Author Topic: Three Steps to Severn 600  (Read 6374 times)

Three Steps to Severn 600
« on: 20 May, 2016, 10:02:16 am »
Just wondering who else is riding this? 

It will be my first 600. I'm looking forward to it, I think.

Weather is looking warm, not too windy and maybe a bit wet: http://www.weatherbagel.com/f/6e7b1f83-e997-4568-8f26-7d568b7cbb57
Up the hills and round the bends

Re: Three Steps to Severn 600
« Reply #1 on: 20 May, 2016, 10:19:01 am »
Yep, first 600 too. Looking forward to it :)

Not checking the weather this early on though...

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #2 on: 20 May, 2016, 10:54:51 am »
I'll be there too - going to stay at Macclesfield travellodge Friday night & Sunday night. And I agree: for now, there is not too much value in weather forecasts.
If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

« Reply #3 on: 20 May, 2016, 03:00:48 pm »
Subject to current "stomach" trouble, I'll be there. Macclesfield TL and Severn View TL booked.

« Reply #4 on: 20 May, 2016, 03:23:26 pm »
I agree, a forecast is a bit pointless at this early stage..... but I just can't help myself!

Does anyone know how it works with the bag drop?  I've not had any info sent out as yet.

« Reply #5 on: 20 May, 2016, 04:59:46 pm »
Nothing booked, skint till payday. Hoping to persuade Mr Smith to volunteer and drive.

JayP

• You must be joking
« Reply #6 on: 20 May, 2016, 05:58:19 pm »
Just checked your Weather Bagel Forecast Jhob. You may want to check the date!  :):facepalm:

Bag Drop: Your bag ( Sleeping bag + clean bibs or whatever, nowt else unless its Very Small) delivered to Aust Control. Think on. If you get back to Macc before me you'll have to wait to get your bag back.
Airbeds from LEL stores will be provided - I hope, they've not turned up here yet. Frantic emails have been sent.

Mr Bond and I look forward to shoe-horning you all into Aust Village hall.

« Reply #7 on: 20 May, 2016, 06:01:56 pm »
Just checked your Weather Bagel Forecast Jhob. You may want to check the date!  :):facepalm:

Oops, yes!  This is more like it: http://www.weatherbagel.com/f/cd9a2d75-4f32-4e8b-b9f8-a9827e65f7a1

Is a blanket provided or are all riders advised to take a sleeping bag?

« Reply #8 on: 21 May, 2016, 05:09:14 am »
Airbeds from LEL stores will be provided - I hope, they've not turned up here yet. Frantic emails have been sent.

Hopefully this will work out, but Alwyn did warn (yeah, yeah, someone else, in another thread - what do you mean, you don't read everything here?) that he might not be able to fix loans at the last minute.

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=93277.msg2023736#msg2023736

redfalo

• Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #9 on: 21 May, 2016, 06:04:51 pm »

Hopefully this will work out, but Alwyn did warn (yeah, yeah, someone else, in another thread - what do you mean, you don't read everything here?) that he might not be able to fix loans at the last minute.

My lightweight term-a-rest will go in to the bag-drop kit anyway

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

JayP

• You must be joking
« Reply #10 on: 21 May, 2016, 06:39:34 pm »

My lightweight term-a-rest will go in to the bag-drop kit anyway

All is well. There will be beds.  ::-)

« Reply #11 on: 21 May, 2016, 10:01:16 pm »
Huzzah!

I am always glad when, having been the harbinger of doom, it all works out and shows me to be a gloomy pessimist.

« Reply #12 on: 21 May, 2016, 11:17:59 pm »
...but will there be blankets!?

Irrespective, I will be there!

JayP

• You must be joking
« Reply #13 on: 22 May, 2016, 02:47:14 pm »
...but will there be blankets!?

Irrespective, I will be there!

Blankets: I have a supply of blankets. Ask me on Sat' morn  to put one in the van for you if you want one. No ask = No blanket - but surely a sleeping bag would be better?

« Reply #14 on: 22 May, 2016, 04:45:50 pm »
What sort of washing facilities are there, JayP?

/girl

JayP

• You must be joking
« Reply #15 on: 22 May, 2016, 06:49:17 pm »

/girl

The Hall is described as having a Toilet and Kitchen. I suppose that means a WC and washbasin at least in the Toilet. You probably won't get privacy in the kitchen, we may have beds in there,  but you can have a strip down wash and privacy in the Van. You're the only girl riding. Of course Severn View Services forecourt is 24 hour and is less than 1km away. We'll fix you up somehow.

« Reply #16 on: 22 May, 2016, 07:19:58 pm »
We'll fix you up somehow.
:thumbsup:
Much appreciated

You're the only girl riding.

:o

Guaranteed win, then  ;D

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #17 on: 22 May, 2016, 08:26:33 pm »
I'm also looking forward to riding this. I'm also at the Travelodge on Friday night and also Sunday, if necessary. When is the final info expected please JayP

Are there likely to be any last minute route changes, or is it safe to download the GPX now? If so has anyone got the 6 separate sections as separate files..(sorry Garmin downloads are not my favourite thing)!
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

redfalo

• Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #18 on: 22 May, 2016, 08:59:51 pm »
just out of curiosity, JayP: how many riders have signed up ?

And anyone of the Travelodge residents fancying a pre-ride dinner on Friday night? I'll be arriving 20:10 from The Big Smoke. Will be trying to get some hot food - any, err..., maybe a pint 20:30ish. There's a Pizza Express 5 min by foot from the TL.

Phil W

« Reply #19 on: 22 May, 2016, 09:07:44 pm »

/girl

The Hall is described as having a Toilet and Kitchen. I suppose that means a WC and washbasin at least in the Toilet. You probably won't get privacy in the kitchen, we may have beds in there,  but you can have a strip down wash and privacy in the Van. You're the only girl riding. Of course Severn View Services forecourt is 24 hour and is less than 1km away. We'll fix you up somehow.

And Severn View have free showers :-)

JayP

• You must be joking
« Reply #20 on: 22 May, 2016, 09:58:10 pm »
The route-sheet ands gpx files here http://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByvZhS8FXnqWWjNTdFJvV1o3Vm8 are the ones you need. If you have already downloaded them then you're good to go.

Sorry about the delay with the final info'- there was some uncertainty while I was fretting about the beds but I'm off to Four Gotes (really) to pick them up tomorrow. I'll send out the 'final' on Tuesday which will be something of an anti-climax since just about everything has now been covered in this sudden spate of conversation.

46 riders + 2 threatening to be on-the-line.

/girl

Really!?  Available 24 hours  i.e. from the forecourt ? That's a Golden Nugget of info' if correct.

JayP

• You must be joking
« Reply #21 on: 22 May, 2016, 10:27:36 pm »
I'm also looking forward to riding this. I'm also at the Travelodge on Friday night and also Sunday, if necessary. When is the final info expected please JayP

Are there likely to be any last minute route changes, or is it safe to download the GPX now? If so has anyone got the 6 separate sections as separate files..(sorry Garmin downloads are not my favourite thing)!

Pete You have email

Phil W

« Reply #22 on: 22 May, 2016, 10:57:38 pm »
The route-sheet ands gpx files here http://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByvZhS8FXnqWWjNTdFJvV1o3Vm8 are the ones you need. If you have already downloaded them then you're good to go.

Sorry about the delay with the final info'- there was some uncertainty while I was fretting about the beds but I'm off to Four Gotes (really) to pick them up tomorrow. I'll send out the 'final' on Tuesday which will be something of an anti-climax since just about everything has now been covered in this sudden spate of conversation.

46 riders + 2 threatening to be on-the-line.

/girl

Really!?  Available 24 hours  i.e. from the forecourt ? That's a Golden Nugget of info' if correct.

The showers are up to the right (same area as toilets but seperate doors) of the gaming area and wh smith in the main building. So not the petrol station but the building with Costa, Burger King and WH Smith. Not sure about 24 hour status. I asked for key from WH smith assistant. You need to leave some sort of deposit so a driving license or some sort would do. Used shower before driving home from BC400 3 weekends ago.

« Reply #23 on: 26 May, 2016, 08:46:58 am »
Sadly I'll be a non starter. Was very excited about it as my first 600. Wishing a safe trip for all. Have a great time,  with good weather.

« Reply #24 on: 26 May, 2016, 08:48:41 am »
Sadly I'll be a non starter. Was very excited about it as my first 600. Wishing a safe trip for all. Have a great time,  with good weather.

Sorry to hear that, was looking forward to seeing you again.

Hopefully see you back on the road again soon!