Author Topic: NEW - Busch & Muller Luxos Front Light  (Read 102938 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: NEW - Busch & Muller Luxos Front Light
« Reply #25 on: 14 September, 2012, 05:03:22 pm »
USB power seems to be one of the new "must have" features.

It makes sense, of course - it's pretty straightforward to add to a light that's already rectifying the AC and charging a capacitor to reduce flicker / provide a standlight.  Hardest bit is waterproof connectors.  As this thread proves, people are likely to consider spending more on a light that fulfils both functions.

LEE

« Reply #26 on: 14 September, 2012, 05:13:15 pm »
The beam pattern from the 70lux Luxos seems exactly what I was looking for.

Damn It!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #27 on: 14 September, 2012, 06:24:32 pm »
I'd like to see a width of illumination comparison between the Cyo, Cyo R and Luxos.

Not that I'm reading this thread, of course.

sounds like need to Charlotte out in the park on the rollers again  ;D

All on here I think

http://www.bumm.de/innovation-original/lichtvergleich-scheinwerfer.html
Yes, I'd seen the photos already but I wasn't sure how much to trust them. A narrow corrugated iron tunnel isn't exactly a typical riding situation, it restricts the width of the widest beams, reflects light back from walls and roof and the end of the tunnel provides a artificial cut off point for distance. However, Kim says they're pretty realistic. What they do show is that the 40-Lux Cyo with nearfield beam is a more even beam than its 60-Lux sister* (which also lights up a spot of the roof). And there's no mention of the Cyo R there, only the Cyo T - it gets confusing all these variants!

However, the Luxos does have a very good beam with its panorama nearfield. Can't make out if this is something you can switch into/out of while riding though or a variant you purchase, as with Cyo and Cyo T.

Actually doesn't the T with Cyo mean Tageslicht = DRL? So nothing to do with beam shape or brightness at all.

*Lamps being feminine.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #28 on: 14 September, 2012, 06:34:41 pm »
What they do show is that the 40-Lux Cyo with nearfield beam is a more even beam than its 60-Lux sister* (which also lights up a spot of the roof). And there's no mention of the Cyo R there, only the Cyo T - it gets confusing all these variants!

The Cyo R *is* the 40 Lux version, the difference being the shape of the optics and that the 'R' has an integrated retroreflector (pointless, other than for legal compliance in countries that require it - it adds nothing to visibility while the light is on), which is where the 'R' comes from.  A 60 Lux Cyo is inherently non-'R'.

'T' is indeed the daylight running lights, and has nothing to do with the main optics, other than them not being used for the standlight function.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #29 on: 14 September, 2012, 07:30:56 pm »
R! I mean, ah! I had actually worked that out at some past perusal of the B&M catalogue, but then it slipped my mind. Ta for the R, K, OK!

I'm lukewarm at best on the Daytime light. I'm opposed to the concept of DRLs in principle, as they merely provide distraction IMO. If it's dull enough to require lighting, turn your lights on!

Reflectors I can see some point in. If you have no standlight they're obviously v imp for waiting at a junction - but do B&M still make lights without standlight? Does anyone? Apart from that, maybe they could possibly perhaps be useful when parked in a campsite or similar to prevent errant persons driving into or stepping on your bike. But I'd certainly rather have a standlight.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #30 on: 14 September, 2012, 08:14:25 pm »
I'm lukewarm at best on the Daytime light. I'm opposed to the concept of DRLs in principle, as they merely provide distraction IMO. If it's dull enough to require lighting, turn your lights on!

Agreed.  In all fairness to B&M, the DRLs stem from an attempt to improve the off-axis visibility of the light (which is fairly poor, as most of the light from the main beam goes on the road).  An additional set of diffused LEDs for 180-degree visibility is a good idea for things like rain and fog, and the standlight functionality, where the objective is being seen.

Where they disappoint is that the DRL LEDs are small point light sources, which are relatively hard to see in daylight.

Reflectors I can see some point in. If you have no standlight they're obviously v imp for waiting at a junction - but do B&M still make lights without standlight?

Reflectors make sense on the Cyo for complying with a legal requirement to have reflectors.

A legal requirement to have reflectors makes some sense in the real world, where most bike lights are nowhere near B&M's quality / reliability, most cyclists can't be arsed to maintain their lighting system, and most law enforcement authorities have better things to do with their time.  The basic shop-fitted reflectors are often the most visible part of a BSOist.

So fair enough, I reckon.  I don't think front reflectors are anywhere near as useful as rear ones (because when you need to see the front of a cyclist, you're much less likely to be shining a light at them).

« Reply #31 on: 14 September, 2012, 08:18:49 pm »
Could you plug a battery into the USB to turn the hub into a motor?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #32 on: 14 September, 2012, 08:26:11 pm »

You could, but you'd have to mod the light to fit Dark Emitting Diodes for it to work.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #33 on: 14 September, 2012, 08:30:59 pm »

Agreed.  In all fairness to B&M, the DRLs stem from an attempt to improve the off-axis visibility of the light (which is fairly poor, as most of the light from the main beam goes on the road).  An additional set of diffused LEDs for 180-degree visibility is a good idea for things like rain and fog, and the standlight functionality, where the objective is being seen.

Where they disappoint is that the DRL LEDs are small point light sources, which are relatively hard to see in daylight.

What I can't work out from the catalogue is whether B&M's T-lights are switchable - can you turn everything off, or do you have a choice only between day and night lighting?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #34 on: 14 September, 2012, 08:37:47 pm »
What I can't work out from the catalogue is whether B&M's T-lights are switchable - can you turn everything off, or do you have a choice only between day and night lighting?

I believe it has '0' 'T' and 'S' settings.  '0' is fully off, 'T' runs the DRLs and main beam at low intensity for "be seen" purposes and 'S' switches automatically between "be seen" and "see where you're going" mode according to ambient brightness and whether the dynamo's running.

So you can turn it off when parking the bike / on a railway platform / powering a USB charger / it's broad daylight

« Reply #35 on: 14 September, 2012, 08:42:16 pm »

No.  In principle a dynamo could be driven this way, but it would be subject to a few things:

1) The power electronics need to be designed to do it.  They won't be in this case, so no chance.

2) The USB socket will be an "A" type, which means it is supposed to put power out, and definitely not ever take power in the other direction.  Part of the USB specification.

3) The dynamo is nominally designed to take convert 3W of mechanical power into electrical.  Its capacity to convert in the other direction will be pretty much the same.  That's not a lot of power.  To put it another way, lots of people apparently scarcely notice the drag when it is turned on.  Imagine this converted into raw forward thrust instead.  Not impressive.

And obviously it would turn the front light red and the rear white, and the daytime running lights get all nocturnal on yo' ass.  ::-)

« Reply #36 on: 05 October, 2012, 10:55:30 am »
I currently have two Cyo lights on my bent trike and it's my intention to replace the off side light with a Luxos.
I'm just a sucker for new hub dynamo lights.

Rand.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #37 on: 05 October, 2012, 03:36:38 pm »
I currently have two Cyo lights on my bent trike

Interesting.  Two dynamos, or something cleverer?

LEE

« Reply #38 on: 05 October, 2012, 04:20:07 pm »

You could, but you'd have to mod the light to fit Dark Emitting Diodes for it to work.

I'm fairly certain my old Cateye has one of those fitted, either that or it was emitting light in a part of the spectrum I'm not all that sensitive to.

« Reply #39 on: 05 October, 2012, 08:19:33 pm »
hub dynamo and http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/b--m-headlight-lumotec-iq2-luxos-u-senso-plus-with-usb-connector/aid:620049 (9 weeks to go)

if I have the cash is there any reason not to....

« Reply #41 on: 05 October, 2012, 08:58:38 pm »
hub dynamo and http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/b--m-headlight-lumotec-iq2-luxos-u-senso-plus-with-usb-connector/aid:620049 (9 weeks to go)

if I have the cash is there any reason not to....

Yep... if it has the same standard of build quality as the Cyo.

It's a lot of cash, I'd be waiting until it is tried and tested.

« Reply #42 on: 07 October, 2012, 06:09:11 pm »
Between us, Chris and I have had 3 cyos. Not one of them has had any problems in the many thousands of kms of use. I appreciate your point about early adoption, but I'm not even remotely concerned.
We'll be getting a luxos when they're out. Mostly because the Axa we have is fuglier.

« Reply #43 on: 07 October, 2012, 06:20:43 pm »
I had one fail in a matter of  two months. I will be waiting a while.

(besides, I've got a Supernova E3 Triple  ;D.  )

red marley

« Reply #44 on: 07 October, 2012, 06:26:58 pm »
Although my Solidlights is still going strong,  I'm rather taken with the convenience of a handlebar USB charger, a more dispersed but oncoming vehicle-friendly beam pattern and bright standlight.

A word of warning though - if you buy through Rose, you will receive regular telephone directory sized bike bits catalogues from here to eternity.

« Reply #45 on: 07 October, 2012, 06:37:01 pm »
.....and if you are really lucky, a drab green bowl.

« Reply #46 on: 07 October, 2012, 09:01:12 pm »
I got a lightweight bag from Rose which I used as a daybag while travelling. I even had it repaired in Nepal. Lightweight and packs down to nowt. Unlike the catalogue.

I'm tempted by the USB-charging thing, but I'm still happy with my Fly, so I'll probably wait until that claps out, or the price drops.

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #47 on: 07 October, 2012, 10:38:08 pm »

I believe it has '0' 'T' and 'S' settings.  '0' is fully off, 'T' runs the DRLs and main beam at low intensity for "be seen" purposes and 'S' switches automatically between "be seen" and "see where you're going" mode according to ambient brightness and whether the dynamo's running.

So you can turn it off when parking the bike / on a railway platform / powering a USB charger / it's broad daylight

I've tried moving the switch on mine between T and S at various speeds and in varying levels of darkness and I've never been able to discern a difference. I think the DRLs take very little power so much above walking pace they're always on. I like them - a few people have commented that they're very noticeable.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

NEW - Busch & Muller Luxos Front Light
« Reply #48 on: 08 October, 2012, 11:34:43 am »
Starbike are indicating that the USB charger version will be available from the 10 Dec.

http://www.starbike.com/p/Busch-M%FCller-LUMOTEC-IQ2-LUXOS-5251-en

Eddington: 114 Miles

« Reply #49 on: 08 October, 2012, 11:42:09 am »
If it proves reliable, it'll be on my Xmas list