Author Topic: Trying to figure it out  (Read 8240 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Trying to figure it out
« Reply #25 on: 23 May, 2016, 08:47:58 pm »
I did most of my first 18 months' Audaxing on the bike on which I commuted to work, toured and did day rides.

I bought another bike for more Audax, at short notice, after a prang. (Well, I creased the frame en route to one Audax ride but had entered another a fortnight later a did not wish to cancel.)

« Reply #26 on: 23 May, 2016, 10:34:13 pm »
....  have asked the manager to inform me if something like a Dawes Galaxy or similar with drop bars and in my size becomes available ....

Nothing against Dawes Galaxy... but they are not that different to the Surly LHT.
I started audaxing on a Galaxy, and still have it as a back up, but it's definitely not my first choice.

I'm a terrible one for spending money (and all my bikes are heavily customised) but I'd definitely suggest a one step at a time approach, buy a piece of kit, then test it thoroughly before going on to the next thing.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #27 on: 23 May, 2016, 10:36:23 pm »
It's easy to be intimidated by audax and think you need 'more' - training /kit /experience. You probably don't.
The thing is, it really is just a bike ride.

This.

Well, sometimes it's a quiz and a bike ride at the same time.  Or a bike ride that starts from a hard to get to place at a silly time of day.  But mostly it's a bike ride.

Longer events turn into sleep deprivation and digestion-abuse, with a bit of cycling thrown in.

Do some shorter events with what you've got - it'll help you figure out what will work best for you.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #28 on: 23 May, 2016, 10:46:43 pm »
An Audax bike should be comfortable, reliable and well worn-in.
(Says she who successfully did a 200km brevet on a bike ordered on the phone and picked up from the shop the previous day, starting the brevet with a whole 8 miles on the clock...)

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #29 on: 25 May, 2016, 08:19:13 pm »
Or the 200kms I did on a bike I found in a skip, though I may have bought some new tyres and possibly even some bar tape.
And after 10-12 years, depending on how you count, I still haven't any need for a GPS.
bike and ride, that's all.
(I've probably got some routes (on paper) between Ipswich and Cambridge and onwards, with various detours en route, PM me if interested.)
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #30 on: 25 May, 2016, 08:24:03 pm »
I am sufficiently old and passé to have done all my Audax rides:
Without a GPS
On paper rote sheets
Without a mobile phone etc

dim

« Reply #31 on: 25 May, 2016, 09:12:49 pm »
I am sufficiently old and passé to have done all my Audax rides:
Without a GPS
On paper rote sheets
Without a mobile phone etc

thanks guys .... lots of good advice and I will study it carefully  :thumbsup:

I need a GPS.... I even get lost in my village.  :'(

I will try and do a long ride every weekend. At the moment, I do lots of miles,but it's mainly commuting to clients and the distances are short ... 10-12km per trip, but I do 4 of these a day. I definately need the longer rides.

My Surly LHT is still being customised. I may do a few Audex rides on it, (very comfortable, fits me like a glove and rides like a Lexus) but I am spending a lot of money on accesories and want to leave this one for my grandson one day. So I don't want to trash it and will only use it on the odd sunday. I'd love to do a camping trip along the coast with it though and may even attempt the Lands End to John O'Groats but will not do an organised trip.... I'd do it Solo

I'm studying the bikes that guys use for Audex rides on this forum, and am hoping to get something suitable soon. It will most probably be 2nd hand and possibly something old and in steel.

I first need to complete the LHT (another 2 months), then save up 2 months for a Giant TCR, then by the end of the year I should have saved up enough for a bike solely for Audex rides.

I can use my Carrera for now if I decide to do an Audex ride, and am looking closely at the Cambridge Audax site.

Once I get the TCR, I will definately do a few audex rides (100-200km). I will get a handlebar bag which will also be very handy on my other bikes

I had a Koga Miyata roadchamp which would have been perfect as it can take 28 tyres, and could have mudguards/rack fitted.It weighed less than 9kg but was 2 sizes too big for me. I was very sad when I sold it, but I made a very good profit

I also had a Gitane (think it was a Gitane.... only label on the bike stated 'Tour De France') ... I rode many miles on it and it would make a perfect Audax bike .... very comfortable and fitted me like a glove ... the pedal fell off/stripped the threads and I sold it as I was not in the mood to hunt ebay for a set of used cranks with French threads (I also wanted a different bike) :)

I may even consider an old Peugeot PX10  if I can find one in my size .... it can take mudguards, rack and 28 tyres ... I always fancied them ... here is a good example (a few mods and it could be a good bike for fast long distance IMHO):

http://www.mytenspeeds.com/My_TenSpeeds_1/Bicycles_Table/French_Bicycles/Peugeot_Bicycles/PeugeotPX10/PX10_1963_Mine/PX10_Done/PX10_WaterBottle/PX10_WB_Full_Side_2.jpg

In the meantime, I'm reading lots of threads on this forum, and trying to learn  :thumbsup:

“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

« Reply #32 on: 25 May, 2016, 09:44:03 pm »
some advice---don`t overthink it just get out and experience it  :thumbsup:

You`ll probably learn more from a couple Audax than reading up
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #33 on: 25 May, 2016, 10:22:18 pm »
^^^

Wot he said.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #34 on: 25 May, 2016, 11:08:06 pm »
Indeed.
Just do it!

Phil W

« Reply #35 on: 25 May, 2016, 11:31:42 pm »
Do it, I doubt that many of us posted much if at all on forums before we rode our first. We certainly didn't buy lots of kit before starting.. We just went out and rode them one day and went from there.

« Reply #36 on: 26 May, 2016, 09:47:21 am »
No need for lots of flashy, expensive equipment. Especially for 2-300km.
As long as the bike is reliable and comfortable enough to go the distance and you have the basic toolkit, clothing and maybe even lights, if needed, then you have all you need.
A moving average of 20kph is plenty fast enough for a 2-300km ride. 25kph should allow a few leisurely stops and still give time in hand.

« Reply #37 on: 26 May, 2016, 09:53:04 am »
some advice---don`t overthink it just get out and experience it  :thumbsup:

You`ll probably learn more from a couple Audax than reading up
Another vote for this advice.  :thumbsup:

Just ride and enjoy  8) 8)
Eddington Number 75

« Reply #38 on: 26 May, 2016, 10:04:43 am »
For a day's ride, you just need a bike and £20 for emergencies. When you get into wanting to ride over 2 days then we'll talk!

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #39 on: 26 May, 2016, 10:50:16 am »
Do it, I doubt that many of us posted much if at all on forums before we rode our first. We certainly didn't buy lots of kit before starting.. We just went out and rode them one day and went from there.

I bought RainLegs for my first 200km audax, which I used, but haven't used since.

You have PM, btw.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

« Reply #40 on: 26 May, 2016, 06:53:37 pm »
I bought a spare inner tube for my first 200.

Phil W

« Reply #41 on: 26 May, 2016, 07:28:14 pm »
I bought a spare inner tube for my first 200.

A bit extravagant don't you think?

« Reply #42 on: 26 May, 2016, 08:19:23 pm »
Inexpensive and effective way of scaring off the Puncture Fairy.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #43 on: 28 May, 2016, 05:24:43 pm »
Inexpensive and effective way of scaring off the Puncture Fairy.

...until she visits twice in short order...

dim

« Reply #44 on: 20 June, 2016, 03:32:08 pm »
I'm nearly ready for my 1st audax ride as most of my backlog work has been done, so I have more free time.

I've been increasing my weekly riding distances and am averaging close to 300km per week.

I was looking for a bike to convert for audax rides and managed to get an old Condor at a very good price. I was after an old Koga Miyata but could not find a small one (50-52cm in my size and for cheap)

The Condor needs a bit of work (dynamo lights etc) and hopefully I will have it ready in a few weeks time. I have a set of Schwalbe Durano plus tyres in 25 that I will install, and I may get a Brooks Cambium C17 saddle

I will also use my Surly LHT for some audax rides

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #45 on: 20 June, 2016, 03:46:10 pm »
i started riding audaxes on a similar bike, nice bike when you are not in a hurry. make sure you get the fit right and get comfy saddle/handlebars/tape.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #46 on: 20 June, 2016, 03:52:03 pm »
My first Audax was done on an old 501 tube racing bike. Just remember what Lance said "It's not about the bike". You are riding 300km in a week. Just go and ride one and come back and see how you feel. Did the bike work, does it need adjusting?

Go out and ride. You will learn more than a life spent reading.

Steve
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

dim

« Reply #47 on: 20 June, 2016, 03:59:06 pm »
i started riding audaxes on a similar bike, nice bike when you are not in a hurry. make sure you get the fit right and get comfy saddle/handlebars/tape.

thanks ... I wanted something cheap and in reasonable condition. I managed to get this one for £180

The bike is being delivered tommorow evening and hopefully it fits ok. I may need to change the handlebar stem if it does not. it needs brake hoods, new handlebar tape etc and from the pics it looks like the back mudguard needs tweaking. I will take the bike to my LBS and let them give it a full service etc

I normally  ride a size 50cm and this is a 52cm. A while back, I was interested in a used Bianchi, and emailed Bianchi in Italy with my body measurements, and they recommended a 52 or 53cm.

I have owned a Koga Miyata Roadchamp that was a 54cm and that was just a tad too big

dim

« Reply #48 on: 20 June, 2016, 04:00:56 pm »
My first Audax was done on an old 501 tube racing bike. Just remember what Lance said "It's not about the bike". You are riding 300km in a week. Just go and ride one and come back and see how you feel. Did the bike work, does it need adjusting?

Go out and ride. You will learn more than a life spent reading.

Steve

thanks ... I have sunday off, and will ride 120km on the bike and see how I feel

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #49 on: 20 June, 2016, 04:20:45 pm »
also as majority of vintage frames come with one bottle cage (or none at all!), it's a good idea to bodge a second one for longer/hotter rides.