Author Topic: Is male and female cycling clothing that different?  (Read 3770 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Is male and female cycling clothing that different?
« Reply #25 on: 11 November, 2019, 06:53:45 pm »
Women's thighs are longer than men's for a given lower limb length. Men usually have longer shins.
The relatively short female torso means that phanta's thigh is approximately the length of a man who 6 ft tall!

I've only been 5'6" at a stretch but needed my standard Brompton saddle to be at maximum height (which is also right for my 5'10" partner).

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #26 on: 11 November, 2019, 07:16:37 pm »

I once had a girlfriend who had the same size shoes as me, getting ready to go out, we both spent 10 minutes trying to find the other boot of a pair, only to discover we'd both put one boot of the same pair on.

J

Now that is funny.
What would have been funny would have been to see if anyone else noticed. And if they did, whether they thought you'd done it deliberately.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #27 on: 11 November, 2019, 07:29:10 pm »
Re: feet - boyfriend and I both owned similar pairs of (grey) walking boots, though mine were technically women's (and a size bigger). He wore mine several times by mistake, then when I got a new pair (because they were discounted and purple) I gave him my old ones. ;D

A number of members of my hiking club took advantage of reduced prices on Scarpa Mantas when the non-GTX version was being discontinued.
This means there is usually a number of Blue Suede Boots of very similar appearance lying around huts on club weekends; I've not been totally sure if my ones are actually my ones and not someone else's for a while now, there was a suspicious reduction in sole remaining after one weekend but then we were walking on rock all day.

There has also been a couple of occasions where I've gone looking for one of mine only to discover a club mate with 2 different laces.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #28 on: 11 November, 2019, 07:39:59 pm »
What would have been funny would have been to see if anyone else noticed. And if they did, whether they thought you'd done it deliberately.

The boots had a 75mm heal, and the other pair of shoes had a 25mm heal. The height difference would have been problematic.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #29 on: 11 November, 2019, 07:45:14 pm »

The boots had a 75mm heal, and the other pair of shoes had a 25mm heal. The height difference would have been problematic.

J
Way to go for a three-legged race though!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #30 on: 11 November, 2019, 08:57:22 pm »

I have quite a bit of mens cycle clothing, purely as the womens stuff doesn't go big enough for my boobs. Cos apparently all women who cycle are flat chested pixies. Or at least that's what the cycle industry seems to think.

J

And all real men are 110EE according to said cycling industry?? Who's been abusing the steroids again ;)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #31 on: 11 November, 2019, 09:47:24 pm »
The cycling jacket I'm wearing at the moment is my wife's.  Not pink though - Hi-Viz yellow.  Fits me better than it does her!
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #32 on: 12 November, 2019, 11:40:41 am »
Catering for a foot shape difference would make sense in shoes, even without heels and styles and stuff, but not so much in socks, which are inherently somewhat stretchy and rather roundly shaped. I mean, if socks were really that much shaped, they'd be left and right specific, surely.
Some socks are left/right specific. Some are fitted. Tho it's rare.
Yes, I have a few pairs of left/right footed socks, and Mr fimm has several. I think it is a sports socks thing.
I also have a pair of Injinji socks. Those are the kind that have individual toes. They are definitely foot specific!! ;D

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #33 on: 12 November, 2019, 12:05:24 pm »
Yeah, I've seen those socks with toes. I associate them, rightly or wrongly, with Japanese backpackers! And I have a pair of cycling socks which claim to be left-right specific, but I know I've worn them the wrong way and not noticed (can't remember the brand).

« Reply #34 on: 12 November, 2019, 10:45:28 pm »
On the subject of socks: I was in our local mountaineering shop (Tisos, for those that know it) and found a big box of half-price socks. Even better, they were the kind I really liked. There were small men's walking socks (something like size 5-7, although I don't remember the details, but the certainly fit my size 6 feet) and I got 3 pairs. There were also small women's running socks (much thinner, and ankle height rather than mid-calf). These went up to size 5, I think. Too small for me, anyway.

While I was paying I asked what the difference between men's and women's socks was - nothing shape wise, was the reply. So I think it is to do with size ranges. My husband has size 6.5 feet and says it is hard for him to get shoes that small. He bought some gloves recently and was surprised that he ended up with size medium because everything he buys is usually small. I pointed out that while at 5'5" he's a (reasonably) small man, he isn't a small person and if the gloves were just gloves for people then the small and extra-small ones would be more likely to fit women.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLHOLARGSCS/holdsworth-argyle-sorbtek-cycling-socks
I bought "some" of these.^^^
I Was going to get 10 pairs all the same as I tend to wear holes in the right foot ones when walking.
Then saw the multi-buy discount......

.....So I ended up with 20 pairs for the same price as 10.
They match the shimano shoes (same colours, orange/blue).

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #35 on: 13 November, 2019, 09:44:42 am »
Ha! My dad has those, I'll have to let him know about the offer.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.