Author Topic: Replacing gear cable STI shifter.  (Read 1665 times)

SiD

• I prefer a loose Kenyan…
    • Lap the Lough
Replacing gear cable STI shifter.
« on: 02 June, 2011, 02:36:19 pm »
Old cable taken out.

Shifter down to slackest setting - but the small eyelet to push the cable into isn't there/not lining up.
Can't insert cable - I've been here before but can't remember the solution.

Advice - thanks in advance.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: Replacing gear cable STI shifter.
« Reply #1 on: 02 June, 2011, 02:41:06 pm »
Check that the bar has not swiveled round.

Pull on the lever, when you look in the gap between the lever and the body there will be a round metal bar, about 20mm long, IIRC it will be in a vertical position.  nip it between fore finger and thumb and turn it round.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

SiD

• Lap the Lough
« Reply #2 on: 02 June, 2011, 02:51:13 pm »
t,

IIRC - are you talking about the brake cable eyelet?
Unfortunately it's the "gear insert" part of the shifter - the cable is inserted at a right angle to the shifter.

S

SiD

• Lap the Lough
« Reply #3 on: 02 June, 2011, 03:29:24 pm »
Sorted.

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than it is to thread a Shimano shifter cable.

S

« Reply #4 on: 02 June, 2011, 07:34:14 pm »
Sorted.

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than it is to thread a Shimano shifter cable.

S

You should try Sram!!

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #5 on: 02 June, 2011, 07:50:52 pm »
t,

IIRC - are you talking about the brake cable eyelet?
Unfortunately it's the "gear insert" part of the shifter - the cable is inserted at a right angle to the shifter.

S

Yup, I was talking from memory as ICBA to go out to the garage and look :)  I had real problems when I built up my Dave Yates with Tiagra, all down to be limiting myself to a set number of tasksper night....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State