Author Topic: PBP Registration website  (Read 87066 times)

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
Re: PBP Registration website
« Reply #275 on: 31 January, 2019, 07:55:54 am »
It's a classic case of 'It's not the despair, it's the hope'. Especially as keeping the hope alive means planning to do a 200 in Feb/March without any certainty of getting a place. I can see why people get 'petty'.

I know someone in that position who rode the Yorkshire Grit (through gritted teeth), to get his qualifier in early. He's not petty, but I don't think he's going to be happy - he was working in the assumption that everyone always gets a place on PBP.

I like the way Danial is organising LEL entries, but I would because I'll get a place on that. I like the assurance for committed long distance riders combined with the chance for those caught up in a moment of inspiration and aspiration.

I've just entered my first CTT event, but I'm aware I may be refunded my entry fee (and not get a place) if it is oversubscribed. Faster riders than me will get preference and I don't even have a time to calculate my handicap on. As a wannabe / hopeful / aspirational participant, I can either hope that the event I've entered is not popular (but I hope it is popular) or hope that there is some obscure event entry rule that allows me a chance to play.

Back to PBP entry... I want to ride one day. I'm expecting 1000km+ BRMs to be sold out early in 2022.

« Reply #276 on: 31 January, 2019, 08:37:03 am »
From my own experiences of reading stuff online and the people I have spoken to on rides, the overriding message has always been, ride the longest distance you can in 2018.

Not to belittle anyone who has completed a 200km, but they are by far the "easiest" distance to achieve; especially in good weather and 300km ain't so bad on long warm Summer's day.

400km is a different beast altogether and I can see why it would be the minimum recommendation.

At the end of the day it's all about numbers, as audax and long distance cycling gains in popularity it's only going to get harder to qualify.  Only today - tickets for a local Sportive in the Yorkshire and Humber region came on sale, 320km/200 miles.  If Sportive organisers think there is an appetite for longer distances (and money to be made) this will only become the new "norm".
Frequent Audax and bike ride videos:

https://www.youtube.com/user/djrikki2008/videos

« Reply #277 on: 31 January, 2019, 11:05:12 am »

Ivo shared the total 2018 numbers a fortnight ago and I've added the pre-registrant figures.
ACP stats:
2018 homologations [and pre-registrants]
1000km   2431  [~1960]
600km    10569  [~2300]
400km    13067
300km    20333
200km  60599
Note 30% more 400s than 600s homolgated in 2018, although the number of 'multiple 400s' and the number who then went on to complete a longer BRM is unknown. I surmise that, in accordance with the ACP/PBP recommendation to ride at least a 400, there'll be a lot of French riders with itchy fingers at 2300 GMT on 10 Feb. PBP judge that there'll be 30% of the places left by then and that, after the 400s have pre-registered 9% will be left for the faster (on the keyboard) 300s. I think they are hanging 9% out there to give the 300s hope.

« Reply #278 on: 31 January, 2019, 11:16:27 am »
Ajax Bay, I think the extremely good weather throughout 2018 probably contributed to the number of people being able to ride longer rides.  We were truly blessed last year.
Frequent Audax and bike ride videos:

https://www.youtube.com/user/djrikki2008/videos

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #279 on: 31 January, 2019, 11:42:37 am »
... there'll be a lot of French riders with itchy fingers at 2300 GMT on 10 Feb. ...

I doubt if the French recognise GMT as a thing.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

whosatthewheel

« Reply #280 on: 31 January, 2019, 12:09:12 pm »
Ajax Bay, I think the extremely good weather throughout 2018 probably contributed to the number of people being able to ride longer rides.  We were truly blessed last year.

Summer tends to be consistently nice elsewhere in the world... it's just here in the Uk which is a bit of an oddity

Phil W

« Reply #281 on: 31 January, 2019, 12:27:45 pm »
Personally I found the heatwave last season too hot for myself.   I did a 200 in June that took 3 hours longer than it did in May, purely because the heat was draining me.    I switched to doing my DIYs overnight, so 8pm start, back by morning, few hours sleep and in to rest of day.  I did six rides starting 8pm last year and it worked well for me. Also, you also cannot describe October to April in the last season as good weather.  We had plenty of cold wet or icy weeks / weekends.

I suspect if this year's PBP is really hot during day then I will aim to shift my sleeping to mid afternoon and be on the move through the night.  This is similar to what I did in the first couple of days of PBP 2015 before it cooled down.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #282 on: 31 January, 2019, 12:31:00 pm »
Warm nights is the big positive (at least on Northern Europe rides of 600km+).  I don't do heat well either, but I'm happy to accept a few cat-naps in the afternoon shade if it means I can ride thru any part of the night without suffering freezing rain etc.

Swings and roundabouts!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

simonp

« Reply #283 on: 31 January, 2019, 12:31:55 pm »
I found the hot weather problematic at rowing events. Only rode one Audax, a 400k.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #284 on: 31 January, 2019, 12:57:31 pm »
I found the hot weather problematic at rowing events. Only rode one Audax, a 400k.

I like the way this sounds when read out loud.

SPB

« Reply #285 on: 31 January, 2019, 01:01:37 pm »

They call it UTC.  It's exactly the same thing though.

SPB

« Reply #286 on: 31 January, 2019, 01:02:27 pm »
Something else I read on their facebook page that may be of interest: a post by PBP saying that they don't expect many places to be released later when pre-qualified entrants fail to convert to full registrations.  They're not saying some people won't fail to convert, but that they've allowed for it by allowing more pre-registrations than they want people on the ride.

Really can't fault ACP for the way they've organised all this.  As others have said in here, they forecast that we'd all need at least a 400, and they were right.  We can't say they didn't warn us.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #287 on: 31 January, 2019, 01:03:10 pm »

Yes and no, on the continent many people found it just too hot and people who would normally have no issues with their 1000, scratched due to the heat. This applies to at least one rider in this thread.

It would be really interesting to see a breakdown of 1000+ and 600+ applicants, by country.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #288 on: 31 January, 2019, 01:04:42 pm »

UTC and GMT are not exactly the same thing. Whilst they can be treated as such for most every day uses, the way they handle leap seconds can mean that for precise timing, you can't consider them the same.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #289 on: 31 January, 2019, 01:23:23 pm »

Must have been wet.  ;)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #290 on: 31 January, 2019, 01:36:14 pm »
... there'll be a lot of French riders with itchy fingers at 2300 GMT on 10 Feb. ...

Solar Paris time should be within 10 minutes of London time IIRC, but no they had to be different and put themselves out by a whole hour! (and the Spanish even more)

SPB

« Reply #291 on: 31 January, 2019, 01:38:19 pm »

UTC and GMT are not exactly the same thing. Whilst they can be treated as such for most every day uses, the way they handle leap seconds can mean that for precise timing, you can't consider them the same.

J

:)  I can't argue with that!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #292 on: 31 January, 2019, 02:46:43 pm »

J

just watch me!  ;D
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Phil W

« Reply #293 on: 31 January, 2019, 02:57:44 pm »

Yes I am impressed Simon managed to row a 400km Audax.  That would come under velo speciales

« Reply #294 on: 31 January, 2019, 02:59:28 pm »
Solar Paris time should be within 10 minutes of London time IIRC, but no they had to be different and put themselves out by a whole hour! (and the Spanish even more)
Well we "put ourselves out by an hour" in the summer. Bitd we had the excellent BST (S = "Standard") trial (and 'summer time' and double summer time' during the war). Imo, the UK would, as a whole, be better off on BST in winter (A), and go forward an hour in March (to B). We would then be in the same time zone as all our close neighbours.

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #295 on: 31 January, 2019, 03:02:15 pm »
Yes I am impressed Simon managed to row a 400km Audax.  That would come under velo speciales

No need — ISTR classic "audax" covers many disciplines, including rowing/canoeing, and walking too.  I would've thought it would still be mandatory route, though ...
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

Phil W

« Reply #296 on: 31 January, 2019, 03:06:12 pm »

J

Those plucky Brits will be complaining when they cannot pre register 27 seconds ahead of everyone else, damn those Internet time clocks.

« Reply #297 on: 31 January, 2019, 03:26:44 pm »

J

Those plucky Brits will be complaining when they cannot pre register 27 seconds ahead of everyone else, damn those Internet time clocks.

That's TAI (International Atomic Time) not GMT.

GMT and UTC will only ever differ by a maximum of 0.9 seconds, but that's enough to throw lots of computery things up the spout.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #298 on: 31 January, 2019, 03:29:35 pm »
Regarding temperatures on PBP. I remember one day in 2015 whilst on the return leg, I came up behind a rider on a mountain bike heading same way as me and what struck me the most was, they was in a puffer jacket, neck warmer around their face, trainers and a very large sports bag thrown over there shoulder and round there back . At first, I thought it was the paper lad but as I passed, I saw he had PBP frame number on his bike and he was Japanese. The temperature was around 26C and I was cooking myself in the heat. If he was feeling the cold, it must have been hell for him on a night unless he had a great parka and thermals in his bag. Needless to say, I saw him a few times over a couple of days and was glad to see that he actually finished as he walked up the ramp into the velodrome as I was having something to eat.

Also received a validation email today to confirm my pre-registration is confirmed.

Phil W

« Reply #299 on: 31 January, 2019, 03:49:03 pm »
Yep sure it will be the same again. Far East riders dressed to the nines with balaclavas, full finger gloves, insulated jackets, warm leggings. Meanwhile Northern Europeans riding in shorts and tshirts and still too hot!