Author Topic: [HAMR] New challenger - Bruce Berkeley AKA Cycle_dr 1  (Read 164541 times)

Oranj

• Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?
[HAMR] New challenger - Bruce Berkeley AKA Cycle_dr 1
« on: 28 October, 2015, 08:59:49 pm »
Watching the GCN Show this evening, there's a short section about Kurt's marriage, and also an announcement that Bruce Berkeley will start a OYTT on 1 January 2016 [https://youtu.be/M3UHN6HUmcc?t=645]. He's otherwise know as Cycle_dr 1 on Strava and has got some previous form, having set a "Guinness record" for the number of miles ridden in a month (http://road.cc/content/news/141773-bruce-berkeley-rides-nearly-10000km-january-set-new-guinness-world-record) (It which didn't actually beat Tommy Godwin's best month and was later surpassed by Kurt anyway, but a good effort nevertheless. I'm guessing Tommy didn't bother to register for a Guinness record month  ;) ). He's often near the top of Strava Challenge leaderboards.

Although illness cut short his attempt on the LEJOG-JOGLE record this summer, I would reckon him to be a serious contender if he can build up a decent support network (I got the impression that his month record was largely self-supported, ridden in the heat of an Australian summer).

Re: New challenger - Bruce Berkeley AKA Cycle_dr 1
« Reply #1 on: 28 October, 2015, 09:31:08 pm »
Here's wishing Bruce very well for his attempt!

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #2 on: 29 October, 2015, 10:14:48 am »
Crikey. This is becoming almost as popular as the Hour Record.

Looking forward to following the new contender's progress...
Embrace your inner Fred.

« Reply #3 on: 29 October, 2015, 10:32:55 am »
Hope he consulted Jo first to see if he was prepared to extend his services for another 4 months!
The sound of one pannier flapping

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #4 on: 29 October, 2015, 10:46:29 am »
A strong contender for sure.  Fast and furious - his big monthly totals often come with average speeds of 28-30kph, so his attempt will probably be more in line with Kurt's than Steve's.  He regularly rides with other strong and fast riders, so he may not be short of pacers.

I remember much if not all of his biggest month was done back in Oz.  I wonder if he will be spending some time over there in (our) winter etc. 

I wonder how many laps of Richmond Park he will do in the year?  (he seems to do quite a number of laps every single day!).

Good luck to him.

Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

hillbilly

« Reply #5 on: 29 October, 2015, 10:50:41 am »
I've often seen him mentioned/listed on the monthly mileage logs on Strava.  A big hitter.  I suspect he'll do well, subject to the usual caveats about weather and injury.

« Reply #6 on: 29 October, 2015, 12:03:41 pm »
First noticed his Strava feed at the beginning of the year in the MTS January or February challenge.

Clearly a strong contender.

Strange how TG's record could sit uncontested for so long, yet now it seems to be as popular as it was in the 1930s

« Reply #7 on: 29 October, 2015, 12:33:18 pm »
Back when he was attempting the monthly mileage record, I seem to remember reading that he used to be an elite roadie. If that's right then he'll certainly have the fitness to give this a great go (though as we've learnt, this is about much more than fitness)!

hillbilly

« Reply #8 on: 29 October, 2015, 01:15:05 pm »
I find it interesting that all of the contenders announced to date all hail from English speaking countries.  This despite the attempts being followed by non-English speaking cyclists (presumably even more niche than in the UK though).

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #9 on: 29 October, 2015, 01:55:22 pm »
I find it interesting that all of the contenders announced to date all hail from English speaking countries.  This despite the attempts being followed by non-English speaking cyclists (presumably even more niche than in the UK though).

Different countries have different cycling cultures.  The UK has a strong history of time trialists, whereas the continent was the place where road racers always came from (till recently).

Both Oz and the UK contested this record back in the day.  Maybe our progenitors handed something down in the genes, or maybe it's something in the water.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #10 on: 29 October, 2015, 03:11:51 pm »
best of luck to Bruce! looks like he will be using sensible gear that will make munching miles a tad easier

« Reply #11 on: 29 October, 2015, 04:38:48 pm »
I'm happy to see he knows the importance of coordinated socks.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #12 on: 29 October, 2015, 05:14:11 pm »
Crikey. This is becoming almost as popular as the Hour Record.

It's really just 8,760 of them, one after the other.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #13 on: 29 October, 2015, 05:38:53 pm »
It looks like Strava want to keep their hamster wheel occupied.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #14 on: 29 October, 2015, 05:44:07 pm »
Best of luck to him!  Anybody here ridden with him?
Getting there...

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #15 on: 30 October, 2015, 09:12:11 am »
With Teethginders continuation into 2016, the lady record challenge and now Bruce, the appendix to the year record book might have to wait.

« Reply #16 on: 30 October, 2015, 01:02:10 pm »
With Teethginders continuation into 2016, the lady record challenge and now Bruce, the appendix to the year record book might have to wait.

You know those crofter stews that have been continuously added to over many years .....

« Reply #17 on: 30 October, 2015, 03:39:57 pm »
Now this is exciting!  ;D

Best of luck Bruce!  :thumbsup:
Does not play well with others

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #18 on: 31 October, 2015, 06:44:41 am »
Strange how TG's record could sit uncontested for so long, yet now it seems to be as popular as it was in the 1930s
Whether or not he eventually goes on to break the record (and I sincerely hope he does) it's Steve Abraham who can take the credit for that.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #19 on: 31 October, 2015, 08:16:08 am »
Whether or not he eventually goes on to break the record (and I sincerely hope he does) it's Steve Abraham who can take the credit for that.

Indeedy!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #20 on: 06 November, 2015, 09:51:14 am »
from his Strava ride yesterday

Another ride = another bloody bike wash! 4 weeks and it'll be dry roads again ;-

to which someone in NSW wrote during with rain here brucey

which would suggest he's off to Aus

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #21 on: 30 November, 2015, 03:53:13 pm »
I remember much if not all of his biggest month was done back in Oz.  I wonder if he will be spending some time over there in (our) winter etc. 

According to the press release I received from Canyon today, he'll be starting the year in Australia then coming back to the UK in April.

He's aiming for an average riding speed of 29kmh and the bikes he'll be riding are the Canyon Ultimate CF SLX and Aeroad CF SLX. It's clear that Canyon are right behind him and will be giving him plenty of support - good marketing exercise for them, good backup for him. Looks like he will be a serious contender.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #22 on: 30 November, 2015, 04:03:56 pm »
if he's coming to uk in april it would be good to ride along every now and then, especially if he spends some time in his favourite richmond park.

« Reply #23 on: 30 November, 2015, 04:13:31 pm »
He certainly seems to be well plugged into social media - should be fun to watch.  Anyone know the age bracket he'll be riding in?

hillbilly

« Reply #24 on: 30 November, 2015, 05:26:34 pm »
Cycling in perpetual summer is a very smart strategy, even though the transitions will presumably lose him a week or so of riding (given he will not just have to fly half way around the world, twice, but also adapt to a new time zone).