Author Topic: Armitstead misses drug tests  (Read 17967 times)

Armitstead misses drug tests
« on: 02 August, 2016, 03:26:49 pm »
http://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/36948193

This looks really bad. Terrible timing and pretty scant explanation from her.

Andrew

Re: Armistead misses drug tests
« Reply #1 on: 02 August, 2016, 03:38:19 pm »
With all that's going on re Russian athletes at the moment, I find the leniency towards Armistead a little surprising. Note I didn't say justified.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #2 on: 02 August, 2016, 03:38:56 pm »
It doesn't look that bad. The first was a screwup by the UKAD, as acknowledged by CAS.
The second was an 'administrative error' and her fault.
The third is claimed to be due to emergency changes of plans due to family illness. The first has been discounted. The second is careless, the third is verifiable.

There is a somewhat different scenario with regard to the russian federations.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #3 on: 02 August, 2016, 04:08:26 pm »
I think it looks really bad. All tests correspond to big wins. Given that the first missed test was a 'screw up' why not appeal earlier? Why wait- particularly when she had 2 missed tests and knew what a 3rd might mean.

Her claims that she was tested the next day make it look even worse, people aren't mugs, everyone knows that microdosing would be out the system. It's just a really flaky statement that's been put out.

These athletes KNOW that the testers need to know where they are all the time. Recently, my friend sat next to David Weir at a dinner, he apologised for being on his phone, but he was letting testers know he was at a hotel in Glasgow. It's their job, it shouldn't be left to chance, your integrity and professional life depends on the process. Whether Lizzie is or isn't clean, there will always be doubts now.

Apparently, a tweet sent by Lizzie at the time the phone 'was on silent' has now also been deleted- whether that's true who knows.

I'm very uncomfortable with it, and very sad more than anything.

« Reply #4 on: 02 August, 2016, 04:17:34 pm »
Looks bad? Nonsense. The first - the official was in the wrong place, didn't try to find her - and has been reprimanded. She was tested the next morning.

The other two - she was in the wrong for one of them. The other was missed due to family emergency.

That's it. Nothing to write about.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #5 on: 02 August, 2016, 04:19:45 pm »
It stinks to high heaven.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #6 on: 02 August, 2016, 04:34:46 pm »
The third: Sure, she had to be somewhere.  So she should have updated her whereabouts: they can do that on their phones these days.  Especially if they're already in the last chance saloon having missed two tests.

The first: Athletes specify the hour during the day that they'll be available for testing, so she'd specified 6 am - so sleeping in was a pretty bad idea.  Nonetheless, if the tester had screwed up the procedure, she could have challenged it there and then.  But no, she waited until she'd been caught three times, then tried to explain away the first incident, almost a year before. 

Yep, it stinks. 

« Reply #7 on: 02 August, 2016, 07:01:38 pm »
And how come her suspension was kept quiet for three weeks!?  Sorry Lizzie, it won't wash. Very sad.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #8 on: 02 August, 2016, 09:04:26 pm »
There's a lot wrong with this scenario! She needs to speak out now.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #9 on: 02 August, 2016, 09:08:23 pm »
And how come her suspension was kept quiet for three weeks!?  Sorry Lizzie, it won't wash. Very sad.

It wasn't revealed before because it was sub judice.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Armistead misses drug tests
« Reply #10 on: 02 August, 2016, 09:19:47 pm »
Furthermore, because Armitstead was cleared, details of the case would never have been published by UKAD without her consent. It seems the story has only come out because of a leak.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

David Martin

« Reply #11 on: 02 August, 2016, 09:45:07 pm »
The first: Athletes specify the hour during the day that they'll be available for testing, so she'd specified 6 am - so sleeping in was a pretty bad idea.  Nonetheless, if the tester had screwed up the procedure, she could have challenged it there and then.  But no, she waited until she'd been caught three times, then tried to explain away the first incident, almost a year before. 

Yep, it stinks. 

She challenged it at the time but UKAD refused to admit that their tester screwed up. CAS sided with LA on that one and so it was rejected. The cost of going to CAS is not small and LA is not a highly paid athlete.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #12 on: 02 August, 2016, 09:50:11 pm »
I thought UKAD had said that she hadn't challenged it at the time?  If she had then fair enough.

simonp

« Reply #13 on: 02 August, 2016, 10:18:20 pm »
Perhaps one or the other of the last two posters could provide a reference?

David Martin

« Reply #15 on: 02 August, 2016, 10:33:06 pm »
She didn't dispute the first missed test until she missed another two.

citoyen

« Reply #16 on: 02 August, 2016, 10:34:07 pm »
"Ms Armitstead chose not to challenge the first and second Whereabouts Failures at the time they were asserted against her. At the CAS hearing, Ms Armitstead raised a defence in relation to the first Whereabouts Failure, which was accepted by the Panel. We are awaiting the Reasoned Decision from the CAS Panel as to why the first Whereabouts Failure was not upheld."

"It is important to note that we will not publicly disclose provisional suspensions, or disclose details of cases, until an anti-doping rule violation has deemed to have been committed, at which point information will be published on our website. This is to ensure that the rights and privacy of everyone involved are respected and to ensure the case is not unnecessarily prejudiced."

http://www.ukad.org.uk/news/article/ukad-statement-on-cas-hearing-against-elizabeth-armitstead/

Further reading:
https://cleansportblog.wordpress.com/2015/11/13/understanding-the-whereabouts-system/
http://www.ukad.org.uk/resources/document/uk-anti-doping-rules
http://www.ukad.org.uk/resources/document/world-anti-doping-code

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #17 on: 02 August, 2016, 10:42:40 pm »
Citoyen's first link is what I was referring to.

citoyen

« Reply #18 on: 02 August, 2016, 10:46:44 pm »
She didn't dispute the first missed test until she missed another two.

Worth noting that there are different types of appeal at different stages of the process.

UKAD's rules allow an athlete to challenge a Whereabouts Failure at the time it is asserted, in which case it is referred to an independent "Administrative Review" by UKAD. At this stage, there is no recourse to CAS because no formal charge has been made, ergo there is nothing to appeal against that's within their jurisdiction.

After the third Whereabouts Failure, UKAD issue a formal charge of an Anti-Doping Rules Violation. At this point, the athlete can appeal to NDAP (athletes at national level or lower) or CAS (athletes at international level).

The tweet from her dad appears to be directly contradictory to the UKAD statement regarding whether or not she did challenge the first Whereabouts Failure at the time. It does strike me as odd that she would choose not to challenge it when there's so much at stake for her.

« Reply #19 on: 02 August, 2016, 11:18:17 pm »
Sounds iffy to me. Of course, we'll never actually know, but surely a professional athlete wouldn't really let themselves moss three tests in a year? The first is the one that beggars belief - the comment about in competition testing the next day sounds like a smokescreen for microdosing.

The second two should be addressed seriously given what's at stake. Mo Farah had some similar experiences.

I do wonder about the reference to the Russian federation. British cycling is close aligned to the incredibly dominant Sky (did anyone notice the Sunday Times's defence) and, as i was reminded the other day, cycling remains a sport of strong traditions and culture.

Not accusing, but it all sounds a bit fishy.

Mike

« Reply #20 on: 02 August, 2016, 11:26:55 pm »
I suspect the family thing will come out. Her parents live two streets over, her brother is our plumber, Lizzie is our club patron and comes to stuff occasionally (and pops in to our primary school). Otley is a small town - loads of people know her.

^when she came to a lunch ride a couple of years back.

I think it doesn't look good. Do I think she's on PEDs? I don't know her from Adam, but the local gossipy details you pick up give me the impression it would be extraordinarily out of character.

« Reply #21 on: 03 August, 2016, 07:49:42 am »
And here is Nicole Cookes take on it.

"I have been asked by various media outlets for my views on Lizzie Armitstead missing three out of competition drug tests. My views on doping are well documented. When I made my retirement statement in January 2013 I knew there would be a significant proportion of the professional peloton, male and female, that would be critical of my stance regarding dopers – that they were stealing (in the criminal sense) the livelihoods of innocent people.

I have also been asked if I have ever missed any out of competition testing. My first test was in 1998 and last in 2012. In 14 year of tests I have one recorded missed out of competition test. Therefore in order to broach the "three missed tests" rule my career would have to be extrapolated to run for three times as long or 42 years, not one year, as the rules currently stand. Previously the international regulations sought to ban those who missed three tests in 18 months but they have been relaxed and now it is just three in 1 year. Completing the ADAMS identification system is a necessary part of the life of a professional athlete, but the athlete is at liberty to select the time during the day they make themselves available. Also, in the event of life getting in the way, the system does allow for athletes to notify the testing authorities by either by sending a text message or ringing a hotline up to one minute before the one hour window opens and changing it.

When I brought this up with UKAD as too permissive a regime, allowing the drug cheats too much latitude, I was advised that regular late changes to availability would be noted and would then draw more targeted testing on that individual. I hope that is the case.

Many athletes do take the testing regime seriously. My missed test was my own fault. My car needed two new tyres and I went out and had them fitted. Even though I later showed the authorities the time on the tyre fitment till receipt, it was my duty to be there, available at the place I said I would be available and my missed test rightly stood on my record. I learnt from it, as others do. Mark Cavendish missed a test and stated "It was my mistake. I was with a film crew for the BBC and Giro d'Italia on Mount Etna. It was a simple, genuine administrative error. Of course I totally understand the importance of testing in sport…… It's part of the job and it's my job to make sure I don't miss another". Chris Froome also missed a test. In his, case Chris stated "the authorities pitched up at seven and the hotel staff actually wouldn't give them access to our room and also refused to let them call up. So when we came down for breakfast at 8.30, they basically just said to us: 'OK, the anti-doping guys were here to test you this morning but it's our hotel policy not to let them disturb our clients or let anyone disturb our clients'. So that was a hugely frustrating situation for me. I did appeal to try and explain the circumstances to the authorities but at the end of the day I take full responsibility for that case……,I should have been more proactive in letting the hotel know this was a possibility that I could be tested. I've certainly learned my lesson there. I've stayed in hotels all over the world and I've been tested all over the world without any issues at all. Unfortunately I just didn't see this one coming but it's opened my eyes and I'm definitely going to be more pro-active in the future. It's always the athlete's responsibility to make sure he or she is available for testing."

That is what all athletes want and sport needs. Fair rules to be applied fairly, at all times, to all athletes."
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #22 on: 03 August, 2016, 09:05:24 am »
Christine Ohuruogu missed 3 tests, and was suspended for sometime, originally having a lifetime ban on Olympics by the British Olympic committee before it was overturned.

I don't know if Armistead is trying to hide something or not. But the handling of this stinks.

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
« Reply #23 on: 03 August, 2016, 09:28:48 am »
Isn't the first missed test exactly the same as Froome's? If the hotel desk won't let the testers go upstairs, how can that be the athlete's fault? You can't do much about someone else's actions.

If the athlete is not where they have said they will be why don't the testers phone them? In Cooke's garage case she was just down the road, hardly hiding out necking steroids in another country.

TBH trying to imagine having to report my every exact movement over the course of a year....I'm surprised that more people don't miss tests. And I'm a person who likes to know what the plans are in advance!
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

« Reply #24 on: 03 August, 2016, 09:35:51 am »
That is why CAS accepted Armistead's complaint. The basis is that the tester didn't try hard enough.

What is suspicious (along with the simple fact of 3 missed tests) is that Armistead didn't dispute the first missed test.

She only disputed after she had missed a further two tests.