Author Topic: What's your next audax?  (Read 32007 times)

Re: What's your next audax?
« Reply #25 on: 28 March, 2008, 09:34:01 pm »
Bryan Chapman 600 Memorial 2004 route.  I need an excuse to use that new Son hub and IQ Fly NPlus.

« Reply #26 on: 28 March, 2008, 09:59:27 pm »
The Snapper on Sunday (so called because John Ridge usually pops up somewhere with his camera).  See you there Andy.  I'm riding down to the start with Dave Lewis.  He's also doubling up with Making Hay.  I'm not.

I'm considering Faccombe Haul after that to see what cycling in England's like.  Then Dave L's inaugural Estuary Welsh.

« Reply #27 on: 28 March, 2008, 10:06:49 pm »
I'm off to Scotland for a holiday next weekend, and hope to do a couple of long rides whilst up there, but can't be bothered to sort out DIY controls. Next Audax probably the excellent Castleton Classic from Shenstone on 20th April (if I get back from Scotland in time).

Depending on where in Scotlandland you are going I  may be able to offer assistance re controls..let me know where you will be.

« Reply #28 on: 29 March, 2008, 08:43:01 am »
The Elenith , next Saturday.
Shenstone 160k.
The Plains 400k.

And my longest ride so far this year has been Russels' Tunnel ride, so I'm Sooooo unfit.

I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.

Really Ancien

« Reply #29 on: 29 March, 2008, 03:07:59 pm »
LEL is the next one I'm down for. I hope the weather calms down by then, I went out at 7.30 this morning, they said to make the most of the bright start before yet another front came in.

« Reply #30 on: 29 March, 2008, 03:30:58 pm »
Mine is the Faccombe Haul 100k on 12th April. I'll be riding up to Faccombe from Denmead to make it close to 200k. I'll be riding it with LEE and chillmoister as usual.

I need to get some training in as I have my first ever 300k planned for 26th April. (Denmead 300k)

I think the 3's in the bag, sir, what with this and 200's in January  :)

My next rides:

Dorset Coast
Faccombe
New Forest
Denmead 3 (could end up as a Denmead 2 ...)
Let your mind unravel ... down that road you're travellin' ...

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #31 on: 29 March, 2008, 05:40:34 pm »
I'm off to Scotland for a holiday next weekend, and hope to do a couple of long rides whilst up there, but can't be bothered to sort out DIY controls. Next Audax probably the excellent Castleton Classic from Shenstone on 20th April (if I get back from Scotland in time).

Depending on where in Scotlandland you are going I  may be able to offer assistance re controls..let me know where you will be.

Thanks for the ofer. The biggest problem would be getting an early morning stamp at the start in Port Bannatyne, a small village on the Isle of Bute where the only commercial outfits are the pubs which don't open until mid day. I'm not point hunting so I think that I'll just ride without the hassle of having to stick to a routine.  I have two routes in mind, both around 200km.

Port Bannatyne - Rhubordach/Colintraive Ferry - Tighnabruach - Portavadie/Tarbert Ferry - Kilmartin - up the south-eastern shore of Loch Awe - down the big hill into Inverary - round the top of Loch Fyne - Strachure - Colitraive/Rhubordach Ferry - Port Bannatyne.

Port Bannatyne - Rhubordach/Colintraive Ferry - Hells Glen - down Rest and be Thankfull - North to Crianlarich - Tyndrum - west towards Oban - down the big hill into Inverary - round the top of Loch Fyne - Strachure - Colitraive/Rhubordach Ferry - Port Bannatyne.

« Reply #32 on: 29 March, 2008, 06:08:13 pm »
I have two routes in mind, both around 200km.

They sound like 2 good routes

« Reply #33 on: 29 March, 2008, 07:52:55 pm »
They do indeed sound like good routes. They first one goes past my favourite uncle's house I think, he lives on the road from Tighnabruaich - Portavadie/Tarbert Ferry in Millhouse. My cousin lives in Tighnabruaich. I rode round there in the late 80s (or in 1990) and really would like to go back sometime soon before he snuffs it.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #34 on: 30 March, 2008, 12:40:16 am »
The Denmead 300 for me.

No riding in between may make it 'interesting'.

H

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #35 on: 30 March, 2008, 12:47:14 am »
Probably the Witham Wobble (or whatever alliterative name it had).
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #36 on: 30 March, 2008, 10:32:01 am »
My next Audax rides will be:
- North Lancs Cycleway and Bowland Forest Populaire
- Bowland 200
- Autumn in the Peak

I am restricting my riding to the above three fairly local Audax rides + two or three sportives (Fred Whitton, White Rose Classic and may be the very local to me Le Terrier) + two hill climbing Time Trials and Sunday club runs.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #37 on: 30 March, 2008, 11:02:37 am »
Our next one (and second one ever) is the Staffordshire Lanes 100k in April. I have also just e-mailed for details of the North Lancs Cycleway and Bowland Forest Populaire as we will be living up there by then and it sounds like a great challenge.

« Reply #38 on: 30 March, 2008, 11:09:10 am »
I've never done one  :-[

I would really like to but they're very thin on the ground round here  and somehow driving to one doesnt seem right.

That and the fact that I've no idea what to do when I get there ::)

Any help or suggestions gladly accepted

« Reply #39 on: 30 March, 2008, 11:38:16 am »

I would really like to but they're very thin on the ground round here  and somehow driving to one doesnt seem right.

Where are you ? When you get there, walk into the hall. Find a bloke/woman with a pile of cards, tell him who you are, tell him it's your first time. Then ride.

My next one will probably be Wiggington 100.

« Reply #40 on: 30 March, 2008, 11:43:55 am »

Where are you ? When you get there, walk into the hall. Find a bloke/woman with a pile of cards, tell him who you are, tell him it's your first time. Then ride.

My next one will probably be Wiggington 100.

East Yorkshire.   So York isnt out of the way for me.

I had sort of reckoned that that was what'd happen at the start.

« Reply #41 on: 30 March, 2008, 11:47:19 am »
East Yorkshire. Wiggington 100, May 3rd. Go on, go on, go on. There is one on June 8th from Redbeck/Christines/Hopkinsons, near Goole too that is local to you.

NB I haven't done Wiggy 100 before, I have done the 300 twice which is on the same day but this year I shall not be fit enough for 300. These Wiggy events are run by my clubmate, club chairman and AUK chairman Keith Benton.

« Reply #42 on: 30 March, 2008, 11:51:45 am »
East Yorkshire. Wiggington 100, May 3rd. Go on, go on, go on. There is one on June 8th from Redbeck/Christines/Hopkinsons, near Goole too that is local to you.

NB I haven't done Wiggy 100 before, I have done the 300 twice which is on the same day but this year I shall not be fit enough for 300. These Wiggy events are run by my clubmate, club chairman and AUK chairman Keith Benton.

I shall go and have a look ;D

« Reply #43 on: 30 March, 2008, 11:55:01 am »
I don't know anything about your ability or riding style so I have no idea if you want a flat, easy route or something more challenging.  The Wiggy 100 is quite flat, I have the route sheet.

« Reply #44 on: 30 March, 2008, 12:05:38 pm »
A flattish 100k is no problem, I would probably ride there and back ( another 100k)and make a day of it depending on domestic stuff ie time available.

With a bit of a lack of miles over the winter  I would probably struggle a bit with a very hilly 200k  but anything less , in either distance or ascent should be ok.

Any chance you could let me have the route sheet for the Wiggy 100 so I can have a look?

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #45 on: 30 March, 2008, 08:25:27 pm »
Any chance you could let me have the route sheet for the Wiggy 100 so I can have a look?
You can find the route sheet HERE

Edit: Sorry. Wrong ride - I missed the fact  that the route on this URL is on the 13th April, not 3rd May. The ride you ACTUALLY want is This One

« Reply #46 on: 30 March, 2008, 08:44:30 pm »
Elenith, then HoE, then... we'll see

« Reply #47 on: 30 March, 2008, 08:50:26 pm »

thanks.  I know just about all of this route anyway, so think I'll have a go at this.

« Reply #48 on: 30 March, 2008, 08:53:33 pm »

No you can't that is a different ride to the Wiggy 100. I think those are NY CTC ride routes.

Here is the Wiggy 100 http://www.amkirby.co.uk/NYDA/Events/R080503A.htm

Martin

« Reply #49 on: 30 March, 2008, 08:58:22 pm »
Invicta 300; although forget it if the weather is like yesterday as there will be the temptation / shame of riding straight home from Ashdown Forest.