Author Topic: The VCDM 2008 Tour - France, Belgium & The Netherlands - 26/07 - 09/08  (Read 5667 times)

An international cyclo pub crawl through Flanders and The Netherlands. Starting from Chelmsford in Essex, riding to Dover for ferry to Dunquerke and then a meander through Belgium and the Netherlands, taking in as much weird-wonderful culture and mayhem as we can find. Returning from Hoek van Holland to Harwich in time to join the 'Up the 'Uts' gang to round the tour off with a weekend of camping, cycling and silliness before the final push back to Chelmsford.

We don't have much in the way of an itinerary after the first few days, we'll be making it up as we go along after that! I like the idea of keeping it random - although any suggestions for places worth a visit will be gladly received and considered.

We're hoping to update this thread, blog style, as we travel - but will have to wait and see how that pans out. I've got a feeling I might find myself seated at a bar rather more often than in front of a PC. ;)

The VCDM 2008 Tour - France, Belgium & The Netherlands - 26/07 - 09/08
« Reply #1 on: 04 July, 2008, 10:07:20 am »
I'll definitely be atempting the Muur van Geraardsbergen - something like a 100m climb over a distance of 1k, on cobbles! I think I remember some journo in Cyling Plus saying he did it in around 5 mins, so I'll be aiming to beat that. :P

[edit] Check the profile!

Re: The VCDM 2008 Tour - Belgium & The Netherlands - 25/07 - 10/08
« Reply #2 on: 07 July, 2008, 04:21:48 pm »
Nice one!

Can't believe it's only 3 weeks away now after so much planning!

One thing I'm slightly concerned about is that every guide I've read about cycling in Flanders and NL is that bike theft is rife. Is this true? We have some fairly heavy duty locks (and yes, yes, I did read the article in Cycle the other month) It's just that I really don't want to have to spend days in a cop shop trying to get my bike back.....

As for the Muur van Geraardsbergen - I reckon I can do it in less than a minute!

That'll be top to bottom though  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #3 on: 07 July, 2008, 04:37:43 pm »
According to the Wikipedia page it's nearly 20% in places! I think though we can safely assume we won't come across anything quite like the hills on last year's tour to Cornwall...

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #4 on: 07 July, 2008, 04:41:00 pm »
If you get to Brugge then the Frietsmuseum is worth a visit!   :thumbsup:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #5 on: 07 July, 2008, 04:44:04 pm »
HELLO! I'll go if she's there... ;)

And Brugge was going to be our first stop from Dunquerke anyway...

Regulator

« Reply #6 on: 07 July, 2008, 05:21:05 pm »
Where are you staying in Brugge?

If you haven't got anywhere booked I can recommend the Brugge Dudzele Herdersbrug hostel.  It's not as close to the centre of town as the Europa hostel (the main youth hostel) but it's smaller and the rooms are nicer.  It's about a 5km ride from the centre of town.  You can get details from the Hostelling International web-site.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #7 on: 08 July, 2008, 09:08:25 am »
Thanks Reg. We're actually going to be camping all the way. Bobb has a large map of Flanders that indicates camp-sites and I was hoping to pick up some local cycle route guides once over there. I've tried emailing the relevant Flemish authorities to get maps and guides in advance, but without much success. We'll just have to play it by ear!

Regulator

« Reply #8 on: 08 July, 2008, 09:14:11 am »
If you're going to Ypres, then I'd recommend the Camping Jeugdstadion.  The pople running it are a bit surly but the facilities are excellent and it is only a few minutes walk fromt he centre of town.

Whatever you do, make sure that you go to the Last Post ceremony at the Menin Gate - 8.00 p.m. every night.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #9 on: 24 July, 2008, 06:29:59 pm »
UGGG! About 36 hours now until tour-start! Am I anywhere near organised and ready to roll? Of course not. :o I was expecting a quiet week at work but it's been totally the opposite - Monday was lost to a hangover and Tuesday onwards has been manic, having to put in extra hours and all that. The bike could do with a clean - might do that tonight when I get home if I can be bothered. I've been riding the bike almost every day for the last 4 months (commuting) so I know it's good to go and doesn't need any further fettling. Packing I always do the night before, I know what I need to take, I know where it is, I can put it all together in a couple of hours. Going abroad and having to catch a ferry is an extra level of worry I suppose - got to make sure we make that deadline! And bobb needs to make sure he doesn't leave his wallet at home like he did when we set off for the recent weekend tour to Suffolk! :P

« Reply #10 on: 24 July, 2008, 07:54:59 pm »
Have a good one, both  :)

Nienke

« Reply #11 on: 25 July, 2008, 12:17:23 pm »
bike theft is rife. Is this true?

As in this country, it strongly depends on where you are in the Netherlands (I don't know about Belgium really). If you're in cities I would recommend keeping an eye on your bikes at all times, or leaving them somewhere in secure bike storage, but NOT just locking them up outside. In the countryside it shouldn't be a problem.

In any case, have a great time. It really is a nice country for cycling :)

Re: The VCDM 2008 Tour - France, Belgium & The Netherlands - 26/07 - 09/08
« Reply #12 on: 11 August, 2008, 03:26:49 pm »
That was, umm, mental. Bobb's quote of the tour, "Maybe next time we should be a bit more organised". I believe bobb is doing a full write-up, so I'll just summarise:
In Flanders they are really into cycling. In Flanders they are really friendly and helpful. In Flanders all the girls are really beautiful. I want to move to Flanders. In Flanders don't ask about their Wallonie neighbours if you don't want to hear a tirade of bitterness, resentment and swearing.
In Holland we got bogged down on a sand dune in a massive thunderstorm. We missed our ferry. I had two sleepless nights. Then we missed the 'Uts. But Flanders was great...

Re: The VCDM 2008 Tour - France, Belgium & The Netherlands - 26/07 - 10/08
« Reply #13 on: 11 August, 2008, 03:53:20 pm »
In Flanders don't ask about their Wallonie neighbours if you don't want to hear a tirade of bitterness, resentment and swearing.

They're not bitter at all! They're just realistic - those F****** WALLONIE BITCHES!!!  :P

My write up is coming along nicely.... Will post soon...

« Reply #14 on: 11 August, 2008, 04:01:38 pm »
Just to be clear - in that particular example the guy was extremely drunk and his main gripe was paying 30% tax, which he perceived to be supporting the unemployed of Wallonia.

« Reply #15 on: 11 August, 2008, 05:41:53 pm »
Here are the towns we took in, it bares no resemblance to the route I initially had in mind, and it's about half the distance! But we were on holiday so stuff it.

Dunkerque - Bray Dunes
Bray Dunes - Nieuwpoort
Nieuwpoort - Torhout
Torhout - Dudzele
Dudzele - Knokke-Heist
Knokke-Heist - Nollebosch (sand dune, Vissingen)
Nollebosch - Domburg
Domburg - Hoek van Holland

I'm confident bobb with fill in the nonsense we encountered at each stop.

« Reply #16 on: 11 August, 2008, 09:40:10 pm »
You missed out Torhout-Torhout-Torhout !!!

Regulator

« Reply #17 on: 12 August, 2008, 11:01:42 am »
Just out of interest, was the stop in Dudzele at the Youth Hostel there?  If so, what did you think of it?  Was the mad Welsh/Belgian woman still in charge?

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #18 on: 12 August, 2008, 11:07:57 am »
Yes we did stay at that hostel, for two nights. I thought it was OK* - we stayed in a dorm. Dudzele was the funniest little town. We happened to be there when they had their town festival - I won't say too much about it because I'm sure it will be in bobb's write up, but let's say it would have been right up your street, Reg.
No mad Welsh woman but a very very nice man who offered to drive us to Brugge if we wanted to go back there for the evening!

*[edit] Bearing in mind we had spent the previous two nights roughing it because we couldn't find a 'campings' it was a bloody luxury!

p.s. I didn't ask because I didn't want to be disappointed - but I really hope that Dudzele is pronounced Dude-zella.

« Reply #19 on: 12 August, 2008, 11:09:15 am »
Just out of interest, was the stop in Dudzele at the Youth Hostel there?  If so, what did you think of it?  Was the mad Welsh/Belgian woman still in charge?

The hostel was indeed just outside Duzele! It was run by a mad Flemish bloke though.

I thought it was great. There was a vending machine full of Leffe for a start!

We went to the Dudzele festival which was the maddest day I've had for a long time.

Rubbish transvestites singing miming and dancing to Eurobeats was hilarious.

We're definitely going back next year for it. Not least because I really fancied the girl serving beer on the stall in the town centre  :P She even walked me to the bank and used her card to get me in so I could get some cash out. Aren't Belgian banks rubbish?!

« Reply #20 on: 12 August, 2008, 11:12:31 am »
They were full on Drag Queens - and about the size of your average rugby player! The kids they were performing with (for three hours straight) could really dance - it was actually quite impressive in a Euro-naff kind of way.

[edit] We wondered how they were going to possibly top that, but they did... Bobb you need to get that write-up posted because I am itching to tell this one!

« Reply #21 on: 12 August, 2008, 02:10:42 pm »
I can't hold onto it for any longer: The crowd went raving, young and old alike, for a guy dressed up as a hot dog dancing to the worst Eurotrash-Pop imaginable. It was brilliant.

« Reply #22 on: 13 August, 2008, 06:18:59 pm »

There must have been a rash of them - Mrs Deene who ran the famous lodgings for racing cyclists initially in Ghent and then in Zomergem was Welsh and married to a Belgian. Tales of this lady are many. Graham Webb (ex World Champion) is going to write a book - several of us have been providing stories to him.

« Reply #23 on: 13 August, 2008, 07:13:43 pm »
Sounds interesting, keep us posted on that one...

« Reply #24 on: 15 August, 2008, 05:17:29 pm »
Apologies for the crap spelling and grammar. Written in a hurry and can't be arsed to fix it!

Our tour this year:

So we set off first thing on the Sat to Dover to camp up before catching the ferry to Dunkerque on the Sunday. I was a little disorganised (and hungover) and it became clear we weren't going to get down there on time on pedal power alone (the route through Kent is also rubbish as we have found out previously - also about 100 miles!) so we got a train. This was always going to be the shittiest part of the tour anyway.

We got to the campsite near Deal and it was so warm that we didn't bother with tents. In the morning, the woman didn't even charge us as we hadn't put up tents!

The route to Dover was shit. All main roads. But we got there (if a little late) and got on a boat.

The crossing was calm and uneventful - apart from my stunt riding coming off the ramps in the 'kerque. Basically lost control of both wheels completely on the metal bit! But of course, I held it and regained control as Erron behind simply shouted "Whoah!"

We pedaled east and stopped at a bar for a Kronie. It was good to see the French completely ignoring the smoking ban!

We carried on and found some town (the name of which escapes me) and found somewhere to eat. As it was getting late and there were a couple of campsites nearby, we decided to stay there for the night.

The campsite was typically French ie the toilets were revolting! The town was also typically French ie there were no bars open!

We trudged back to the campsite to find a bar right there! Gah! If only we'd known that in the first place!

It was 10pm by now and the bar closed at 8!! However!!! "French chick" (the first of many named females on the tour) was still there and happily served us beers with a cheeky smile even though the bar closed hours ago. She was rather lovely.

In the morning, we packed up and headed for Belgie.

This is also the time when I noticed my camera was nowhere to be found. Ho hum, I'll buy another - I probably just left it on a bar table somewhere. Or some French chav nicked it.

It didn't take long to get out of France and when we saw the sign for Belgie and the old border building we gave a triumphant punch in the air.

This is when things started getting mad!

As soon as we got into Flanders, the road widened and we were treated to nice wide cycle lanes. There were bikes everywhere. Utility cyclists wanging it around on town bikes and hardcore roadies in their club kit.

"This is great" I said "All we need now is some hot chicks on bikes!" 10 seconds later about 15-20 hot girls came cycling in the other direction - all singing happily! We were in heaven!

Next up we came to a bit of a big junction and we needed to take a left. "Shit what do we do here" we thought. No problem. Every single car just stopped and waved us cheerily through!! We loved the place already.

This is where some details may not be entirely in order and may be a bit hazy. This is because this is the point where we got on the famous Belgian beer!!

We found a campsite near the town of Niewpoort on the north coast. It had a bar so we sank a few Jupilers before pitching tents and heading into the town.

We drank quite a bit of beer before returning to the campsite including some cranberry beer that the waitress found rather amusing. I suppose it was obvious - that's very much a girls beer!! We necked a few trappist beers too. Very, very dangerous!!

When we awoke in the morning (somewhat late) we were pretty hungover!

As I lay in the shade, Erron went into the town, only to return with some tins of Jupiler. Sorted - that'll get rid of the hangover!

It was clear at that point that we would be staying another night. So we went into the town, got something to eat and consumed (rather less) beer that evening.

We got up in the morning in fine spirits and carried on our journey.

Our Flemish was now excellent - well, we knew how to order beer and the pleasantries that should be made on such transactions ;) We stopped for a beer mid morning in a well old skool locals bar. Nobody spoke English, but that wasn't a problem now! We ordered a couple of Jupilers and sat down inside (it was very hot). As we got to the end of the glass the woman behind the bar asked us if we wanted another. We weren't planning on another but thought we might as well as they're such tiny glasses. Then she pointed to this old guy intimating that he was paying! We thanked him and necked the beers. This was the first of many incidents of Flemish hospitality.

We carried on our way and I must admit that things are a bit hazy here, but lets just say we ended up kipping in a church yard under the stars in a small town called Torhout.