Author Topic: Leicester City  (Read 23355 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Leicester City
« Reply #175 on: 15 May, 2016, 10:20:26 pm »
I thought the BBC had doned a mispring with the league table but Stoke really did finish in the top half of the table with a goal difference of -14 :o
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #176 on: 16 May, 2016, 01:11:32 am »
Still, hang on to the fact that FG have NEVER been relegated.  We've managed it twice in seven years and it was very nearly twice in six!

« Reply #177 on: 16 May, 2016, 08:14:57 am »
Well the season is over and after all the predictions of a Leicester collapse it didn't happen but Spurs did collapse. 5-1 thrashing by a Newcastle team that couldn't win all season in the last match !
I hope next season is as exciting but I doubt it will be.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Andrew

« Reply #178 on: 16 May, 2016, 10:33:04 am »
Spurs completely collapsed. It began against the Baggies and it was downhill thereafter.

Panchosanza (whatever) must ask himself what happened and was he responsible somehow because Spurs had been playing well up until then. To fall away quite so profoundly begs a question or two.

One thing that Leicester have done all season is come back when it wasn't going their way. In fact, it's been a hallmark of their season. They have never doubted themselves and Ranieri has always been able to maintain their self belief.

Andrew

« Reply #179 on: 18 May, 2016, 11:55:07 am »
Not a dry eye in the house (well, there was only me watching) as I watched Lineker's BBC program.

I hadn't realised just how emotional I can get. It's only sodding football but I was blubbing quite pathetically.  :-[

Seriously, it IS quite an incredible thing that Leicester City did (in a context a little broader than "only football" too)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #180 on: 18 May, 2016, 12:25:54 pm »
Can I at this point lambast square-headed jeans model and part-time cycling helmet apologist David Coulthard for saying Max Verstappen's win in the Spanish Grand Prix was even more of a fairy story than Leicester winning the Premiership?

No, DC, you great sillybollocks.  No, it wasn't.  Quality, albeit youthful, driver in better-than-average car wins race, on circuit where overtaking is difficult, after runaway favourites take each other out of contention.  It's not as if the Premier League's Usual Suspects all had their own equivalent of Munich '58 after two games, is it?

« Reply #181 on: 18 May, 2016, 12:31:57 pm »
The F1 equivalent would be if one of the F1 also ran driver like  Romain Grosjean won the drivers championship in a no hope car like a Manor.
No big money (relatively) and coming on top over a whole season was the magic of Leicester not a single win.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #182 on: 18 May, 2016, 01:12:32 pm »
Or James Hunt winning at Zandvoort in a Hesketh, before going on to win the championship in a McClaren.
https://www.formula1.com/content/fom-website/en/latest/features/2015/6/when-the-playboys-beat-the-big-boys---remembering-heskeths-amazi.html

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #183 on: 18 May, 2016, 02:43:43 pm »
Can I at this point lambast square-headed jeans model and part-time cycling helmet apologist David Coulthard for saying Max Verstappen's win in the Spanish Grand Prix was even more of a fairy story than Leicester winning the Premiership?

No, DC, you great sillybollocks.  No, it wasn't.  Quality, albeit youthful, driver in better-than-average car wins race, on circuit where overtaking is difficult, after runaway favourites take each other out of contention.  It's not as if the Premier League's Usual Suspects all had their own equivalent of Munich '58 after two games, is it?

The equivalent is Leicester beating Manchester City... which they did of course.

The odds on Leicester City winning the Premiership are roughly the same as a Formula 1 driver admitting he fucked up and caused a crash.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #184 on: 25 May, 2016, 08:10:21 am »
Somehow, Oxford United have persuaded Leicester to send a full team to Oxford for a friendly on the 19th July.  You may remember that Oxford decisively beat Swansea in the FA Cup back in January...
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Andrew

« Reply #185 on: 25 May, 2016, 08:20:24 am »
Leicester warming up for the 'International Make Money for Some American Businessman' Cup?

I'd prefer Nuneaton on a Tuesday evening. Well, maybe not but you get my drift.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #186 on: 08 December, 2016, 05:02:56 pm »
I really did not expect them to top their group in the Champo League UCL.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #187 on: 10 December, 2016, 07:36:10 pm »
How very amusing! Leicester beat Man City 4 - 2 despite City having 77% of the possession!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #188 on: 10 December, 2016, 10:09:28 pm »
How very amusing! Leicester beat Man City 4 - 2 despite City having 77% of the possession!

Just goes to show that the only statistic that is worth anything is the final score.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #189 on: 11 December, 2016, 08:30:34 am »

Just goes to show that the only statistic that is worth anything is the final score.
In fact, I think that's the rules, innit? The team with the better final score wins?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #190 on: 13 February, 2017, 12:01:23 pm »
How do you find the stress levels this season Andrew ?

I am confident the team will galvanize and finish in safety, albeit in the bottom third.

« Reply #191 on: 22 February, 2017, 11:19:39 am »
Well everyone said they couldn't keep it up but and sure enough, here we are in February and they are still atnear the top bottom of the Premiership.

Oh dear!

4 March, a double pointer..
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #192 on: 23 February, 2017, 08:34:34 pm »
It's just been on the radio: they've sacked Ranieri.

« Reply #193 on: 23 February, 2017, 08:38:24 pm »
So much for the the 'vote of confidence' from the board. ::-)

« Reply #194 on: 23 February, 2017, 08:43:11 pm »
Poor show.
Rust never sleeps

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #195 on: 23 February, 2017, 09:06:26 pm »
The vote of confidence is just a euphemism for 'you'd better update your CV'.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #196 on: 23 February, 2017, 10:03:29 pm »
Yes, it's code VC is the reverse of CV.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #197 on: 24 February, 2017, 04:40:21 pm »

What were they confident of?

Confident he'd be gone soon?

It's a strange one. I mean Leicester were fundamentally shit 2 years ago, precisely as shit as they are now in fact. 
Between two periods of being shit they somehow won the Premiership title. 

Ranieri CLEARLY made an error of judgement by staying.  The very best he could have hoped for was an average season.

If he'd retired last summer they would be installing a bronze statue of him now.

Arsene Wenger, are you watching?  Sometimes a good manager has the luxury to choose their moment, they can leave as a hero or a villain.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #198 on: 24 February, 2017, 07:29:32 pm »
People have been writing off The Arse for years now but he still manages to stick around not seeing ze incident.

« Reply #199 on: 16 March, 2017, 08:36:28 am »
And now, the quarter finals of the CL, and the only british club left in the tournament.
Wow !