Author Topic: The Rio Olympics.  (Read 41469 times)

Re: The Rio Olympics.
« Reply #25 on: 08 August, 2016, 01:17:27 pm »
A French judo player (or whatever one does at judo)

A practitioner of Judo is called a Judoka apparently

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judo#Judoka_.28practitioner.29
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #26 on: 08 August, 2016, 02:58:22 pm »
Michael Phelps just won his 19th (NINETEENTH) Olympic Gold Medal (23 medals in all).

I don't want to jump to any conclusions but I reckon he's, potentially, a good swimmer.

I would suggest that he has little potential left!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #27 on: 08 August, 2016, 03:18:25 pm »
Talking of strange rules:
I did try to get into the fencing. but apparently you don't score anything for sticking your sword in your opponent's torso if they have
Right of Way.

I'm sure it makes sense if you follow these things ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #28 on: 08 August, 2016, 03:23:00 pm »
My understanding was that you could get a point assuming they missed on their right of way and you managed a hit but if you both hit then the hitter with right of way got the point.

Exactly what 'right of way' meant didn't appear to be clearly explained last night.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

simonp

« Reply #29 on: 08 August, 2016, 03:48:43 pm »
Having read the Wikipedia page on it, I'm not surprised it wasn't clearly explained as it's non-trivial.

Andrew

« Reply #30 on: 08 August, 2016, 04:11:59 pm »
I saw a bit of table tennis yesterday; a French women against a Puerto Rican women. The Puerto Rican looked about 12, really cherubic. The French women was all power and spin, really giving the ball wellie. The Puerto Rican would just plink the return back... over and over again; smash/spin, plink, smash/spin, plink.... she was playing as if she was down at the youth club playing with her mates. She was getting a hammering but she was just so refreshing to watch. I really really wanted her to win  :-[

Edit: I've just looked up the result. She got beaten 4-0 in 40 minutes, scoring a total of 23 points and only 1 point in the first match. Adriana Diaz is her name, she's 15.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #31 on: 08 August, 2016, 05:10:22 pm »
I did try to get into the fencing. but apparently you don't score anything for sticking your sword in your opponent's torso if they have
Right of Way.

Did these same rules apply in battle?

I'd be more interested if they used proper, double-handed, swords.  Come to think of it it could improve some of the Horsey events.

Proper Fencing... Vulcan Style!

(Sings - "Dah Dah Dah Dah Dah Daddadahhdah"
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Andrew

« Reply #32 on: 08 August, 2016, 05:39:27 pm »
James T Kirk in peek-a-boo nipple shock.

« Reply #33 on: 08 August, 2016, 06:11:32 pm »
James T Kirk in peek-a-boo nipple shock.

Yeah it was his right of way so he has the points.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #34 on: 08 August, 2016, 06:51:47 pm »
I tweeted BBC Sport to ask them to do more underwater shots in the swimming so I can see what the arms are doing and they said they'd pass it on. I think they've taken notice; they're definitely showing more of the underwater. Some of those swimmers have quite asymmetrical arm movements.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #35 on: 08 August, 2016, 06:56:27 pm »
That Peat guy swims about 4 times as fast as I do. When I try hard I can do a 25 metre length in under a minute. I don't think I can keep that speed up or 4 lengths though.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #36 on: 08 August, 2016, 07:18:57 pm »
Meanwhile BRITAIN are having any chance of a medal in the women's Rugby destroyed by New Toyland chiz.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #37 on: 08 August, 2016, 07:31:44 pm »
Meanwhile BRITAIN are having any chance of a medal in the women's Rugby destroyed by New Toyland chiz.

BRITAIN can still get bronze if they beat Canuckistan again.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/37016272
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Andrew

« Reply #38 on: 08 August, 2016, 07:36:52 pm »
From the above link....

The Black Ferns regained the advantage through Ruby Tui, 

It was obviously her day.

Sod my coat, I'll just leave.

« Reply #39 on: 08 August, 2016, 07:54:42 pm »
We're struggling to watch much, none of the red button channels seems to have a decent signal strength in our area  :-\
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #40 on: 08 August, 2016, 08:42:39 pm »
Right of Way.

That's foil and sabre. With Epee, it's just who hits first.

The idea with foil and sabre is that you wouldn't persist with an attack if in doing so meant you would get hit (if the blades were pointed and sharpened). So you have to 'defend' then attack. The defense can take the form of a simple parry, a more complex parry feint, simply moving out of line etc etc.
It gets complicated and down to a judge when someone feints, you move to defend, then they attack. Your defense is actually to the feint, and not to the attack. However these things happen so fast it is almost impossible to see without superslo-mo. Takes very experienced judges to understand what is going on.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #41 on: 08 August, 2016, 09:26:47 pm »
Tom Daley and someone Goodfellow just got bronze in the men's 10m platform synchro diving.

I love watching diving. The synchro is mesmerising. One of the best things bobb and I ever did was spend a weekend watching the FINA world series at the Commie Pool. The Chinese divers are phenomenal.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #42 on: 08 August, 2016, 11:04:16 pm »
That Peat guy swims about 4 times as fast as I do. When I try hard I can do a 25 metre length in under a minute. I don't think I can keep that speed up or 4 lengths though.

I've always struggled to understand why there are different events for different swimming strokes. 

Walking is another one that baffles me.  Walking is the Breaststroke of the Running world.

If swimming has "Butterfly" and "Backstroke" then Athletics should have Hopping and Skipping (simply add jumping for a silly "Triple-Jump" event).
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

simonp

« Reply #43 on: 08 August, 2016, 11:19:17 pm »
They have such an event. They call it "freestyle".

« Reply #44 on: 09 August, 2016, 08:29:19 am »
They have such an event. They call it "freestyle".
Is there an equivalent of HPVA of the swimming world, where people can where whatever flippers or fins they like and see how fast they can go?

I'd watch that.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Andrew

« Reply #45 on: 09 August, 2016, 09:51:10 am »
Someone once told me (so it must be true) that in a freestyle event swimmers can use whatever stroke they like (as the name suggests)... within reason I guess, no snorkels and flippers (sorry simonp)... nor heat stroke, or two stroke, or Basingstroke (ok, I'm reaching now)...

..anyways, as people are inclined to use  'front crawl' (is there a back crawl?) as it is generally the fastest stroke, the 'freestyle' name has become synonymous with it. Apparently, strictly speaking, one can use butterfly (or back stroke, or perhaps even doggie paddle) in a freestyle event. You probably wouldn't win though.  There's hope for me then. I'd give the 100 metre dog paddle a go.

Oh, and Wiki confirms so it really IS true.

« Reply #46 on: 09 August, 2016, 10:12:30 am »
Yes, I think freestyle is anything.  Years ago when triathlons were new, I was waiting to start the swimming, which was in the leisure centre pool, so we were doing lengths.  A chap strutted round us asking which stroke we were using.  When I said "breaststroke", he snorted and said, "keep out of my way, then!"  I wasn't first out of the pool but I lapped him twice.  I can do crawl but I'm just not very good at it.  Those were the days.

« Reply #47 on: 09 August, 2016, 10:19:40 am »
I'm just as fast doing sidestroke as I am doing crawl - and I can do sidestroke as quick as many people can crawl. I think the only time I tried doing butterfly I actually went backwards.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #48 on: 09 August, 2016, 10:24:59 am »
(is there a back crawl?)

Conventional backstroke is sometimes known as "back crawl" as there exists a backstroke which combines the both-arms-together nonse of butterfly with the frog-stylee leg action of breaststroke, laeding to spectacular inefficiency, lots of splashing and water up the nose.  As a small Mr Larrington I was sometimes obliged to perform this monstrosity - which apparently goes by the name of "Old English backstroke" - by sadistic PE teachers.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #49 on: 09 August, 2016, 10:29:59 am »
If you get it right, it's pretty good!