Author Topic: Double Dutch 200 Easter Saturday CANCELLED  (Read 65532 times)

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
Re: Double Dutch 200 Easter Saturday
« Reply #325 on: 22 April, 2019, 08:15:07 pm »
I really enjoyed my day out...Nice to have a very public transport friendly start location and time, there was a small posse of us on the 06.18 from Kings Cross.
I spent the first 10km or so getting rapidly passed by most other riders, top marks for making me feel like my bike was anchored to the ground go to Dick and Dave on the flying tandem. Then a solo-ish ride most of the way to March, although there was a flurry of interaction with other riders at the info control in Ramsey and a chat with a rider from Peterborough in a CTC jersey. More interaction at Costas in March which seemed a fairly popular choice for those wanting a sit down control rather than a quick convenience store receipt. Setting off again, the headwind seemed to be strengthening all the way towards Kings Lynn and the sea (at least I hope it was that rather than my legs getting tired). Not long before the intriguing "Chernobyl style" building I suffered an appalling close pass by a black people carrier which appeared just inches from my elbow - I think the problem is that with a headwind, you just don't hear them coming up behind. I suspect others may have suffered the same fate as although I was riding on my own there will have been people not far ahead or behind me.

I met up again with some of the Costa crew (HK, Big Saxon, Bikeabilityman and others I can't put names to) in Kings Lynn centre and had a cafe lunch, and by now it was getting pretty hot. I chose the ferry option to cross to West Lynn and happily arrived just at the right time so straight on with no waiting, just a shame it was low tide as those steps were quite hard work! I loved all the mini Crosskeys bridge "motifs" in Sutton Bridge, but I didn't love the headwind sections that followed. Every time the route turned right the effort level required went up several notches, while a left hand bend resulted in temporary relief. Fortunately approaching Holbeach St Matthews some thoughtful people had planted hedges so things did improve and eventually I arrived at the farm info control and turn. Whilst I scoffed a banana and emptied a water bottle, others arrived and I rode off southwards with Steve - our pace seemed compatible and it was nice to have someone to chat to, plus with the wind now helping us riding suddenly felt much more enjoyable. We stayed together through to Spalding where his previous knowledge recommended McDs rather than the shopping centre and then on to Crowland where I decided to stop for icecream (must be good calories surely). While I admired Trinity Bridge and consumed a Magnum, Alistair from Dulwich Paragon arrived and in due course we set off together, again good to have company on the road and we rode together to the finish. Chatting made the "for an eternity" section south of Whittlesey go much quicker and it seemed like no time at all before we arrived at Ramsey Heights and had to remember how to turn a corner and change gear! The swoop down into Huntingdon put a smile on our faces and soon we were back at the pub to be greeted by the organisers and our chance to win in the bun-bola.

Many thanks to Martin and Ann and to all those whose company I enjoyed, and apologies for the shock caused by me riding my own bike for a change.

« Reply #326 on: 22 April, 2019, 09:07:40 pm »
No people carrier but I did get close passed by a tractor somewhere in the first half which was a bit distressing. But that was the only blemish on a nice friendly ride; my thanks to the organisers and the other riders.

Martin

« Reply #327 on: 22 April, 2019, 09:35:29 pm »
I really enjoyed my day out...Nice to have a very public transport friendly start location and time, there was a small posse of us on the 06.18 from Kings Cross.

that's pretty much how the event started; I'd been to the real other Holland in spring many times and wanted to create a 200 around the English version a convenient train ride from London. Huntingdon is the furthest North you can go on a Gold / Network railcard on the East Coast Main Line so that's where it started. I expected about 6 riders the first time and got 44  :thumbsup:

2020 is going to be the 10th anniversary special tulip edition so look out for Nederlandse Dubbele in the calendar  :)

taken yesterday

Martin

« Reply #328 on: 05 September, 2019, 11:25:30 pm »
2020 event now open for entries and indeed 2 already signed up; please note change of name for this special 10th edition!

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/20-555/

Martin

Re: Nederlandse Dubbele 200 Easter Saturday
« Reply #329 on: 07 January, 2020, 09:06:39 pm »
I've had confirmation of the likely location of the fabled tulip fields; they are planning to open a field to the public for charity so I will take the route past this which should shorten the distance by a few k and will also be donating the surplus to this :thumbsup:

I think the Lynn ferry has also finally changed hands

Martin

Re: Double Dutch 200 Easter Saturday CANCELLED
« Reply #330 on: 15 March, 2020, 06:27:50 pm »
I'm very sorry but have no option but to cancel. It was either that or defer to a later date which is not appropriate for this ride.

I will keep the event live with no further entries in case anything changes

:'(

dod

« Reply #331 on: 15 March, 2020, 09:43:47 pm »
Martin, would you be able to provide a GPX of the route including the fabled tulip field? I'm hoping to do a DIY of some sort that includes it.

Martin

« Reply #332 on: 15 March, 2020, 10:09:41 pm »
Martin, would you be able to provide a GPX of the route including the fabled tulip field? I'm hoping to do a DIY of some sort that includes it.

yes of course; I'm planning a route check next weekend (mainly for reference for next year) and I will share it with entrants  :)

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass
« Reply #333 on: 03 November, 2020, 02:42:06 pm »
It's provisionally back on for next Easter Saturday 3 April subject to the usual Coveats:

groups of 6 riders
no Spoons start / finish
no ferry

but definitely Choc Bunnies!

All those entered this year have been ported over, extra entries open a month before the day  :)

GdS

« Reply #334 on: 24 February, 2021, 02:46:13 pm »
It looks like the event is now OK to run. Not sure what the maximum number of riders will be. Currently 47 riders (transferred from 2020) although the lack of overnight accommodation is likely to result in quite a few riders deferring to 2022 so my be able to take more entries.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #335 on: 24 February, 2021, 04:04:13 pm »
It's the lack of accommodation overnight that stops me entering: campsites unlikely to be open by then. A shame, as this has been on my list for years.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #336 on: 24 February, 2021, 04:05:57 pm »
I can't remember if I entered last year and therefore carried over or if I need to enter?

GdS

« Reply #337 on: 24 February, 2021, 07:33:40 pm »
I can't remember if I entered last year and therefore carried over or if I need to enter?

PM me with your name  :)

« Reply #338 on: 03 March, 2021, 11:10:59 am »
It's the lack of accommodation overnight that stops me entering: campsites unlikely to be open by then. A shame, as this has been on my list for years.

From what I can see you can’t actually enter yet. It says all events suspended, see news.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #339 on: 03 March, 2021, 01:28:09 pm »
From what I can see you can’t actually enter yet. It says all events suspended, see news.
Yes, indeed, this is what The Man himself says:
"I am hoping this event will take place although it is subject to Government guidance on outdoor sport. Number of entries also yet to be decided.
Go to Holland for the day without having to quarantine! A flat tour of the Fen with waterways history and bulbfields. Special 10th anniversary edition of Double Dutch goes past the few remaining tulip fields in the UK and also the 'Cathedral of the Marshes' at Terrington St Clement. Chocolate Easter bunny included! In the event this event is cancelled it will be postponed to Easter 2022 and existing entries will be transferred. In light of overnight stay restrictions please email me if you entered for 2020 and would prefer to delay until 2022."
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

GdS

« Reply #340 on: 04 March, 2021, 10:16:14 pm »
Entries are live grab 'em while they're hot!

https://audax.uk/event-details?eventId=8926&Evno=21-555

« Reply #341 on: 04 March, 2021, 11:01:34 pm »
NB the thread title still says cancelled.

GdS

« Reply #342 on: 24 November, 2021, 11:12:25 am »
Just putting together a card logo for 2022 to give a flavour of the new route

« Reply #343 on: 24 November, 2021, 01:02:56 pm »
Excellent. Need to get it in my diary.

And the thread title still says CANCELLED, which is probably not going to increase entries ;D

Edit: new thread