Author Topic: Froome releases blood data  (Read 2931 times)

Froome releases blood data
« on: 04 December, 2015, 12:05:20 pm »
http://www.bbc.com/sport/cycling/34999053

Not a loaded question, but why would he not have done this the day/week/month after ? Does this give advantage to competitors ?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Froome releases blood data
« Reply #1 on: 04 December, 2015, 12:19:13 pm »
And more to the point... Esquire? That renowned sporting journal? ???
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #2 on: 04 December, 2015, 12:52:38 pm »
I wondered about the Esquire thing. Do you think he thought no one would notice it there?
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #3 on: 04 December, 2015, 06:18:16 pm »
Some interesting and, I think, well informed commentary here.

http://sportsscientists.com/2015/12/seven-quick-thoughts-on-the-froome-data/

"But overall, it does come across as another point along a line of fuzzy data, half disclosure and semi-transparency. That’s what we’ve come to expect from cycling, and now athletics, and maybe all sport. Perhaps it’s time to embrace the fuzzy.

So, interesting data. Some excellent stuff, very fascinating, and as I’ve said before, I have no reason to doubt the actual numbers, or the quality of the testing, because I know the tester, and he is the best in the business.

The doubt was never going to be assuaged by numbers though – data whispers, it’s the stuff off the bike that shouts so loudly that it’s hard to hear the data speak sometimes. And Sky does a lot of shouting, as does Michelle, occasionally Froome, and this Esquire piece. But the data, if you listen carefully enough, tells part of the story, so good for him for doing it. It’s just the “how”, as it often is.
"

simonp

« Reply #4 on: 05 December, 2015, 01:34:50 am »
419W is a believable number.

But that doesn't prove that he achieved that by being clean, does it?

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #5 on: 05 December, 2015, 02:41:07 pm »
just calculated that to achieve his vo2max i'd need to weigh 56-58kg, i.e. to lose 12kg which would turn me into a walking skeleton. does 419w indicate his ftp?

simonp

« Reply #6 on: 05 December, 2015, 02:53:33 pm »
It was described as the power he could sustain for 20-40 minutes, so pretty much.

« Reply #7 on: 05 December, 2015, 05:20:40 pm »
It was described as the power he could sustain for 20-40 minutes, so pretty much.

Although I would expect 20 minute power to be significantly above 40 minute power. A 20 minute 5k runner will struggle to cracking 40 for 10k. Clearly the numbers are in the realm of possible and possibly believable, but there are still gaps in the data of course. Part of the issue isn't Frome so much as Sky and the attitude displayed. It raises hackles and suspicion.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #8 on: 11 December, 2015, 08:48:51 am »
I wondered about the Esquire thing. Do you think he thought no one would notice it there?
I'm guessing they had the deepest pockets.

I can't see Froome getting any other benefit from this show - the cynics won't be convinced, and he was already "clean" within the rules of the sport. So a decent payout seems fair!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #9 on: 13 December, 2015, 05:49:03 pm »
419W is a believable number.

But that doesn't prove that he achieved that by being clean, does it?

Well exactly. You'd expect high numbers whether he is doping or clean, so all the test proves is that he is capable of the performance of a world class road rider. Funny that.

I can understand why he did it as it must be hard to have so many doubters out there, and it's at least a gesture of genuine transparency which is what the sport sorely needs, but the numbers put out show precisely sod all about whether he's doing it clean or not. That certainly won't stop the internet experts reading what they want into it though.

« Reply #10 on: 13 December, 2015, 05:49:59 pm »

Although I would expect 20 minute power to be significantly above 40 minute power. A 20 minute 5k runner will struggle to cracking 40 for 10k. Clearly the numbers are in the realm of possible and possibly believable, but there are still gaps in the data of course. Part of the issue isn't Frome so much as Sky and the attitude displayed. It raises hackles and suspicion.

What attitude is that?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #11 on: 13 December, 2015, 06:00:56 pm »
Winning stuff.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #12 on: 13 December, 2015, 06:12:37 pm »
Winning stuff.

Haha yes, that seems to be the foundation of most people's suspicions!

« Reply #13 on: 13 December, 2015, 06:33:20 pm »

What attitude is that?

The constant justification that they're the best because they train the hardest and most scientifically call, plus Margaret nal gains... There appears to be a bit of an arrogance and it reminds some of Lance. Of course, that doesn't prove anything any more than winning does, and Frames numbers are believable. His weight is an interesting point too, which is not really discussed, although I did pick up one Dave Brailsford comment about understanding that it is possible tonnage the Tdf at 4% body fat. That's pretty impressive actually.

In my view, I don't know about Sky and Frome any more than any other team or rider, but I do wonder if cycling is now (much) cleaner than athletics.

Mike

« Reply #14 on: 13 December, 2015, 08:19:44 pm »
Yes, some fair points there, they do have a bit of arrogance about them sometimes. To me though, there is a significant difference to US postal; US Postal turned up and we're suddenly better than everyone else for no apparent reason other than the obvious (and I know I'm saying this with the benefit of hindsight!), but Sky have changed a fair amount about the way teams ride stage races...
Things like using skinsuits on road stages and having proper warm downs after stages were unheard of before they did it; all the other teams laughed at first and then followed suit when they realised that they were actually on to something (and those are just two examples).
Obviously, none of this tells us if they're using PEDs, but to me they have earned a little of that arrogance and it makes the idea that they are clean quite a lot more credible than for Lance back in USPS days.

Gees, I'm starting to sound like a Sky fanboy here!