Author Topic: Camping in and around New Forest on Forest Holidays sites  (Read 3985 times)

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
Camping in and around New Forest on Forest Holidays sites
« on: 21 May, 2009, 10:02:09 am »
Has anybody got much experience of these sites? They seem a bit strange. Most will only accept bookings in advance for a minimum of two days but don't make any mention of casual callers. Some don't seem to have any facilities at all, and they don't seem to respond to e-mail contact. I could just phone obviously but some first hand experiences would be useful from fellow tourers. All the reviews on UK Campsites tend to be from people having 'a holiday' on the site which is a totally different thing and the problem of them being full crops up quite a lot. Hopefully we will be rolling up  on a Monday or Tuesday in mid September so I presume they would be quieter then.

TIA

Re: Camping in and around New Forest on Forest Holidays sites
« Reply #1 on: 22 May, 2009, 08:27:42 am »
I've stayed at roundhills a few time and it is very nice site, this year they have put in the 2 night booking only why I don't know, I tried phoning them a few time and e-mail but no reply, so all I can say is just turn up and see what happens

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #2 on: 22 May, 2009, 10:40:14 am »
Thanks RR, that looks like an excellent choice and puts us really close to Lymington for the ferry to the IOW the next morning.

« Reply #3 on: 22 May, 2009, 10:53:01 am »
I've stayed at roundhills a few time and it is very nice site, this year they have put in the 2 night booking only why I don't know, I tried phoning them a few time and e-mail but no reply, so all I can say is just turn up and see what happens

I stayed there last year too.  Good site.  We were there for the Mayday bank holiday, so three nights (arrived at dusk on the Friday); therefore don't know about the 2 day rule.

We've also camped at Burley YHA a few times.

« Reply #4 on: 22 May, 2009, 12:29:29 pm »
Don't know if it's a Forest Holidays site - but how about the one next to the Red Shoot Inn at Linwood.  Can't beat an onsite microbrewery IMHO

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #5 on: 22 May, 2009, 01:47:41 pm »
Did he say micro brewery.

/Scurries off to look up Linwood.

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #6 on: 28 May, 2009, 05:23:50 am »
Stayed at a few Forest Holidays sites, and they vary immensely. The Hollands Wood site, for example, has spiffing new shower blocks.
We used the Red Shoot for the Kiddies Weekend a year or two back, and it does indeed have a pub and brewery associated.
I would recommend the Royal Sovereign (IIRC) at Fritham for a beer..

« Reply #7 on: 28 May, 2009, 08:12:30 am »
Hollands Wood stretches out alongside the A337 and you can get a fair bit of traffic noise. Roundhill has been quieter in my experience. That is apart from the one time we pitched our tent near the water tower because it was relatively secluded. It had an automated system, possibly to check the level in it?, that involved the distant sound of a phone ringing in a box every half hour or so. It was only 10 or so rings, just enough to be truly annoying.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #8 on: 29 May, 2009, 08:06:39 pm »
We (the family Dan) stayed at Tom's Field last year, which was very nice. Not so big or busy that you worried about the kids wandering and no keeping you up all night being noisy types next door. I think they wanted 2 days at weekends though - helps them manage being full at a busy time I think.
I stayed at the Red Shoot many years ago, but when planning last year I thought they were a bit pricey.

« Reply #9 on: 29 May, 2009, 09:20:38 pm »
We used the Red Shoot ....it does indeed have a pub and brewery associated.
I would recommend the Royal Sovereign (IIRC) at Fritham for a beer..

The Red Shoot doesn't always brew but will have Wadworth's beers - they own it.
The Royal Oak at Fritham is a real gem - 5+ beers all being served direct from the cask. I think you can camp there too, but it would need a phone call to confirm.

Martin

« Reply #10 on: 29 May, 2009, 09:39:01 pm »
There are 3 premier sites with showers electrical hook ups probably even broadband these days; Hollands Wood Holmsley and Ashurst; we've been going to these for years and years (mostly Ashurst recently as it's dog free) even though the price has at least doubled since the C/CC took joint control of them. But even at £80 for a 3 night stay in August for 4 it's a bargain; I just love the place so much  :)

Then there's Roundhill which is a sort of halfway house  It has showers now; I believe it's the only one that accepts motorcycles or maybe it's groups thereof.

The others are all very nice and secluded have ridden thru most on the way into and out of the inclosures but have no toilets you have to bring your own and natch I've never tried any of them.

Hope this Helps.

ps You can usually turn up on spec at any of them apart from on Bank Hols and get in (Ashurst is always full late May BH but they always take the Full signs down on the Monday as half the people leave); if not they will direct you to the nearest alternative. There are a few private sites just on the periphary in extremis.. These days it may be the case that you have to book online for the smaller sites as there is nobody on duty there out of peak season. A lot shut down after the summer and IIRC only one (basic no loos) is open all year round.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #11 on: 07 June, 2009, 08:29:36 pm »
Thanks for all the replies. I think the rather odd rules and mention of sites being full rather put me off but your responses have put those concerns to rest. It sounds very much as if we can head for the general area confident we will find a site that suits us.