Author Topic: Pannier Capacity for Light Weight Tour  (Read 1409 times)

Pannier Capacity for Light Weight Tour
« on: 16 February, 2016, 02:47:55 pm »
I'm planning to get some panniers for my projected LEJOG tour in June this year.  I've done the tour before but this will be the first time light weight camping. 

I am wondering about these front panniers that can be carried on the rear rack, as a light weight option.  What do you think?  Is 30L combined capacity too little for a 3-week tour in June?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Pannier Capacity for Light Weight Tour
« Reply #1 on: 16 February, 2016, 02:49:27 pm »
Sleeping bag in one, everything else in the other?

Chris N

« Reply #2 on: 16 February, 2016, 03:00:41 pm »
Depends how much volume your gear takes up. ;)

You should be able to pare your kit down to less than 30 litres but it really depends on how much you're willing to compromise on comfort.  I can just about squeeze a lightweight overnight kit into 20 litres if I try hard enough.  If you put the tent on top of the rack and use a bar bag then I think that 30 litre panniers will be more than enough.

« Reply #3 on: 16 February, 2016, 04:06:19 pm »
Thank you.

Yes,  I was thinking of Tent and Synmat on top of the rack, and everything else, including compact, lightweight bag or quilt in panniers, but that could go on top too.  Not planning on a bar bag, though.

I'll see how I get on on at least one spring test run, and I could always get the rears (40-42L) if necessary; I'm sure I'll use the full set one day!