côtes du Rhône AOC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #48 on: 05 July, 2011, 09:14:38 pm »

+1 to that, having grown up listening to Phil & Paul back in the good old Channel 4 days.

Another +1 to that (except I could do without Boredman's ads).  Those C4 highlight shows were really exciting, and it's good to hear such enthusiasm still from Phil & Paul after all these years.

Stuff they get wrong tends to go over my head as I'm not a properly dedicated and knowledgable fan of the sport (or any sport).  It's mainly the spectacle of the whole thing I like, and the countryside, and watching the equipment and techniques the racers use.  I am just a simple monkey after all ;)
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #49 on: 05 July, 2011, 11:36:08 pm »
Does no-one else record the live or highlights programme and start watching it about 15 minutes later to FF through the ad breaks ?