Author Topic: You know you're middle aged when  (Read 186587 times)

rr

Re: You know you're middle aged when
« Reply #1100 on: 20 December, 2019, 11:00:17 pm »
How about this... Your teenage offsprung has got into rap and plays you recent stuff. Hmmm. So far so normal. So you show him where it all began, play him Grandmaster Flash, Melle Mel and so on. So far so dad. But he gets into the 80s rap and is now playing you stuff from 'your' era. Oh generation mix ups! This is his latest: https://youtu.be/phOW-CZJWT0 "The intro is a bit weird" he says.

If he starts dressing in baggy trackies and a gold chain, I might have to say it's gone too far...

you read the above and realise that you don't have teenagers any more, they're in their 20s.
well, I just feel old, not just middle aged
acid house ftw (or not)
Massive Attack and Portishead today. And I've just calculated that Dummy came out almost half my life ago. I'm not sure it feels it.
That is the joy of the modern way of playing music, they can be far more eclectic and experimental than we ever could be. Currently I am being treated to Girls aloud and grime.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1101 on: 20 December, 2019, 11:38:28 pm »
How about this... Your teenage offsprung has got into rap and plays you recent stuff. Hmmm. So far so normal. So you show him where it all began, play him Grandmaster Flash, Melle Mel and so on. So far so dad. But he gets into the 80s rap and is now playing you stuff from 'your' era. Oh generation mix ups! This is his latest: https://youtu.be/phOW-CZJWT0 "The intro is a bit weird" he says.

If he starts dressing in baggy trackies and a gold chain, I might have to say it's gone too far...

you read the above and realise that you don't have teenagers any more, they're in their 20s.
well, I just feel old, not just middle aged
acid house ftw (or not)
Massive Attack and Portishead today. And I've just calculated that Dummy came out almost half my life ago. I'm not sure it feels it.

Just dumped the soundtrack from Sicario and put Portishead on.

Thanks.

Although, I've been to Portishead, but never to Sicario.
It is simpler than it looks.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #1102 on: 21 December, 2019, 10:32:21 am »
Today I described a paper-based procedure, with lots of stapling receipts and such like, as "20th century". "Remember when that sounded modern?" came the reply.
Yes. 1978.  :)

"She's so 20th century...."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZH2fknRMLE
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1103 on: 21 December, 2019, 01:31:31 pm »
Have they borrowed their drummer from AC/DC?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1104 on: 01 January, 2020, 11:00:03 pm »
The model on the 'senior dating' ad on Facebook looks younger than me...

« Reply #1105 on: 01 January, 2020, 11:13:30 pm »
You can legitimately refer to the Prime Minister as ‘sonny’(though you prefer to refer to him as ‘twat boy’).

TheLurker

« Reply #1106 on: 06 January, 2020, 03:13:29 pm »
You use the phrase, "Gone for a Burton." in a chat window and a 40 something colleague has to look it up on everyone's favourite search engine.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1107 on: 06 January, 2020, 04:57:28 pm »
...when you can remember a time when a googling 'burton' wouldn't immediately yield a page of ads for clothing shops.

AIUI, a burton with a small B was a type of block used aboard sailing ships, and 'gone for a burton' was an excuse for an absent shipmate.  Of course, you'd only know this if you'd read your Patrick O'Brian, which would make you middle-aged, or maybe just aged.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1108 on: 06 January, 2020, 05:10:27 pm »
I read that it was because Burton-on-Trent was a big brewing centre and when WW2 pilots crashed in the North Sea or wherever, they were "in the drink". But it's the kind of phrase that people make up derivations for.

TheLurker

« Reply #1109 on: 06 January, 2020, 08:13:56 pm »
I generally go with Mr. Quinion's opinion on these matters.

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-gon1.htm

Regardless of the phrase's origin it's still a bit of a shaker when a phrase that I've known and used since I was a very small lurker is now uncommon enough that *middle aged* colleagues have to look it up.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1110 on: 07 January, 2020, 02:24:49 pm »
Someone's leaving do. You should go. But the bars in the wrong direction. You'll have to put up and take down the Brompton. It's raining. It's a bar. It's Christmas. You'll have to shout to be heard. You won't hear anything. You were only going for one. Anyway. The hoards, oh, the roiling, rampant hoards of festive Vikings.

So I 'forgot' and pointed my bike homeward.

(Got soaked and suffered an outbreak of terminal headwind as karma.)

I developed the skill of being able to fall asleep in loud discos at work "Christmas Dos".
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

orraloon

• I'm trying Ringo, I'm trying real hard
« Reply #1111 on: 07 January, 2020, 02:53:30 pm »
When you forget the first 3 of the 6 digit passcode you have been using for years, and years, to access your online banking.  Might be due to this new fangled fingerprint touch validation tech, don't log in the old school way that much any more.

The number came back... for now...

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1112 on: 07 January, 2020, 03:05:32 pm »
having been off for three weeks, I struggled to remember the PIN to my company credit card when refuelling the hire car this lunchtime
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #1113 on: 07 January, 2020, 05:35:43 pm »
you know that you are middle-aged when in a few days 'the age of a baby Yoda, I am'

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1114 on: 08 January, 2020, 10:33:22 am »
When you forget the first 3 of the 6 digit passcode you have been using for years, and years, to access your online banking.  Might be due to this new fangled fingerprint touch validation tech, don't log in the old school way that much any more.

The number came back... for now...

When you forget the cunning mnemonic you invented to remind you of your PIN but do remember the PIN itself.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #1115 on: 18 January, 2020, 01:45:41 pm »
When something as trivial as a cold knocks you onto your arse for nearly 2 weeks.  I had to get something from town yesterday. Just walking a couple of miles had me soaked in sweat.  I’ve got to go again today, so have just had a shower, that tired me sufficiently that I felt like a rest  :facepalm:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

ian

« Reply #1116 on: 19 January, 2020, 06:05:28 pm »
That's probably the flu though, not a cold. I'm still zonked over a week later (and a tiresome hypersensitive throat) and mostly doing stuff takes a lot more effort than it should. I forced myself to do sixty lengths in the pool earlier and I could have taken a nice long nap in the changing room afterwards. Must be sleeping about 9-10 hours a night too, and peculiar dreams that I mostly don't remember because I never remember my dreams but I was very concerned yesterday about the two dead bodies in our living room and the need to do something about them. This worry lasted till half-way through my shower when it occurred to me that there weren't any dead bodies in my living room.

« Reply #1117 on: 19 January, 2020, 06:40:59 pm »
 ???  I had a flu jab late last year.  Temperature has been mostly OK, no aching, just fatigue, lassitude & coughing up sufficient grot to have a special glass to spit it out into,  that only seems to be mornings though.  Appetite is mostly OK.     I'm going to have to venture out to the Co-op again,  I've run out of whisky  :(

ian

« Reply #1118 on: 19 January, 2020, 06:57:19 pm »
Flu jabs are strain-specific, they make an educated guess as to the ones in play during the season, the vaccination isn't a guarantee (and sometimes you'll still get it, but the symptoms will be lessened).

That said, there are lots of viruses and the majority aren't necessarily easily classifiable.

« Reply #1119 on: 18 April, 2020, 03:49:34 pm »
When carrying a load of shopping from M&S in a courier bag,  up the hill to the flat _hurts_.     I'm starting to contemplate a wheelie trolley  :facepalm:

Cudzoziemiec

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1121 on: 05 July, 2020, 04:14:41 pm »
A former school classmate posts photos of celebrations marking her 40th wedding anniversary...
... (in masks cos COVID, obv...)

« Reply #1122 on: 06 July, 2020, 09:36:35 pm »
So, it was a couple weeks ago, right in the middle of that shot hot spell and I was driving into town. On the pavement we four teens wearing, shall we say, skimpy summer attire. In the cycle path next to them was a bloke riding a really nice Burgundy coloured Brompton. I thought, nice bike!

Not just middle aged but ..........

« Reply #1123 on: 25 October, 2020, 10:45:39 am »
When carrying a load of shopping from M&S in a courier bag,  up the hill to the flat _hurts_.     I'm starting to contemplate a wheelie trolley  :facepalm:

It's a clumsy thing to drag around & keeps catching my right heel.  It took all the stuff from yesterdays visits to Tesco, M&S and Aldi,  but I still had to drag it up the hill.  The stair climbing bit works well though.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #1124 on: 12 January, 2021, 07:30:57 pm »
Watching something on television with my 21 yo daughter. Onto the screen comes an image of a telex machine printing an urgent missive from the colonies.

"Is that a fax machine?" asks she.

No, it's a telex (brief description of telex follows"

"Oh, I don't know what a fax machine looks like either"
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!