Author Topic: Dynamo Powered rechargers Various  (Read 52911 times)

Re: Dynamo Powered rechargers Various
« Reply #25 on: 12 January, 2012, 12:11:49 pm »

I was asking (in a round about way admittedly) if anyone had had any bad experiences with the ewerk.

Not directly, but there was mention of this on the randon mailing list this morning (in the "Garmin Edge Questions" thread)

After completely killing my Garmin the first night of PBP I have avoided all use of hub powered USB chargers.  I think it was the fault of my homemade model, but I know of at least two cases of different eWerk units permanently disabling the USB communications function on Garmins.  Riding with the headlight on to stabilize the power spikes on high speed descents appears to provide some protection.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #26 on: 12 January, 2012, 12:36:58 pm »
I just want something to keep my Garmin Dakota running through long Audax without having to faf with batteries.  Fortunately the Dakota uses AA's so carrying/buying spares en route is not a problem. I just want reduce hassle/faffage.

Since it's an AA model, I really don't see how anything could be less faff than carrying spares and replacing them at intervals.
NB 'at intervals' not 'when necessary'.  I wouldn't wait for the battery to run right down and the unit switch off - I'd have a conservative estimate of runtime (say 12 hours or whatever) and replace when convenient at around that time.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Aushiker

• Cyclist, bushwalker, phottographer (amaturer)
    • Aushiker: Bicycling and Hiking in Western Australia
« Reply #27 on: 12 January, 2012, 12:39:16 pm »
After completely killing my Garmin the first night of PBP I have avoided all use of hub powered USB chargers.  I think it was the fault of my homemade model, but I know of at least two cases of different eWerk units permanently disabling the USB communications function on Garmins.  Riding with the headlight on to stabilize the power spikes on high speed descents appears to provide some protection.

Interesting. My PedalPower Super-I-Cable ceases supplying power to my Garmin Edge 800 when my Busch & Muller Lumotec IQ Cyo Senso Plus comes on. Don't know if this is a function of having a battery in the Super-i-Cable or my pedalling speed.  I wonder to if the battery assists in providing a buffer or protection for the Edge 800.

Andrew

« Reply #28 on: 12 January, 2012, 01:12:09 pm »
I just want something to keep my Garmin Dakota running through long Audax without having to faf with batteries.  Fortunately the Dakota uses AA's so carrying/buying spares en route is not a problem. I just want reduce hassle/faffage.

Since it's an AA model, I really don't see how anything could be less faff than carrying spares and replacing them at intervals.
NB 'at intervals' not 'when necessary'.  I wouldn't wait for the battery to run right down and the unit switch off - I'd have a conservative estimate of runtime (say 12 hours or whatever) and replace when convenient at around that time.
FYI, I've had 18hours out of 2AAs in my Garmin Hcx legend.  the unit doesn't suddenly switch off either, it gives a warning and you have quite a while before you have to switch batteries.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #29 on: 12 January, 2012, 02:10:31 pm »
So the PP+ has over voltage protection then? Is that what they're saying? 

Yes.  They actually gave details of how the protection circuit works, and by all accounts it's both clever and extremely energy-efficient.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #30 on: 12 January, 2012, 02:22:52 pm »
B+M quote a miniscule figure for the no load drag on the hub when using an e-Werk - far lower than it would be it the hub were simply shorted. Presumably the no load impedance is such that the 50V or whatever that the hub gives only puts a few mA through it.

« Reply #31 on: 12 January, 2012, 02:40:33 pm »
Well if Kim says it's clever that will do for me.
PP+ SuperI cable ordered

« Reply #32 on: 12 January, 2012, 03:28:51 pm »

Agreed, the faffage of changing batteries is minimal, especially if coincided with controls. But it is still something to remember to do.
Also if I could use the generator to keep the Garmin running, I could use the backlight more or even have it permanently on during the night.
Besides, I like the idea of the technology :) and I'm carrying a hub dynamo around so I might as well use it! 

Eddington: 114 Miles

« Reply #33 on: 12 January, 2012, 03:34:06 pm »
Very interested in the PP+ SIC now.

However.....

Interesting. My PedalPower Super-I-Cable ceases supplying power to my Garmin Edge 800 when my Busch & Muller Lumotec IQ Cyo Senso Plus comes on. Don't know if this is a function of having a battery in the Super-i-Cable or my pedalling speed.  I wonder to if the battery assists in providing a buffer or protection for the Edge 800.

Andrew

Does the cable not power the Garmin at all with the light on, not even from the cable's internal battery?

Eddington: 114 Miles

« Reply #34 on: 12 January, 2012, 03:41:01 pm »
Also if I could use the generator to keep the Garmin running, I could use the backlight more or even have it permanently on during the night.

You might find you can leave it on anyway at night.  I did some testing on the Oregon (very similar to the Dakota, I suspect), and on a low level it doesn't have too great an impact on the battery life.  You don't usually need or want a high level at night.

I discovered later that leaving it on in the dark seems to make me travel sick, mind...

« Reply #35 on: 12 January, 2012, 04:17:25 pm »
Which system - ewerk - dahon- PP+ or the Tout terrain has the tentative consensus for being a robust, solid, well designed, faffree system?

Frere

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #36 on: 12 January, 2012, 04:21:53 pm »

You might find you can leave it on anyway at night.

I've done numerous FNRttCs with the backlight of my Vista HCx permanently on at low brightness, and still had change from a single set of NiMHs.

« Reply #37 on: 13 January, 2012, 07:12:45 am »
Update  from food  processor man

I have  a design for a simple  limiter circuit that should be compatible with Dahon + Other models (ie home brew) as an after market fit.
will be deveoping  and  testing soon....

As previously posted if anyone would like to send me some hardware I will food process it  test  it to see if  it  has a similar limiter to the Pedal Power and return in working condition. I can do this by external meausurment using the processor :)

I have  been told that the PP limiter has  less drag than running with the   hub switched off. The eWerk appears to be  the same.
B+M quote a miniscule figure for the no load drag on the hub when using an e-Werk - far lower than it would be it the hub were simply shorted. Presumably the no load impedance is such that the 50V or whatever that the hub gives only puts a few mA through it.
Counter intuitively shorting the hub reduces the  drag

Interesting that we  now  have  reports of Faulty  eWerks.....

Colin's PP had a simple assembly fault - the  input  lead  was trapped under a brass pillar and  shorting the Hub

« Reply #38 on: 13 January, 2012, 07:19:00 am »
Sleepy, do you want the (broken) governor thingy off my Reecharge? I'm sure you could fix it and work out how to get it to charge something other than the proprietary USB battery.

If not, it's going in the bin.

« Reply #39 on: 13 January, 2012, 08:29:59 am »
Probably not. Repairing is  hard have  you seen modern circuit  boards? For components  read size of grains  of  sea salt.
Might  be  worth an autopsy when you get  back

« Reply #40 on: 13 January, 2012, 08:40:36 am »
Which system - ewerk - dahon- PP+ or the Tout terrain has the tentative consensus for being a robust, solid, well designed, faffree system?

Frere

Ask an  engineer .. depends on what  you  want

Dahon. We know it  is  fundamentally flawed when used  with  a SON and  Possibly Shimano Hubs. but  will be  O.K. with bottle
eWerk......
I know of at least two cases of different eWerk units permanently disabling the USB communications function on Garmins.  Riding with the headlight on to stabilize the power spikes on high speed descents appears to provide some protection.
Pedal Power  one failure due  to poor assembly (short on input lead) that any  1/2 compotent technician could have fixed in 15 mins.
Tout Terrain I know nothing.... but If  you only have one bike seems a neat idea. Who here has only one bike?
As we all kno.......n+1. The ideal number of bikes :)

« Reply #41 on: 13 January, 2012, 08:46:38 am »
Can't be the Dahon for me then. 2 x SON 28's and a Shimano N72. Leaning towards the PP+ SIC at the moment.

Frere

« Reply #42 on: 13 January, 2012, 01:43:16 pm »
Counter intuitively shorting the hub reduces the  drag
Have you tried that?
When I first had DIY switches for 2 x Lumotec Oval, I got the wiring* wrong so that both lights off shorted the hub. I noticed because of the increased vibration through the forks.

the intention was to have an independent switch for each light. With the normal primary/secondary set up, if the primary bulb blows you've no light until you replace it - you can't just switch over to the other light without stopping.

Aushiker

« Reply #43 on: 13 January, 2012, 02:03:39 pm »
Quote from: PeteJ
Does the cable not power the Garmin at all with the light on, not even from the cable's internal battery?

I have looked into this a bit more and I suspect my issue as reported might have been operator error. I was using the Super-i-Cable switch off, so in effect it was an interface between the dynamo and the Garmin.

It seems from my reading of the instructions  :facepalm: is that I should have had the Super-i-Cable turned on. This way it would have provided power to the Garmin from its battery and in turn it would have shared the dynamo power with the light and recharging of the battery at the same time.  I also think my slow speeds (I averaged around 12 km/h IIRC) wouldn't have helped.

Regards
Andrew

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #44 on: 13 January, 2012, 02:12:15 pm »
Sleepy, do you want the (broken) governor thingy off my Reecharge? I'm sure you could fix it and work out how to get it to charge something other than the proprietary USB battery.

Probably not. Repairing is  hard have  you seen modern circuit  boards? For components  read size of grains  of  sea salt.
Might  be  worth an autopsy when you get  back

It's easily repairable: basic through-hole components on a single-sided PCB.  The case prises open without special tools.  I repaired boab's a while ago.  Assuming the same failure mode, it'll need a new electrolytic capacitor and 7806 regulator.

Unfortunately, there isn't room inside the case to cram in some sort of voltage limiter, or even a capacitor with a higher voltage rating.  So unless the rider is slow or does the job of the voltage limiter manually, it's likely to fail again in the same way.

« Reply #45 on: 13 January, 2012, 05:25:11 pm »
Kim, looked through your  Dahon thread - that's a toy!

« Reply #46 on: 14 January, 2012, 11:16:03 am »
A write up on the PedalPower unit here http://middleagecyclist.blogspot.com/2011/05/pedal-power.html

At their current offer of £89.39 inc delivery that's quite tempting. http://www.pedalpower.com.au/page30.html
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Aushiker

« Reply #47 on: 14 January, 2012, 11:56:29 pm »
A write up on the PedalPower unit here http://middleagecyclist.blogspot.com/2011/05/pedal-power.html

That is a good review. It tipped the balance for me in favour of Super-i-Cable. That plus the battery setup in the PedalPower.

Andrew

« Reply #48 on: 15 January, 2012, 03:59:42 pm »
I have  just  posted  the  solution to the  Dahons  terminal failure onto the  end  of  Kim's  review
http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=40524.msg836662#msg836662

« Reply #49 on: 15 January, 2012, 04:05:07 pm »
If you  buy  a  Pedal Power  keep it  dry  this one was  out  in Scottish mist - The case  is  unsealed.

After soldering  on a  new  contact (piece of  springy  brass and  greasing the  contact  points, the  connection was  still intermittent so I added  an O ring to pull the  clip tight. This clip could  be  a  reliability problem even without  the  water Scottish  mist  :)

This  was  the  unit  with the Cable  fault - the  lead  had been trapped under  a  fixing here  you  can see  what  happened