Author Topic: Blériot anniversary ride to Dover 25th July 2009  (Read 7360 times)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
Blériot anniversary ride to Dover 25th July 2009
« on: 02 June, 2009, 09:14:27 pm »
Seeing as 2009 marks the centenary of Blériot's little hop across the Channel, those enterprising people in Dover are putting on a bash on 25th/26th July to celebrate.  On the Saturday, there should be:-

A procession of different aircraft types flying from Calais to Dover including:
The arrival from Calais of Blériot XI model aeroplanes
A procession of microlights from Calais operating under the auspices of the Aero Club de France and the Royal Aero Club
An Air Race from Abbeville
A historic recreation of Blériot's flight across the English Channel with 3 Blériot aircraft
Participation by the Royal Air Force featuring a Typhoon, the Lancaster (PA474) from the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight and the Red Arrows

As Dover is only 75 miles from London, I'm just floating this idea up in the air to see if anyone would be interested in cycling down there, going at a fairly brisk pace, perhaps setting off from Cutty Sark Gardens no later than 8 am, or possibly somewhere a bit further out from London, aiming to get to Dover for 2 pm, enjoy the aerial festivities, have a wander around the sea front and then get the train back in the evening.

There may be some hills on the way.

Anyone interested?

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Blériot anniversary ride to Dover 25th July 2009
« Reply #1 on: 02 June, 2009, 09:27:59 pm »
The 30th anniversary of this comes up on 12th June.

It's a sobering thought that I can remember this event so clearly.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #2 on: 02 June, 2009, 09:33:21 pm »
The 30th anniversary of this comes up on 12th June.

It's a sobering thought that I can remember this event so clearly.

I remember watching it on TV!

The pilot was pretty exhausted and I seem to recall there were a couple of times he almost dipped into the sea shortly before reaching the shore.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 02 June, 2009, 09:37:03 pm »
Cool!  Will check diaries... :)
Getting there...

« Reply #4 on: 02 June, 2009, 09:41:22 pm »
I've just put 'Dover with Adam TBC' in my diary.  :)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #5 on: 02 June, 2009, 10:20:59 pm »
I remember watching it on TV!

Blue Peter AND Tomorrow's World!
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #6 on: 03 June, 2009, 08:33:59 am »
A Typhoon? That would be worth seeing. Apparently, the Germans objected to the new Eurofighter being called a Typhoon because the WWII plane was a "terror weapon" used indiscriminately against, er, tanks......but were happy for the Eurocopter to be called a Tiger.
Pity I'll be in Eastern Europe at that time.

« Reply #7 on: 03 June, 2009, 08:45:04 am »
I would most definitely be interested, but will be in France
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #8 on: 03 June, 2009, 07:54:13 pm »
I would most definitely be interested, but will be in France

That's a shame.  You could always hitch a ride back on one of the planes heading across "La Manche".

« Reply #9 on: 03 June, 2009, 09:02:42 pm »
If I could persuade one to start from Brittany.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #10 on: 10 June, 2009, 11:03:03 am »
The approximate 78 mile route I'm looking at is shown here

I think I've managed to avoid the 29% climb that my first version had, but I'll be going over the route this weekend to check it.

« Reply #11 on: 25 June, 2009, 10:23:48 pm »
...but....but.... you've still got Hollingbourne Hill on the route...going up it!

« Reply #12 on: 25 June, 2009, 11:06:56 pm »
...but....but.... you've still got Hollingbourne Hill on the route...going up it!

Not.
According to the recently revised route  ;)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #13 on: 26 June, 2009, 12:29:17 am »
I think I've managed to avoid the 29% climb that my first version had, but I'll be going over the route this weekend to check it.
I must say if there is the possibility of a 29% you just gotta have a go.

Can't make it that day though
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #14 on: 26 June, 2009, 01:26:30 pm »

Not.
According to the recently revised route  ;)

Yes, it was a bit steep.  I had to change down a gear or two.  Following Jurek's much more sensible idea of using the Whitstable FNRttC route, which I've tweaked a bit, the new, revised and improved route is here.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #15 on: 13 July, 2009, 10:20:37 pm »
Right, the route is just about sorted as per this amended version.  It includes highlights such as the QEII bridge in daylight, quite a few tanks and tracked vehicles, deserted marshes, lots of horses, quaint churches, an abandoned submarine, rolling Downs, fields of poppies, a ford near a Bridge, and of course the White Cliffs.  82 miles down to (almost) sea level and around 3,200 ft of climbing, but on the plus side there's the same amount of descending.  Nothing more than about 10% slope or so......

Time for a rollcall.

Me
Jurek
PippaG
Kats
plus some Cyclechatters -
Davywalnuts
Ianrauk?
Wigsie?
Origamist
Topcat1

Departing Cutty Sark Gardens at 8am, then (on the assumption most people will have had breakfast before they left home), get a second breakfast at either Andy's Snacks or Piggy's Diner in Rochester at around 10, then grab some sandwiches/drinks for early lunch if required from the Asda in Sittingborne, have some more food/drink at a nice pub in Selling around 1.30-2-ish if required and arrive in Dover after 5.

From the Dover 2009 web site:-

3:00pm to 6:00pm Series of vintage aeroplanes processing over Dover together with flying displays at Duke of York’s Royal Military School and at Dover Seafront
6:00pm to 6:30pm Arrival of Blériot XI aeroplane flown by Mikael Carlson supported by 3 Blériot XI aeroplanes from France, Luxembourg and NL (replicas I think)
6:45pm Flypast over Dover by the RAF Red Arrows and La Patrouille de France.

The Lancaster from the Battle of Britain Memorial flight will also be doing a flypast but I can't track down a time for that so far, but I should think it would be between 5 - 6 pm judging by the other displays it's doing in the south east on the Saturday.

The Blériot planes will be landing at the Duke of York's Military school playing fields, but they're charging £10 admission to that, so I think we'll skip that and stay on the sea front.

Due to engineering works, the only trains out of Dover are the (slightly) slower ones to Victoria which take 1 hr 45 mins to 2 hours, as the other route to Charing Cross which takes 1 hr 30 mins is closed for engineering works on the section between Dover & Folkestone.

In view of this, it may be prudent to bring some lights if people stay until 7-ish.

Mind you, if there's more than 15-20kts of wind, I shouldn't think the Blériot planes will be flying, plus if it's going to rain all day, I won't be going either!

Edit - weather now looking rather nice.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #16 on: 13 July, 2009, 10:23:36 pm »
We can't be there, I'm afraid, as we have to go to Suffolk that day :(

Hope you have a spiffing time :thumbsup:
Getting there...

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #17 on: 13 July, 2009, 10:24:23 pm »
Maybe me.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #18 on: 13 July, 2009, 10:36:41 pm »
We can't be there, I'm afraid, as we have to go to Suffolk that day :(

Hope you have a spiffing time :thumbsup:

Not to worry - duly noted & amended.

Maybe me.

Yay (possibly)

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #19 on: 14 July, 2009, 08:26:20 pm »
Is this the same route as the recce the other week? (except of course with the extra 6 miles or so to actually make it to Dover this time ::-)) It didn't seem like that much climbing last time, but perhaps I have just chosen to selectively forget certain parts....

Tis a lovely ride and am very much looking forward to it :D

I think Kats is in too :thumbsup:

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #20 on: 14 July, 2009, 08:36:52 pm »
Is this the same route as the recce the other week? (except of course with the extra 6 miles or so to actually make it to Dover this time ::-)) It didn't seem like that much climbing last time, but perhaps I have just chosen to selectively forget certain parts....

Tis a lovely ride and am very much looking forward to it :D

I think Kats is in too :thumbsup:

Excellent.  :)

Yes, still the same flat (-ish) route, although for my tank surprise, we make a slight detour in Rochester/Chatham.

« Reply #21 on: 14 July, 2009, 08:45:09 pm »

Yes, still the same flat (-ish) route, although for my tank surprise, we make a slight detour in Rochester/Chatham.

Now I'm intrigued  :)

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #22 on: 14 July, 2009, 08:50:57 pm »

The last time a tank surprised me I *may* have squealed slightly....  :o

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #23 on: 14 July, 2009, 09:12:25 pm »

The last time a tank surprised me I *may* have squealed slightly....  :o

Ooer missus.  ;)

These are inert, not moving and possibly a little bit rusty in places.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #24 on: 18 July, 2009, 08:23:49 pm »
I a definite for this one.  :)
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup: