Author Topic: Two very small holes in the tent flysheet  (Read 2114 times)

Two very small holes in the tent flysheet
« on: 11 July, 2015, 10:21:04 pm »
Whilst on our tour a bird landed on the tent.   We noticed later two small holes in the flysheet.   I'd like to repair it.

I know of McNett Tenacious tape and seam sealant but also I have spare material in the form of the bag that the groundsheet came in.  If I was to use this to make patches, can anybody recommend an adhesive please?

Re: Two very small holes in the tent flysheet
« Reply #1 on: 16 July, 2015, 07:40:08 am »
So, I called into Blacks whilst in Coventry yesterday and found the last tube of McNett Tenacious tape and the last tube of McNett Seam Grip.   

Having read both sets of instructions I have come to the conclusion that I can try the seam grip repair first.   If that fails then I can apply some Tenacious tape.

I have had a bit of an idea and intend to give it a try when I eventually get a fairy visitation:  I am going to cut a bit of Tenacious tape and use it as a repair patch.   If it works I'll switch as it will work out at a significantly cheaper alternative than Park tube repair patches.  The test may fail but hey, nothing ventured...

« Reply #2 on: 16 July, 2015, 08:32:04 am »

I have had a bit of an idea and intend to give it a try when I eventually get a fairy visitation:  I am going to cut a bit of Tenacious tape and use it as a repair patch.   If it works I'll switch as it will work out at a significantly cheaper alternative than Park tube repair patches.  The test may fail but hey, nothing ventured...

OT for this thread, but for real economy why not just use a bit of an old tube as a patch? It may not have the thin-ness nor the feather edge, but for non-racing tyres I'm not sure it would make a lot of difference. I stand to be corrected, naturally  :)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #3 on: 18 July, 2015, 04:34:06 pm »
Because the old tube would surely require an adhesive which would need to dry whereas the Tenacious Tape (or the Park patches for that matter) is self adhesive so it's stick and go. 

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #4 on: 18 July, 2015, 08:30:40 pm »
We had two very little holes like that. Looked more like burn from a nearby fire than birds.

I used the patches from our exped sleeping beds and it worked very well.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #5 on: 18 July, 2015, 10:40:16 pm »
Definitely not a fire related incident unless somebody was flicking ciggie ash over the tent and we were unaware of it.

Did you use the exped fabric adhesive too?

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #6 on: 19 July, 2015, 01:52:01 pm »
Just asked Peli and we both can't remember, sorry. I think I did use a very tiny bit.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #7 on: 19 July, 2015, 03:24:15 pm »
No worries.

I will use Sil Net to effect the initial repair but am still considering whether I can put a small section of McNett Tenacious over the top of this.   

Some might say overkill but I see it differently as I've seen a Hilleberg tent tear into two already in my life.    If I can do something to reduce the odds a second time then I'm happy to do so.   I simply cannot afford to replace the flysheet. 

« Reply #8 on: 26 July, 2015, 06:41:42 pm »
So, armed with McNett Tenacious tape, McNett Seal Grip, McNett Sil Net, Exped fabric glue and some Hilleberg silicone coated flysheet offcuts I have been doing some tests.

McNett Tenacious tape sticks but peels off rather easily.

McNett Seam Grip just rubs off when dry.

Exped fabric glue and a Hilleberg silicone nylon patch just peels off when dry.

McNett Sil Net does the job.   A small blob spread out around the small hole and left for a few hours dries and adheres.   Flip fabric, do the same on the inside.

Repair's a good un!   :thumbsup: