Author Topic: [HAMR] 15th January - TG day 161  (Read 13276 times)

[HAMR] 15th January - TG day 161
« on: 15 January, 2016, 08:10:22 am »
He either slept in the forecourt of an Esso garage in Lowestoft last night, found a B&B, or got a lift back home....or maybe non of them. Soon find out, though.

Lift to Tadcaster by the looks of it. He's off at just after 8am from a Travelodge East of there.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Re: 15th January - TG day 161
« Reply #1 on: 15 January, 2016, 08:56:25 am »
Have a good day Steve.  On this day last year you clocked 190 miles

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2 on: 15 January, 2016, 09:16:58 am »
Good luck Steve! I don't know about Tadcaster but it's a tad nippy down here.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #3 on: 15 January, 2016, 09:27:52 am »
Looking like there's been a change of plan perhaps?  Steve appears to be at York railway station, or rather was 41 minutes ago.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #4 on: 15 January, 2016, 09:39:36 am »
Yep, is now heading SW down the A64 towards Tadcaster. A real change of scenery.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #5 on: 15 January, 2016, 09:59:19 am »
Yep, is now heading SW down the A64 towards Tadcaster. A real change of scenery.

That's a fast stretch of DC between York and Leeds. Bargepole  ;)

SoreTween

« Reply #6 on: 15 January, 2016, 10:13:20 am »
Phew!  I feared conditions were worse than expected out there and Steve was getting the train home.  That would have been a shame having got himself transferred up there last night to take advantage of todays northerly.

« Reply #7 on: 15 January, 2016, 10:20:11 am »
Railway stations are always a good source for fast supplies even if you don't need a train.

Chris S

« Reply #8 on: 15 January, 2016, 10:25:28 am »
Conditions were unbelievably shite when I collected him in Lowestoft last night. Heavy wind-driven wet, sleety snow. The roads were slushy, except where they were flooded. Apparently, he'd had to negotiate fallen trees in the forest, earlier - as well as snowy roads.

Anyway, he made himself a little nest on the second row of seats in the van, reserved the last room in the Premier Inn at Tad, and slept all the way from Norwich to the hotel.

The nightwatchman at the hotel was a complete knobber and wouldn't let Steve in with his bike, so we had to squander valuable sleeping time transferring to the Travelodge t'other side of the A64. The lovely lady there was much more helpful - we managed to bypass the usual "No, we're full I'm afraid" which is TL policy for anyone who just turns up. Judging by the start-time on the tracker, Steve probably had another 3-4 hours sleep.

For someone who's riding 200 miles a day through a British winter, he looks and seems in remarkably good spirits.

The plan is for him to ride the tailwind today - but plans may change, as always - so keep watching that tracker!

« Reply #9 on: 15 January, 2016, 10:28:01 am »
Huge thanks, Chris.  Brilliant work.

« Reply #10 on: 15 January, 2016, 10:33:55 am »
Conditions were unbelievably shite when I collected him in Lowestoft last night. Heavy wind-driven wet, sleety snow. The roads were slushy, except where they were flooded. Apparently, he'd had to negotiate fallen trees in the forest, earlier - as well as snowy roads.

Anyway, he made himself a little nest on the second row of seats in the van, reserved the last room in the Premier Inn at Tad, and slept all the way from Norwich to the hotel.

The nightwatchman at the hotel was a complete knobber and wouldn't let Steve in with his bike, so we had to squander valuable sleeping time transferring to the Travelodge t'other side of the A64. The lovely lady there was much more helpful - we managed to bypass the usual "No, we're full I'm afraid" which is TL policy for anyone who just turns up. Judging by the start-time on the tracker, Steve probably had another 3-4 hours sleep.

For someone who's riding 200 miles a day through a British winter, he looks and seems in remarkably good spirits.

The plan is for him to ride the tailwind today - but plans may change, as always - so keep watching that tracker!

nicely done

simonp

« Reply #11 on: 15 January, 2016, 10:59:12 am »
Nice work, Chris - that's a long trip.

« Reply #12 on: 15 January, 2016, 11:08:32 am »
Chris doesn't work Fridays (lucky thing) so is mostly spending today in bed.

No such luxury for our man on two wheels...

It's good to hear he's in good spirits  :thumbsup:

If this is going to be an ongoing thing I should maybe stock the freezer with stews he can eat en route?

« Reply #13 on: 15 January, 2016, 11:14:31 am »

He only went NE away from Tadcaster on the A64. Don't believe Google's attempt at connecting the dots from the tracker. The points on the dark blue line are where he definitely went, the light blue line is Google's guesswork at connecting the dots.

He hasn't been to York railway station either. Looks like he went to The Munch Station cafe nearby.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

SoreTween

« Reply #14 on: 15 January, 2016, 11:34:03 am »
+1  :thumbsup:  Must have been a damn long night.

« Reply #15 on: 15 January, 2016, 12:21:26 pm »
Top work from both Chris and Steve.      :thumbsup:

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #16 on: 15 January, 2016, 12:35:47 pm »
+1  :thumbsup:  Must have been a damn long night.

Great stuff, Chris. I hope Steve has a chance of minimising his losses today, and it would be good to see him moving into positive mileage territory.

« Reply #17 on: 15 January, 2016, 12:45:45 pm »

Well done Chris!  I'm especially glad to hear that last bit about his condition.  The challenge is one thing, but Steve's well-being is far more important, and it's great news that he appears to be bearing up.  What an effort!
The sound of one pannier flapping

Ben T

« Reply #18 on: 15 January, 2016, 01:03:30 pm »
The nightwatchman at the hotel was a complete knobber and wouldn't let Steve in with his bike
report him/complain - it's apparently their policy to allow bikes in now as "since the tour de france we are now a cycle friendly chain"

« Reply #19 on: 15 January, 2016, 01:07:40 pm »
Top man, Chris!
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #20 on: 15 January, 2016, 02:27:52 pm »
Excellent - Well done Chris :thumbsup:
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

« Reply #21 on: 15 January, 2016, 03:28:30 pm »
Well done sir!
As Ben T says Premier Inn have a policy (its on their website somewhere) about allowing bikes inside  - so, although it may seem a small thing, I agree that you should complain.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #22 on: 15 January, 2016, 03:29:35 pm »
Good to read that update, Chris S.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #23 on: 15 January, 2016, 03:38:17 pm »
Chris S, help for heroes, is himself heroic.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #24 on: 15 January, 2016, 03:54:20 pm »
Well done Chris

So far today per the Tracker TG has done 83 miles in 8hrs 11mins and Kasja has done 83 miles in 8 hrs 5 mins. Apart from fact that Kasja soon be back home and in the warm while TG has another 8 hours or so... need for more speed TG

Hope he's in good shape - unbelievable ability to keep going.
Old fat and slow