Author Topic: Google 'classic' maps discontinued?  (Read 12723 times)

321up

• 59° N
Google 'classic' maps discontinued?
« on: 28 April, 2015, 10:42:26 am »
I've been using google classic maps for planning DIY Audax's.  Today google maps loaded to an new interface.  I tried to switch back to classic maps but it gave me a 'Lite Mode' instead :'(.  Perhaps I did something wrong  ??? 

Does the new google maps or Lite mode work for planning and submitting DIY Audax routes?

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
Re: Google 'classic' maps discontinued?
« Reply #1 on: 28 April, 2015, 10:48:13 am »
There is an option to change from "lite" back to proper classic. I used it yesterday and it worked ok after I changed.

321up

• 59° N
« Reply #3 on: 28 April, 2015, 11:03:53 am »
or bookmark this

https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=42.0369215,-71.6835014&z=8&output=classic&dg=opt

That link worked, thanks  :thumbsup:.  I couldn't see an option for classic mode from lite mode.

I hacked the url to get to the co.uk site...
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?output=classic&dg=opt

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #4 on: 28 April, 2015, 11:11:19 am »
It's the little lightning in a circle icon, bottom right next to the man/woman/person type thing.

321up

• 59° N
« Reply #5 on: 28 April, 2015, 11:25:22 am »
It's the little lightning in a circle icon, bottom right next to the man/woman/person type thing.

I thought that I tried that and it took me back to the new google maps, there may have been an option that did not notice.  I don't know why the url that I had been using to load classic maps stopped working (i.e. got redirected to new maps).  I'd better get my DIY routes done soon whilst classic maps is still working...

« Reply #6 on: 28 April, 2015, 11:35:55 am »
I had this email through a while back. Might it be related to what you're seeing 321up?

Hi,

A few months ago, your custom maps were upgraded to the new, more powerful Google My Maps.

If you’re happy with the way that your maps upgraded, great! You don’t need to do anything else.

If you aren't happy with the way that your maps upgraded, you can download the original, pre-upgrade version of your maps as KML files from within the new My Maps. These files will be available only until June 1st, 2015. After June 1st, the pre-upgrade version of the KML files will be removed.
Download your map's data

Open the new My Maps.
    Click Open a map.
    Pick the map with the data that you want to export.
    Click Select to open.
    Click the map settings .
    To download your original data, click Download classic My Maps data. To export the current map, click Export to KML.

Even after June 1st, 2015, you can still download the current version of your maps as KML files. Only the pre-upgrade data will be removed.

Thanks,
The My Maps team

« Reply #7 on: 28 April, 2015, 11:49:24 am »

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #8 on: 28 April, 2015, 12:04:02 pm »
Yep your right it does't work.

« Reply #9 on: 04 May, 2015, 05:30:36 pm »
or bookmark this

https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=42.0369215,-71.6835014&z=8&output=classic&dg=opt

That link worked, thanks  :thumbsup:.  I couldn't see an option for classic mode from lite mode.

I hacked the url to get to the co.uk site...
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?output=classic&dg=opt

:(

Neither work anymore. 

Vale, classic google maps

« Reply #10 on: 04 May, 2015, 05:37:27 pm »
this works for me    google.com/lochp centres on usa

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #11 on: 04 May, 2015, 07:41:52 pm »
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #12 on: 04 May, 2015, 08:42:44 pm »
Excellent - though I'm not doing any DIYs, so not immediately useful to me.

thanks.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?output=classi works too, and centres in the UK (london for me, but that's based on location)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #13 on: 04 May, 2015, 09:14:03 pm »
I'm going to start using Bing Maps I think.  It allows me to put in more than 10 waypoints which the new Google Maps doesn't do.  And it gives me the option for an Ordnance Survey map display, which I find very useful.   If I need to check out particular junctions etc then I'll use Google Maps for the Streetview.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

321up

• 59° N
« Reply #14 on: 05 May, 2015, 08:51:26 am »
I'm starting to use gpxeditor for the whole route planning process, it too has OS maps.  The developer is sympathetic to the needs of Audaxers and I'm confident that it will remain fit for purpose.  Big companies such as Google/Microsoft/etc just don't care about the needs of a small group of their users.  Which ever software you use for DIY Audax route planning you need to be confident that it gives you the shortest walking distance and that you can provide the DIY Organiser with the information that they need for your entry in a format that suits them (e.g. traditionally a google maps url).  I'll be defining my controls as waypoints in gpxeditor and I have a way to generate a google maps url from waypoints in gpx format.

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #15 on: 05 May, 2015, 10:52:36 am »
Is ridewithgsp set to walking going to be a viable alternative to classic googlemaps for DIYing?

hillbilly

« Reply #16 on: 05 May, 2015, 07:03:06 pm »
ridewithgypsies?

"I see a right turn approaching in your near future"

billyam998

• LEL rider C6 2013 / B11 2017 / B4 2022
« Reply #17 on: 05 May, 2015, 07:28:21 pm »
strava route creator is pretty good, as is GPSIEs and bikeroutetoaster and GPX editor. I personally hated the google maps creator and, my only attempt at a 100km DIY ended up as nearly 140 to get enough checkpoints in.

I do not understand the desire to continue with the google maps.

hillbilly

« Reply #18 on: 05 May, 2015, 07:35:11 pm »
Why google maps?

Largely because the DIY entry form is aligned with how you enter information into the Google Maps interface.  This made it very easy to come up with and show routes to the DIY organiser.  Very intuitive and well designed piece of "free" online software.

No doubt I will get used to the alternatives, but atm GPXeditor feels like it will need too much investment of my time.

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #19 on: 05 May, 2015, 07:37:14 pm »
Is ridewithgsp set to walking going to be a viable alternative to classic googlemaps for DIYing?

Yes: I did some comparisons with RWGPS set to walking compared to Google Maps Classic set to walking (before the changeover) and they were identical.  From what I can tell, for the time being, RWGPS and other mapping services that use Google Maps through an API will continue to be able to provide the Classic experience.

It's definitely viable; whether it's accepted by the DIY orgs is another question.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #20 on: 05 May, 2015, 09:06:25 pm »
What's the problem with the new Google maps? AFAICS the only difference is the new one allows you to tilt the angle when using the satellite view and it has a different 'turn' button.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Martin

« Reply #21 on: 05 May, 2015, 11:43:22 pm »
viamichelin seems to still do what it says on the tin; ie shortest distance when set to cycling. It was my gold standard as a DIY / ECE org as although not quite as kosher as MS Autoroute it was free and universally available

« Reply #22 on: 06 May, 2015, 12:53:51 pm »
What's the problem with the new Google maps? AFAICS the only difference is the new one allows you to tilt the angle when using the satellite view and it has a different 'turn' button.

No more that 10 controls allowed - and if you load an old link it silently removes the extra ones leading to some frustration.

However, it is possible to concatenate multiple routes together - this is is how I try and snap TG's track to the road, but can't see a way of doing this within GMaps itself.
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

« Reply #23 on: 06 May, 2015, 12:58:56 pm »
No more than 10 controls should see you up to a 600km ride.
Call it discipline.

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
« Reply #24 on: 05 June, 2015, 12:15:52 pm »
This appears to be working:

https://maps.google.com/maps/myplaces?dg=feature

Andy Corless