Author Topic: The FIFA row...  (Read 28311 times)

The FIFA row...
« on: 13 November, 2014, 10:57:40 pm »
Interesting day for WC football, & 'Fifa World Cup report pointless and a joke - FA boss Greg Dyke'...  http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30044791

Clearly England can next expect to host the World Cup at some point after 2326. 

I still find it difficult to believe how Qatar, a small nation, with no real football history or infrastructure, and summer temperatures of +50C managed to pull it off for 2018.

What next I wonder?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Re: The FIFA row...
« Reply #1 on: 13 November, 2014, 11:44:28 pm »
I still find it difficult to believe how Qatar, a small nation, with no real football history or infrastructure, and summer temperatures of +50C managed to pull it off for 2018.

Nah, its obvious isnt it ?  No surprise whatsoever that the only criticism from FIFA was towards English FA.  I'm almost surprised they didnt ban them !
I dont believe Russia was a fair vote either, and though I think the English FA must now regret trying to win it, thats with the benefit of hindsight.

The parallels to the UCI in Pat McQuaid & Lance Armstrongs day are there to be seen. I think it'll take something similar (have heard the FBI may investigate them) to have any effect here.  I really hope they do. The money is so great in football, nothing will change until FIFAs top level are all turfed out.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 14 November, 2014, 10:34:57 am »
Well, it was obvious we would never win the vote to host the World Cup - we had no envelopes left after the Olympics!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #3 on: 14 November, 2014, 01:30:30 pm »

What?  It's hot in the middle east?  Who knew?

In all seriousness the fact that it's way too hot in the middle east in summer seems to have come as a total surprise to the FIFA selection committee (Despite every single other member of the human race fully understanding that).

I fully expect St Petersburg to host the 2022 World Cup, in February.

FIFA is secretive and, most likely, still corrupt.  Certainly some of their members have been proved to be corrupt.
Their president, Blatter, makes Jim Davidson look like Gandhi and yet seems to decide himself when he will or won't quit the job.

If large amounts of money didn't change hands to secure the Qatar choice then it bloody well should have done, because it's an idiotic choice.  If it was a free choice, without any form of bribery, then FIFA is clearly run by idiots.  We don't need a 2 year (secret) report to tell us that.

Oh yes, the answer, Money of course.

The answer to most "What the F***?" questions about football is "Money of course".
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #4 on: 14 November, 2014, 05:35:08 pm »
Breaking mews: investigator says black is black, as against Blatter's claim it is actually white.
Bribed people deny being bribed.
Russia and Qatar deny being corrupt.
Pope...
Bears...

To modify sg37409's post slightly
"The money is so great in football, nothing will change until FIFAs top level are all turfed out" and a new lot bought in.

No, that's not a typo.

Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #5 on: 14 November, 2014, 08:03:16 pm »
http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/nov/05/chuck-blazer-fifa-fbi
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/nov/03/chuck-blazer-fifa-fbi-bugging-world-cup-bidding-investigation

I know the Graun has had it in for FIFA for sometime, but these two are quite interesting. And of course the Yanks don't care about football in the way that a lot of the rest of the world does.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #6 on: 16 November, 2014, 11:59:17 am »
Well well, UEFA are considering quitting FIFA if the report is not published in its entirety !
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #7 on: 17 November, 2014, 01:21:05 pm »
I've always thought that FIFA was a prime candidate for the ripping it up and start again from scratch approach to reform.

Not sure that UEFA are the people to do it though.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #8 on: 17 November, 2014, 01:41:24 pm »
Not sure that UEFA are the people to do it though.

...but UEFA are the ones with the money.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #9 on: 20 November, 2014, 01:13:47 pm »
Getting a little more interesting now with Phaerda Al Majid's revelations threatening to undermine the report still further, and mentioning she was coerced into changing her statement.  None of this is in the least surprising, and it seems only a matter of time before the WC is pulled from Qatar.

In the meantime we can enjoy watching Fifa and Qatar trying to ignore the rest of the planet and maintain this farce.  I expect russia will keep very quiet during this phase.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #10 on: 20 November, 2014, 01:22:02 pm »
Russia (UEFA sponsor via Gazprom) is busy 'discussing' the future of football in occupied Crimea.  I wonder how that will work out.  ::-)
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #11 on: 20 November, 2014, 01:48:05 pm »
Getting a little more interesting now with Phaerda Al Majid's revelations threatening to undermine the report still further, and mentioning she was coerced into changing her statement.  None of this is in the least surprising, and it seems only a matter of time before the WC is pulled from Qatar.

In the meantime we can enjoy watching Fifa and Qatar trying to ignore the rest of the planet and maintain this farce.  I expect russia will keep very quiet during this phase.

Well, the Russians' computers have very conveniently gone missing. You can say this for FIFA though - they make Bernie Eccle$$$tone look like the very model of rectitude.  :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Andrew

« Reply #12 on: 20 November, 2014, 01:55:00 pm »
they make Bernie Eccle$$$tone look like the very model of rectitude.  :demon:

I'm quite sure McQuaid/UCI similarities have been made.

It really does seem that FIFA/Blatter have fingers in the ears, la-la-la-ing and hoping the storm blows over. I'd like to think they're going to get found out, at long last, but I fear there are many interested parties protecting their interests.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #13 on: 20 November, 2014, 04:00:10 pm »
Russia (UEFA sponsor via Gazprom) is busy 'discussing' the future of football in occupied Crimea.  I wonder how that will work out.  ::-)

It goes without saying that it's all the fault of the EU.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #14 on: 20 November, 2014, 06:36:20 pm »
Nothing will happen.
Sorry to disappoint.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #15 on: 16 December, 2014, 04:54:00 pm »
Nothing will happen.
Sorry to disappoint.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/30491135
In spite of this I beleive it will all collapse for Fifa. This just is more evidence of them painting themselves into a corner.
Their standing is well below that of laughing stock.

UEFA, where most of the wealth is in football dont want a winter world cup in qatar, and seem to be ready to take on Fifa over this.
In a fight between UEFA and Fifa, Uefa could easily go it alone.  Its a slow burner this story. We can enjoy watching it collapse piece by piece.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #16 on: 17 December, 2014, 10:42:16 am »
(Gets popcorn)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #17 on: 17 December, 2014, 05:02:50 pm »
Perhaps unsurprisingly, Michael Garcia has resigned: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30522170

Though that annoying buzzing or ringing in your ears probably isn't tinnitus, it's just the sound of Sepp Blatter not caring.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #18 on: 19 December, 2014, 01:13:51 pm »
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/30546139

Well this should answer all the critics and put to rest all the questions and allegations directed at Fifa.....     ;D

« Reply #19 on: 19 December, 2014, 01:17:42 pm »
Quote from: Aunty Beeb
Releasing the full report - which is likely be heavily redacted to preserve witness confidentiality - is a change in Fifa policy.

However, it will only be released once ongoing investigations into five individuals are completed.

I guess "legally appropriate" becomes the new euphemism for "more blacking out than text", then. :demon:

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #20 on: 19 December, 2014, 03:54:51 pm »
Quote from: Aunty Beeb
Releasing the full report - which is likely be heavily redacted to preserve witness confidentiality - is a change in Fifa policy.

However, it will only be released once ongoing investigations into five individuals are completed.

I guess "legally appropriate" becomes the new euphemism for "more blacking out than text", then. :demon:

I'll be most interested to hear Garcia's views on the "legally appropriate" version of his report.

We can safely assume that most of the blacked-out bits will be obscuring the oft-repeated phrase "..and hence I determined Sepp Baltter is a c***"

« Reply #21 on: 27 May, 2015, 08:40:46 am »
Nothing will happen.
Sorry to disappoint.

In spite of this I beleive it will all collapse for Fifa. This just is more evidence of them painting themselves into a corner.

UEFA, where most of the wealth is in football dont want a winter world cup in qatar, and seem to be ready to take on Fifa over this.
In a fight between UEFA and Fifa, Uefa could easily go it alone.  Its a slow burner this story. We can enjoy watching it collapse piece by piece.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-32895048
 ;D

Once again, a USA led fight into corruption in a global (non-USA mainstream) sport.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #22 on: 27 May, 2015, 08:48:47 am »
Nothing will happen.
Sorry to disappoint.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-32895048
 ;D

Once again, a USA led fight into corruption in a global (non-USA mainstream) sport.

I'm amazed that there may be corruption inside FIFA ....

(click to show/hide)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #23 on: 27 May, 2015, 09:49:40 am »
The Swiss are now launching their own investigation into the process of awarding the 2018 and 2022 World Cups. Will they be as rigorous as the USA though? Seeing as they might have an interest in keeping FIFA happy in Zurich.

I'm not sure what to make of the fact that one of the arrested officials was led away with his possessions in plastic bags. Drug charges too?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #24 on: 27 May, 2015, 10:18:34 am »
This is really delightful: all the hallmarks of an FBI anti-Mafia op.

"But it reached a turning point when one of Fifa's most senior US representatives in the past decade, Chuck Blazer, started working with the authorities and allegedly took part in undercover work, the paper adds."

"Don Blatterone".

(Missus: "FIFA?  Do they run Formula One?")
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight