Author Topic: Prudential Surrey 100  (Read 14096 times)

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
Re: Prudential Surrey 100
« Reply #26 on: 28 July, 2016, 06:16:10 pm »
8.20am start time for me, on 5.48 train from Richmond to Stratford. Legs still stiff from Alps Raid last week, so grateful  I won't have to go off at 25mph+ like the 6am folk!

Mrs. JB will be 7 minutes behind you!

We have a tandem entry, but I will not be riding sadly (I am going to help out with her business for the day).  Sadly I can not even defer my entry, so some money down the drain!  Ah well, whilst fun, it was pretty stressful on the tandem as well!

I hope to be able to appear on the route at some point and at least cheer people on.  I spent time in Kingston last year and it was all good fun.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #27 on: 29 July, 2016, 10:27:13 am »
Best of luck & Bonne Route to Mrs. JB. I have also watched from Kingston in previous years.
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

« Reply #28 on: 29 July, 2016, 11:15:42 am »
8.20am start time for me, on 5.48 train from Richmond to Stratford. Legs still stiff from Alps Raid last week, so grateful  I won't have to go off at 25mph+ like the 6am folk!

I am at 6.04am... why do I have to go at 25mph ??? I will be but I didn't know it was a requirement!

I am leaving at 4.15am... I have no idea how to get there from Battersea!  :facepalm: ;D

I think I may have to cycle along the south of river to Blackwall tunnel and get to Orange zone from there! But first gonna try and blag my way across a bridge earlier and then reach Commerical Road/A13 and go along there.

« Reply #29 on: 29 July, 2016, 11:50:39 am »
The route to the Stadium is singposted with yellow 'To The Start' signs (on part of my commute) and takes you up north from the A13 along Burdett Road, Grove road, through Vicky Park - I'm not sure what it does after that to get through Hackney, as that isn't on my commute - but it resumes on Lea Bridge Road, heading NE, and then takes a right down Orient Way to approach the QE Olympic Park from the north.

« Reply #30 on: 29 July, 2016, 11:59:17 am »
I understand that part! I just can't see a way to get to A13 from South of Chelsea bridge side right now.... So fingers crossed.

Right apparently this : https://d1ffaecguugkl4.cloudfront.net/ridelondon/live/uploads/cms_page_media/765/2016-PRL-cycle-routes-to-the-Start.pdf is telling me that I can use Rotherhithe tunnel to cross. Perfect!

« Reply #31 on: 29 July, 2016, 02:07:51 pm »
Good luck to all riding on Sunday, hope you have a great day out!

I didn't get in again but not too fussed. I am taking my 8 year old for a couple of Laps of the Free Cycle tomorrow which will be fun if the weather is good.

Pete Mas

« Reply #32 on: 29 July, 2016, 03:33:42 pm »
4 hours is easy. Find a wheel, churn at 25mph without stopping. Collapse in a heap!...I am at 6.04am... why do I have to go at 25mph ??? I will be but I didn't know it was a requirement!

Those starting at 6am are generally aiming for 4 hours for the 100 miles.. :)

R.L.Stevenson

« Reply #33 on: 29 July, 2016, 03:38:35 pm »
Haha I forgot I wrote that!!

I guess I better live up to my own words!!

« Reply #34 on: 01 August, 2016, 01:13:36 pm »
4 hours 58 mins at 20.1mph @ 6.04am start so i avoided the entire log jam that happened later. Whilst i did the first 30 miles at 25mph, I knew I couldn't sustain it and I wanted to keep my stops to a minimum (10 mins in total in the end) so I went a bit easier and completed by 11.15 or something. Marvellous to have the entire road. Not too many other silly cyclists so it was all good.

« Reply #35 on: 01 August, 2016, 03:19:21 pm »
Just under 7-hours for me but a thoroughly enjoyable day out.  Loooking forward to next year already!

« Reply #36 on: 01 August, 2016, 03:34:03 pm »
5hrs 47mins not inc. 43mins stopped at Pyreford (sp?).

I was one of the first half-dozen riders prevented from bypassing the downed rider by the police. Awful scenes. Hoping that he makes a good and full recovery, as quickly as possible.

Hard to talk about enjoying the ride given those circumstances, but up until that point I did have a great time - the sheer joy of cycling on closed roads through the city I have always lived in will stay with me forever. From Pyreford onwards though it felt a bit grim.

Stay safe.
Eddington Number = 132

Martin

« Reply #37 on: 01 August, 2016, 10:23:03 pm »
Excellent job all of you :thumbsup:

it went 100m from my door so I watched about an hour of the 100 mile event; despite having ridden a hillier 100 miles last weekend I found it exhillerating to watch and was SOOOOOOOO envious that I'll be entering the ballot for 2017 next Monday, is there a knack to this?

also saw the pro race come through later; a flash of colour motorbikes and cars but looking back through the photos I got one of the winner Tom Boonen

very very sad to hear about the poor rider who passed away on Kingston Bridge ;-(

« Reply #38 on: 02 August, 2016, 10:53:01 am »
I think the key to getting a place if you are not intending to ride for a charity is to put an estimated time like under 5-hours as not too many aspiring riders would wish to go around that quickly.  However, if you have ridden it in the past, I am sure that the organisers will look at previous finishing times.  I suppose you do have a full year to train and trim the times a little though.

Martin

« Reply #39 on: 02 August, 2016, 11:25:46 am »
I think the key to getting a place if you are not intending to ride for a charity is to put an estimated time like under 5-hours as not too many aspiring riders would wish to go around that quickly.  However, if you have ridden it in the past, I am sure that the organisers will look at previous finishing times.  I suppose you do have a full year to train and trim the times a little though.

I presume the fastest riders (or those who think they will be) are sent off early (unlike Reliability trials where it's the opposite)

no chance of under 5 hours for me, my fastest ever ride was 10'55" for a 300k in Sweden but that was pan flat with huge peletons all the way round (which I did find myself at the front of for some of the time)

« Reply #40 on: 02 August, 2016, 01:58:21 pm »
Certainly an early start for the fastlads.  I think the fastest was under 4h-30m this year.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #41 on: 02 August, 2016, 01:59:59 pm »
Certainly an early start for the fastlads.  I think the fastest was under 4h-30m this year.

Sub 4.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Pete Mas

« Reply #42 on: 03 August, 2016, 05:26:02 pm »
Really enjoyed the ride, apart from having to walk or stand still for about 1 and a half hours at Pyrford, due to the post-accident congestion, and again at Leith Hill, where  the lower slopes were congested leading to a slight delay. Glad the weather was kind to us all. Apart from those (forced) stops, I didn't bother with any of the hubs, and my overall placings improved at each timing point, from 16,301 place at the first point to finishing as finisher number 12,816. Overall time(including all the above mentioned delays was 7 hours 10 mins. The crowd support was incredible and I got lots of shouts wearing my Kingston Wheelers kit. As I'd just returned from a week in the Alps I found the terrain fairly easy going. Great to ride parts of my usual commute (e.g Kings Road) on closed roads On the way home I reached Kingston Hill just in time to watch Geraint Thomas flash past, followed by the break and peloton.

R.L.Stevenson