Author Topic: The Crooked House has burnt down!  (Read 11075 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
The Crooked House has burnt down!
« on: 06 August, 2023, 01:03:22 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-66421163

Oprah Flash reports this hostelry are gutted.
So am I!

Re: The Crooked House has burnt down!
« Reply #1 on: 06 August, 2023, 01:08:43 pm »
That strikes me as a bit dodgy.
It only changed hands very recently to be used as something other than a pub.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2 on: 06 August, 2023, 01:13:45 pm »
Cough cough insewerants job cough.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3 on: 06 August, 2023, 01:15:36 pm »
The ultimate listed building?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4 on: 06 August, 2023, 01:29:13 pm »
Listing, not listed, unfortunately  :(

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5 on: 06 August, 2023, 01:49:10 pm »
Definitely dodgy.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #7 on: 06 August, 2023, 03:49:16 pm »
Listing, not listed, unfortunately  :(

I believe it is, a Grade II listing. Insurance seems a bit blatant, more likely IMO a disgruntled yokel doing the new purchaser out of their gain.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8 on: 06 August, 2023, 04:27:12 pm »
From what I gather, the building's Listing was open to some debate but I've not read a lot...

« Reply #9 on: 06 August, 2023, 04:40:51 pm »
Not listed as listed on the Historic England website.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #10 on: 07 August, 2023, 04:51:41 pm »
Apparently, the band that was due to play there the night it burnt down was called Gasoline & Matches.

Spooky coincidence... OR IS IT???
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #12 on: 07 August, 2023, 05:13:13 pm »
At £3m a pop you would think that they would know when and when not to install grey windows.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

ian

« Reply #13 on: 07 August, 2023, 06:48:05 pm »
It's uncanny how many buildings with difficult planning conditions burn down shortly after being purchased by developers. I can't explain it. Maybe it's aliens.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #14 on: 07 August, 2023, 06:58:27 pm »
Spooky!
All credit to Westminster Council, who insisted a pub was rebuilt brick by brick, when some developers thought they could unmolish a pub under cover of darkness and got Found Out.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #15 on: 07 August, 2023, 07:04:56 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-64895756

Norty family knocked a pub down. Have to rebuild it, plus got a fine.
It is simpler than it looks.

ian

« Reply #16 on: 07 August, 2023, 07:29:22 pm »
The Greyhound in Sydenham was oopsy demolished by the developers, who evidently thought no one would notice. Lewisham did and they had to rebuild in its entirety.

« Reply #17 on: 07 August, 2023, 07:32:08 pm »
https://www.ourwarwickshire.org.uk/content/article/farewell-great-western-arms-warwick

Rather a naïve view. Developers started work to convert it, ran into problems, then left it to deteriorate until scrotes burned it down. It's now a row of mediocre houses in a location that regularly exceeds WHO safe limits on air pollution because of traffic. It was a so-so pub in a very striking building.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #18 on: 07 August, 2023, 07:35:16 pm »
Apparently, the band that was due to play there the night it burnt down was called Gasoline & Matches.

Spooky coincidence... OR IS IT???
Article from local rag here: https://www.expressandstar.com/news/local-hubs/dudley/2023/08/07/band-with-unfortunate-name-responds-to-awful-coincidence-over-cancelled-crooked-house-gig/
In another coincidence the morris side featured further down is the one my wife dances with, she is on the far right of the picture.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #19 on: 07 August, 2023, 08:14:14 pm »
BBC Midlands Today had an item this evening where the Fire Brigade chap said that newly tipped mounds of earth were in the lane and driveway leading to the pub, preventing his trucks getting nearer than about 800yards - so much unrolling of hoses and presumably delay in getting the water there.

« Reply #20 on: 07 August, 2023, 08:26:02 pm »
The Greyhound in Sydenham was oopsy demolished by the developers, who evidently thought no one would notice. Lewisham did and they had to rebuild in its entirety.
I went past that in a mini-cab whilst it was burning.

« Reply #21 on: 07 August, 2023, 08:37:30 pm »
BBC Midlands Today had an item this evening where the Fire Brigade chap said that newly tipped mounds of earth were in the lane and driveway leading to the pub, preventing his trucks getting nearer than about 800yards - so much unrolling of hoses and presumably delay in getting the water there.

Big delay.  The despatched response to a bog standard building fire would be 2 trucks here unless there were special circumstances.  The compliment of hose on a standard truck in my neck of the woods is 9x25m lengths so you would need at least 4 trucks there before you can even reach 800m.  The person in charge of the first two pumps will have requested extra as soon as they arrived and had a few seconds to scope out the problem, but add to that delay the fact that truck 3 and 4 will be coming from further away you presume.

Don’t even ask about issues with pressure loss due to friction over that distance if you can’t get a second and even third pump in the middle of the run somewhere to boost the pressure again.  In that situation, you are going to be struggling to get an effective firefighting effort in place in anything like a quick time if all the hose and portable pumps had to be lugged in from 800m away. I have run a water supply in over that kind of distance a couple of times in the past and blowing out of my arse and frothing at the mouth explains the physical result best.  No wonder it was a total loss.  The fire investigation report will make interesting reading me thinks.

ian

« Reply #22 on: 07 August, 2023, 08:49:36 pm »
The Maypole at the end of our street in Brockley disappeared quite quickly. I don't think anyone cried, the one time we went in there, conversation really did stop dead and everyone looked at us. The average prison is probably more welcoming to sex offenders. We left quickly. Some friends of ours made the same mistake and the barman told them the pub was 'full' even though it had two customers. The one thing they didn't need was more bitter. Not that the main trade seemed to be beer, more class A, which meant there was a perma-beef going on between them and the Jamaican Jerk Chicken and Drugs shack under the train bridge. I figured those machetes weren't there for conveniently deboning chicken pieces. Their jerk chicken was very good though and they were cheerful and chatty. Even the police would partake, post the business-as-usual raids (National Rail would demolish their illegal shack every two months or so and it would back within a day, owing to the fact their entire business consisted of some plywood, an oil-drum bbq, and a blackboard for the price list).

Being among the early gentrifiers of SE4 was interesting. Now it's all middle-class mums and dad's with their indulged children, eeking that period of their family lives before they head out for the better schools of the home counties.

If I recall, the Greyhold was already closed, hence the developers chancing it (I didn't realise it had burned, thought they had just demolished it).

« Reply #23 on: 07 August, 2023, 08:53:15 pm »
No. It was toast. Onna Xmas eve if I recall. I was on my way home from my Mum's.

« Reply #24 on: 07 August, 2023, 10:40:38 pm »
I liked that pub, and when they served Banks' Bitter.