General Category > Audax

2019 North Yorkshire Brevet Unpopulaires - now with actual Populaire!

(1/10) > >>

Deano:
Once again, I'd like to invite you all to either of my brevets unpopulaire - or, of course, the actual populaire. They're all on Saturday 27th April 2019, from Newby Wiske, North Yorkshire. It's easily reached from the A1 or A19 - it's between Thirsk and Northallerton, both of which are well-served by trains. Look for Grand Central trains for very bike-friendly services from London, York and Sunderland.

Overground Underground is a gentle 50 km around some of the pleasant lanes of North Yorkshire, including a trip to the local arboretum. It also has a couple of surprises in it. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28437678

Don't Keep to the Road is 100-anna-bit kms, with the usual mix of bastard hills, offroad climbs and descents, abandoned railways, hidden valleys, forestry trails and pubs. Well, last time I checked, the pub in Hawnby was still shut, but there's still the Lion on Blakey Ridge for the halfway control, and the Dog and Gun in Knayton is a good calling point before the final 10 miles or so. Route: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/25648476

Moor Gravel Forever is the same loop, but with an extra loop farther into the Moors making it up to 100 miles. More gravel. More hills. Less hike-a-bike than last year - there's a slight route change, which avoids the lovely cafe in Lealholm, but more importantly avoids the gratuitous hack through the bracken above Fryupdale. Many thanks to all riders for not complaining about this - I loved it, but I've found a proper alternative. I'll get around to updating the routesheet and gpx once I've found a decent control in Glaisdale (the butcher's does good pies, but shuts early on Saturdays). There are a couple of other changes - no more Foxton Lane, though that remains in DKttR. Route: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28355218

All three events have very generous minimum speeds, and Monket House Bank remains in both of the offroad rides, you'll not be pleased to hear. Despite some lobbying from a couple of riders, I'll not be renaming either ride Welcome to the Monket House - I don't think the world has enough Dandy Warhols/Kurt Vonnegut fans for it to work, sadly.

There's free camping* and food at the start and finish, and an all-night after-ride party. I think we eventually went to bed at 4 am last year - with the 300 on the same day, riders on the 150 will be finishing around the same time as riders on the 300, and you'll probably still be greeted with cowbells. There doesn't seem to be any way for me to stop that, but it'll be a great atmosphere - it was again last year.

* It really is free, but I'll almost certainly wave a charity tin in the direction of anyone camping, cos the start/finish is my mate's farm, and all proceeds from the ride will go to the Alzheimer's Society. No obligation though.

More photos on Flickr (for now), and more in last year's thread

(click to show/hide)Some of you may notice that the MGF poster is little changed from 2018 - well, I really like that photo. yorkshire_pedaller and Uncle Roy's tandem exploits make them a natural choice for DKttr 2019 cover stars.

Kim:
 :thumbsup:  I think this means I need to not spend the winter losing all my cycling fitness through a series of chest infections...

Stretch:
Great stuff, looking forward to it already. Easily one of the best days out on a bike that I had last year.

D.A.L.E.:
Moor Gravel Forever is one of the toughest days out on a bike I've had at any distance. In a good way.

Hoping I can do a 300 qualifier somewhere else to leave me free to ride it again this year.

sojournermike:
Lovely timing. Now which route - off road or the 300?

And could I persuade Mrs S to do the 50, or even DKTTR?

Looking forward already

Mike

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version